Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I finally decided what trim and color to order, a scat pack widebody almost totally loaded in Sinamon Stick. It was tough choice between it and a 1320 or regular body shaker with the brass monkey wheels. But I can get the caramel interior and will have big enough wheels already and better handling and it should be quick enough for the street I think. The only thing I'm trying to decide is if I should get the shaker or not. I think it does look a little meaner and you get the white faced gauges. Its kind of a pricey option, but then again not really that much of a difference in payments when you consider its a mid-to-high 50's car. As long as my 20k or so estimate in trade equity is accurate and won't take a nose dive in the next couple months which I doubt with the current conditions.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
IMO, Shakers are a very cool option. That said, I still can't believe they work like the old ones considering how they duct air to the engine. Seems the best option for that is the Mopar CAI with the headlight tubes.

·
Registered
2015 r/t plus shaker,blasting bobs reso delete kit with glass packs87 mm throttle body hemifever tun
516 Posts
with a shaker you have 3 air sources going to the air box the open bottom, tube from shake base to air box and head light tube option.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I hear no real performance gain. It probably evens add some weight, but I would'nt think more than a few pounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my Shaker RT Plus for a year now, and I don't think I would give it up next time for the visual aspect alone.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
884 Posts
I think Shakers stand out and really give that Muscle Car throwback, but the thing is do you really want it or not? If your asking then it sounds a big unsure and its one of those things you can change but id say if you like it and want it get it, If your back and forward on it then wait till your sure you want it then get the kit or parts and install it but hang on to the old hood etc., If I could move up to a R/T etc., id want a Shaker especially if you got a Manual Transmission.

·
Premium Member
19,085 Posts
Its basically a decision of aesthetics. If you like the old school,muscle look of a Shaker Hood, get it. What's nice about the Shaker is not only will you enjoy the overall outside effect of it, but the inside driver's view as well. I've always wanted it and don't regret for a second that I got it. I would not have bought a new Challenger w/o it.
If you're going for that kind of money,make sure you get everything you want. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I didn’t buy the car I have I would have bought an F8 Scat Shaker, very nice.
I really like the F8 too and think its the best looking color on the Challenger. But I already have a green car and wanted something different. IDK, it is a totally different shade of green though and is different than what you normally see.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't have it, but here's my perception. TLDR, no, if money is a concern I would not pay the price for a shaker.

1. It's unbelievably cool looking, especially when it comes alive. I absolutely love hood scoops and things of this nature.
2. I have heard it's another step in an oil change, that it must be removed. I don't know, but I'd want the answer to that. I'm not a fan of "more hassle."
3. I've heard it drains water onto your engine. I don't know if that's true but I'd sure look into it.
4. I don't know how much if any performance gain it brings. I've got hood slits that bring air into the engine and I've never felt the car was starving for air. I'd also want to contrast that with the aerodynamic drag, if any, of having a big air catch on the hood. It may all be irrelevant semantics, but this is part of the analysis.
5. I don't know the added cost, but I think it's somewhere around $2500 new. I personally would not pay $2500 for it absent documented serious performance gains. The $2500 could be used somewhere better IMO. For instance, I'd go with a bigger motor over a cosmetic improvement, as an example.
A quick look at build packages for NEW cars, shows:
The upgrade from manual to auto 8 is $1500, in the RT with a 5.7L.
The upgrade from a normal RT 5.7L to a 6.4L is $5,000.

Here's how I'd option it out if I were counting dollars to max my enjoyment and performance.
Manual, 6.4L. No sunroof, no shaker. Trim a few options here and there, like saving money on the Alpine system... Skip the costly technology groups like driver assisted nonsense, several hundreds or even a couple thousand dollars in bloatware technology that you don't need.

I'd sooner save the $1300 with no sunroof, save $1500 on getting a manual, save $500 by taking the Alpine system, spend $5000 on a 6.4L and skip the $2500 shaker. The manual is very enjoyable, and the 6.4L is a lot more power. The shaker isn't likely to deliver the joy of the manual nor the added performance of the larger motor.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm with you on some points dodgenovice, but have a different opinion on others. I agree things like technology group (unless you live or work in a busy city), sunroof, SRT spoiler and red calipers are not needed, but to me the plus package is a must for the cooled seats and leather and you have to get the convenience group with it. If you are getting updated audio, might as well get the best with the subwoofer and go with the HK. Although not needed either, I really like the look of the carbon interior package so check that box. I'm getting the auto trans since it is quicker and only way you can get remote start. Plus it only actually costs you $500 more than the manual because of the gas guzzler tax with it. So that only leaves NAV (which may be worth it to keep your eyes closer to the road), hood pins and the shaker that I'm not sure is worth the extra dough. Why? Because they look cool and are less common so I guess from your outlook, they should not be checked since they don't add any measurable performance.

On the other hand if you want all out performance on a budget, a stripped 1320 with cloth seats and rear seat delete would be the way to go. But I'm not looking for a weekend race car, I want a comfortable DD that is somewhat practical, mean looking with some bling and still faster than most cars on the road. Btw, I hadn't heard anything about water getting in the shaker. I would think more would get in the vents on the regular hood. Also not sure about more work changing the oil with one. Anyone else know anything about this?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Well, IMO, no one should pass up the 8 speed auto. Performance wise it beats the manual and when you drive in Sport, it is F'ing amazing. To me my single most important option. 2nd would be my 19 speaker HK sub-woofer system with Uconnect 8.4. I am somewhat of an audio-file and listening to tunes is very important. This system sounds amazing. Playing with the performance pages is also fun. I had a lower system in my other Challenger and it sounded like any other base model sound system. Good for talk radio only. I wouldn't even consider a 3rd party system. I did that also. I like the Shaker but don't have one. it's for looks not performance. Personally for me, the cosmetic stuff is VERY important which is why I bought a T/A. Most of my mods are cosmetic and that's what brings the complements. If performance means everything, go with the 6.4. If 70's fast is fast enough, go with the 5.7. I think the 5.7, 2017 and up with the 2 3/4" exhaust, sound better.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't say that mailman. I'm just ready to buy right now and its my luck it's a bad time as far as inventory and rebates. Like I said, there were several that are very close to what I would want (down to maybe one option or 2nd or 3rd choice in color instead of first). I just dont know if it's worth it to take the chance it may take 3 or 4 months to get it at this point when I could go out and get one now that may not be "perfect" and maybe save a couple grand too?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I say get the shaker. But I’m a little biased…. View attachment 278309
That does look gorgeous in F8! It has me second guessing my color choice again. I'm thinking either F8 (with the red calipers), Octane, Hellraisin or just sticking with Sinamon Stick. I'm also wondering if I should reschedule an appointment to look at that loaded narrow body shaker in Sinamon with the caramel seats? It had everything except the HK (had the Alpine). I don't think the narrow body would be that bad with the dynamics and AD, plus you can get the brass monkey wheels and the tan interior in the exterior colors I like. I'm also still thinking of the 1320. Now that I may be taking a new job that pays better and is offering a 1k bonus every month for a year, I could afford a couple extra set of wheels and/or tires if I went with the drag pack. But then again, not sure about ordering a new car when starting a new job. I'm sure they don't check into it like they do with a house mortgage though.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If you’re going to buy, buy now. All the signs are we’re getting ready for hyperinflation. If you haven’t lived through that before, it’s a shocker.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Shaker, A8, F8 Green
32 Posts
That does look gorgeous in F8! It has me second guessing my color choice again. I'm thinking either F8 (with the red calipers), Octane, Hellraisin or just sticking with Sinamon Stick. I'm also wondering if I should reschedule an appointment to look at that loaded narrow body shaker in Sinamon with the caramel seats? It had everything except the HK (had the Alpine). I don't think the narrow body would be that bad with the dynamics and AD, plus you can get the brass monkey wheels and the tan interior in the exterior colors I like. I'm also still thinking of the 1320. Now that I may be taking a new job that pays better and is offering a 1k bonus every month for a year, I could afford a couple extra set of wheels and/or tires if I went with the drag pack. But then again, not sure about ordering a new car when starting a new job. I'm sure they don't check into it like they do with a house mortgage though.
I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those colors really. I haven’t really noticed that much difference between the Alpine and the HK stereo, but I’m definitely not an audiophile and I haven’t really pushed the HK.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts