Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having my Rocker panels replaced today and figured I would ask about the recall. Service writer said if it was his car he wouldn't have it done. He said it is a big job and with the amount of failures they have seen it wasn't worth it. He stated the recall follows the car for ten years and you are under no obligation to have it done. In addition if the chain were to fail say 6 years from now it would still be covered. I don't know what to think about this.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Is he willing to put that in writing? I can't see them paying for a timing chain break several years from now when a person ignored a recall that would have fixed it. I've replaced timing chains in older cars, its not that tough of a job.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is he willing to put that in writing? I can't see them paying for a timing chain break several years from now when a person ignored a recall that would have fixed it. I've replaced timing chains in older cars, its not that tough of a job.
I'm sure on older cars it wasn't that bad. Service guy told me it's a real pain in the a$$ on these cars.

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
It might be a real PIA for him as he has to change it, but if it isn't costing you anything and you aren't doing the wrenching, my opinion is to get it done. Preventative maintenance might save you an even bigger PIA in the future.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
What!?

Let's take a look at this...:4-dontknow:… Post after post about timing chains breaking stretched out over several Threads… Members voicing their opinion that Dodge should do something about this…Dodge steps up to the plate and says OK we'll do something about this and now a Service Writer says HE wouldn't get it done because of some sort of PITA?
Does he figure a Bomb waiting to go off at some point is not worth Fixing Now?
Your call… Better now than later when the pistons are shot and the valves bent; then you can talk PITA!

Just my most humble opinion...

·
Believe . . . . . . just believe!
6,071 Posts
I'm with dodge man on this, get it in writing. :i_rolleyes: Timing chains are a pain whether old or new but when they go, they can take a lot out with them and then they're a bigger PITA! :str:

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,406 Posts
So I was having my Rocker panels replaced today and figured I would ask about the recall. Service writer said if it was his car he wouldn't have it done. He said it is a big job and with the amount of failures they have seen it wasn't worth it. He stated the recall follows the car for ten years and you are under no obligation to have it done. In addition if the chain were to fail say 6 years from now it would still be covered. I don't know what to think about this.
JMO--Find yourself a new dealership, or speak to a professional next time---that guy's an IDIOT.---:smiledown:

I guess if there's a recall for the transmission, he'll tell you that's a real pain in the a$$ also.--:4-looney:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
I agree with the predominant opinion here, I would rather get it fixed now rather than waiting for the timing chain to fail while cruising at 70+ mph on the interstate, when the dash lights up like a xmas tree as all power cuts off and have to limp your Challenger to the shoulder.

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
I agree with the predominant opinion here, I would rather get it fixed now rather than waiting for the timing chain to fail while cruising at 70+ mph on the interstate, when the dash lights up like a xmas tree as all power cuts off and have to limp your Challenger to the shoulder.
I agree, why wait for something bad to happen!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
If I were to do it on my own car, it would probably take me all day or even part of a second day. If I then did another car, the second on would probably only take me 4 hours. I've looked at the job, its not really any tougher on a newer car than an older one.

·
Premium Member
9,143 Posts
If I were to do it on my own car, it would probably take me all day or even part of a second day. If I then did another car, the second on would probably only take me 4 hours. I've looked at the job, its not really any tougher on a newer car than an older one.
I have to agree. With the exception of a couple of special cheep tools...and some trepidation about haveing to do something or other with the computer afterwards....this really doesn't seem like a big deal job. Probably about a full day or so for me too...but only becouse I'd be learning on the first one and being so carefull. Just has a side note...I can't speak for all dealerships...but in my experience with family working at....and my own time spent in dealership shops..............well...if anyone in Z land who knows what I'm talking about can say they have seen the same or different.....when is the last time you saw a car going back together for a job like this one where the mechanic used a torque wrench on the oil pan bolts....or the alternator hold down bolt....or the ect...ect...ect. I won't even tell you how the preferred method of torquing that big damper bolt was except to say it involved a breaker bar and tapping the starter with the coil disconnected.....or maybe that was how they broke them loose....but I sure never seen a torque wrench in use except for head or rod bolts or such. This used to just drive me NUTS!!! Not on MY car...I'll do it myself thank you!!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, while I was at the dealer today I was watching the guy's do some motor work on a Dodge Ram. Tools on the fenders, no soft matts placed anywhere. i thought to myself if this were my car I would be blowing a gasket. Keep in mind this is a 5 star rated dealership. Now I will be honest here, if I were keeping my car for the long haul I would have it done. I plan on trading it in before the 5 year power train warranty is up. At that point I will have less then 20k miles, with MDS disabled the chances of me having this issue are extremely small. If it does happen it will be repaired under warranty and will get traded in then. Now the gentleman who advised me not to have this done knew this information and based his advice on that. I really don't think he gave me bad advice at all. It was an educated decision based on the current information. He even went as far as to admit this might not even fix the issue. Chrysler is just changing all these parts hoping it will resolve the issue. Only time will tell at this point.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
yeah my dealer said its a few hour job. already ordered parts and waiting for the call.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
He even went as far as to admit this might not even fix the issue. Chrysler is just changing all these parts hoping it will resolve the issue. Only time will tell at this point.

BINGO !!

Until the underlying issue is disclosed I would not have any work done on an MDS AUTO.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
I agree with Dodge man2 & FOF, this isn't a major overhaul, it's replacing some parts. If you've previously done a timing chain (pick a single cam motor) the principle is the same and it's not like you're entering into unexplored territory. If you don't typically fix your own junk then I wouldn't suggest trying this as a first time project.
The 'special tools' aren't even that special. Anyone who wrenches probably has a gear puller. That 'special pin tool' for the tensioner - you can use the appropriate size drift or even an 8 penny nail if you don't want to buy a pin with a round loop on the end - it only holds the tensioner back while you install the new chain and sprockets.
The point here is that, for me anyway, anything I HAVE to fix is a PITA - be it brakes, starter, alternator, waterpump etc. I can always be doing something else.
Mods are fun because I want to do it and I pick the time. Our OCD is sending a signal to our brains that just wont accept anyone else touching our cars.....we all know that nobody is going to take care of it like we do. If this was any other vehicle we'd be signed up waiting in line for the dealer to fix it free and we wouldn't even think twice about it.
I have time to wait until I take the car out of storage. At that time I'll start popping in at a few dealwrships and talk with them before I make a choice.......
Maybe by then they'll issue a recall on the intake manifolds and tell us we need to bring it in and have a maggie installed at no charge.......I wonder what the response to that would be???

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,112 Posts
Nice dream Jon!!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I have to admit, I don't use a torque wrench for most stuff, only critical stuff, like adjusting bands on a transmission or something else that is critical. About the only other thing I use one for on a regular basis is lug nuts. It seems like some things you need a torque wrench for you don't have room to use it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.