Dodge Challenger Forum banner

"Shaker" Hood... Does It Really Work?

14K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  68Coronet 
#1 · (Edited)
It works! :)

#3 ·
I love the shaker.
When it fed directly into a carburetor, it was very functional. Today, I believe it's almost completely for looks since it no longer feeds directly into the intake. Almost all the air comes from the side mounted CAI with a small, probably insignificant boost from the shaker. As far as I can tell, my T/A hood intake feeds much more directly into the side mounted CAI. Nothing against the shaker. I just believe it's more for looks than function.

#4 ·
I love the shaker.
When it fed directly into a carburetor, it was very functional. Today, I believe it's almost completely for looks since it no longer feeds directly into the intake. Almost all the air comes from the side mounted CAI with a small, probably insignificant boost from the shaker. As far as I can tell, my T/A hood intake feeds much more directly into the side mounted CAI. Nothing against the shaker. I just believe it's more for looks than function.
I disagree. The original "shaker" design directed more air to the intake, because it had too. With the new design, there are multiple points of access. From what's I've seen, no (non-charged) system will supply as much cold air to your HEMI intake than the Shaker system. If I ever get into a 392, it will be a Shaker.

#7 ·
I’m sure it pulls air in but probably very little to no ram air affect. Probably the intake in the headlight does the best. None of the Hemi air intake systems from 2008 to current are going to starve the engine for air. Some probably do a better job on keeping the air temps lower.

#8 · (Edited)
Another 392 hood alternative, would be to install a carbon fiber hood w/4 x lock pins for complete removal. These were somewhat popular in the 1970's. Back then they used fiberglass.

If I can find a carbon fiber Shaker hood for my Challenger 50, I'm getting it. I think it would look a lot better than the satin painted hood. I could get a faux CF wrap, but there's no weight relief there. There's also the fact that metal absorbs heat and cools... I think CF would act as an insulator. Same goes with wrap; which is probably why Mopar doesn't wrap the hood. That, or the heat would peel the wrap. :unsure:

#10 ·
Who cares whether it works or not. It looks great!

#38 ·
You can make your shaker work to add cooler air. Remove the top section "hat" to better access & remove the shaker inlet duct. Then using Thermo tape wrap the duct with a double wrapping of the tape. Also added the Hellcat head light duct as well. Works for me in hot
Hood Light Car Vehicle Automotive fuel system
SW FL at cruising speeds air inlet temp is 5 degrees above ambient at 40 - 80 mph. But I also wrapped the outside of the air box with thermo sheets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.