Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Challenger ForumZ is Proud to Present our Member of the Month for September 2019.​
CanyonGuy MOTM.JPG

So I bought this cool car and I was cruising the Internet looking for info. I'm a facts and figures kinda guy. Ran across a forum where some cool people were hanging out talking about Challengers and other neat stuff. I registered and posted a couple pics of my car. Next thing I know, they're hoisting me up on their shoulders and waving frothy beer mugs in the air. Cool!

My name is Steve and I live in Magdalena, New Mexico, USA. Actually 5 miles south of Magdalena in Hop Canyon in the Magdalena Mountains. You have honored me beyond what you know. I'm just a guy hanging around killing time in my golden years. Lol. To merely say Thank You is hardly sufficient. But, Thank You!

I've been a car guy most of my life. My dad was a tank mechanic in the Army and he kept up his skills working on the family, and neighbor's, vehicles. Learned how to change oil, spark plugs, tires, set timing, points, etc. by the time I was 10. I've had over 20 cars in my life, most of them performance or sport oriented. I have previously had two other Challengers, original models. My first was a 1970 Plum Crazy 318/auto in the late '70s. The other was a 1970 SE model that someone swapped a heated-up 383 into. It had a cam and headers and a Holley 4 bbl and was a blast! Got rid of that in 1992.

My current 2017 R/T reminds me the most of that old SE. It has the sound, feel and better performance than that modded 383. Driving this car brings me right back to the old days of cruising around aimlessly just cuz you've got a cool car. I do a lot of that these days. I'm retired and have copious amounts of free time!

There have been two major interests in my life. One is cars, the other is music. I've played guitar since the 6th grade when my grandma got me my first guitar for Christmas, from Monkey Wards, lol. Been in bands from high school days but stopped playing during the '80s-90s while I worked at real jobs. I had a heart attack in winter of 2000. It was mild and the doctors went to put in a stent but sent me back to my room after 20 minutes. I had major blockage of four arteries and ended up with a quadruple bypass instead. I was 44 at the time. It changed my outlook. I picked up my guitar again and resolved to get out of the rat race and made plans to retire ASAP. Made the goal and retired at 55 in April 2011. Had bought this land in 1999 as a retirement home so made the call, sold the house in Minneapolis and moved down here in July of 2011.

I recently somehow lost interest in playing in bands. That's where the Challenger comes in. It has given me a lot of enjoyment and really filled the gap. It's back to my other primary interest now. Funny how life works sometimes. Anyway, driving around, detailing my car, just plain looking at is great! And now running into you all is icing on the cake. Like some others here, I don't do other social networks. This is the social network for me. This is one of those rare places that has transcended the forum status and become a true community. When I started ghosting here I saw people who were really friends. They knew each other's names, their families, their ongoing activities, a real digital neighborhood. I was part of a guitar forum that was like this and the same feeling is there.

I've rambled long enough I think! I don't know if any of that made sense, lol. To end, I would simply like to say thank you again. Thank you for this honor, and thank you for welcoming me into your community.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Congrats Steve on becoming our newest MOTM! I really enjoyed your FANTASTIC story brother!!!

Reactions: CanyonGuy

·
What's Old is New Again!
36,745 Posts
Congratulations, Steve!!! So nice you've joined our forum!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2016 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,100 Posts
Great story Steve! Nice to know your first name! Congratulations to you becoming our newest MOTM! Glad you are enjoying the forum. A great group here. I have enjoyed all your pictures of NM. Keep posting!

·
Mr. Bill
2009 SRT8 with a performance few mods having a Diablo custom tune.
3,220 Posts
High Five Steve. Great background you come from and shows to go ya, you're in the right place here with the rest of us. ;)

·
Now that was dumb!
6,003 Posts
Congrats Steve!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
49,359 Posts
Congrats Steve, you really have become a family member. Funny how Z members are Also into , Dogs, Cats, Music. Great write up.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.