Dodge Challenger Forum banner
181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I actually bought an 18" winter/tire set a month before I got my car. But we attempted to put them on Friday night and the fronts didn't fit over the brembo's. I don't understand it as the previous owners used them for 2 winters on his scat pack and I thought the 1320 had the same size brakes as the base scat pack. So right now I'm riding with the black 20" drag wheels on the front and chrome 18" wheels with winter tires on the back. I'm thinking one of those spacers with the adapters (if that is what you call it) may work as it looked to be about an inch or so to where the rim gets a little bigger. I know I should have measured it as I'm not sure if 1.25 will work or if I should try 1.5 or even 2" to be sure. I hate to have them stick out too much though. I also did a quick search for 19" wheels, but that would be pricey and it doesn't look like they make the vision 5 rims in that size anyway.
my guess is you should have researched and asked more questions on the set of winter tires/rims you purchased.

i would defiantly not stick the fronts on spacers so they fit..call tire rack order the correct setup and sell the set you have...i mean seriously it's not a clown car you bought.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
I did. The previous owner had them on his scat pack with no issues and from my understanding the brakes are the same, four piston Brembo's. No way am I spending at least $1350 (or more if I have to go bigger than 18's). I could almost buy a winter beater for that and I already spent $600 on these wheels and they are in really good shape. I mean I guess I could try to sell them, but its getting pretty late in the season. Some guys on a Challenger group on Facebook are saying 1.5" spacers should work, but I might want to put them on all four wheels. They are not saying why though. I'm assuming its just the looks but may be something to do with the ride too as I did hear widening the track can improve handling, but in my case not really needed for a winter set. If I were to get all four though, it would end up costing me well over $120. IDK, I do still have my Mustang winter set I could try to sell and if I could get a decent amount out of the Challenger set I just bought, I may have about 1/2 of the cost of a new set. But then again, its going to take time and effort to try to sell them and then order the new set and we are getting up against it as it is supposed to get really cold by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you have the Dynamics Package, you have the big 6 piston brakes on your car and you will need to go to 20" wheels to clear them. Look on the sticker.

The fact you actually bought a car is amazing!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did. The previous owner had them on his scat pack with no issues and from my understanding the brakes are the same, four piston Brembo's. No way am I spending at least $1350 (or more if I have to go bigger than 18's). I could almost buy a winter beater for that and I already spent $600 on these wheels and they are in really good shape. I mean I guess I could try to sell them, but its getting pretty late in the season. Some guys on a Challenger group on Facebook are saying 1.5" spacers should work, but I might want to put them on all four wheels. They are not saying why though. I'm assuming its just the looks but may be something to do with the ride too as I did hear widening the track can improve handling, but in my case not really needed for a winter set. If I were to get all four though, it would end up costing me well over $120. IDK, I do still have my Mustang winter set I could try to sell and if I could get a decent amount out of the Challenger set I just bought, I may have about 1/2 of the cost of a new set. But then again, its going to take time and effort to try to sell them and then order the new set and we are getting up against it as it is supposed to get really cold by the end of the week.
the reason to run spacers all the way around is so the tires track in the lines they were engineered to be in. typically the front and rear tires are in line and if you were pushing thru snow or water they work together to provide the best traction.

i have a 4x4 dully truck it is crazy bad in the winter as the tires dont track in each others path. my srw truck will run circles around it in the snow

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
If you have the Dynamics Package, you have the big 6 piston brakes on your car and you will need to go to 20" wheels to clear them. Look on the sticker.

The fact you actually bought a car is amazing!
Mine is a 1320 and is supposed to come with the 4 piston Brembo's (although I wouldn't be shocked if they put the wrong brakes on it at this point with all the other issues I've had with this car). This was one of the deciding factors between it and the WB or scat with the dynamics package as I wanted to put 18" wheels on it for the winter months. What's funny is I didn't have the usually buyers remorse when I first drove the car of the lot like I usually do, but now I'm seeing I may have made a mistake and thinking of trying to trade it in already.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine is a 1320 and is supposed to come with the 4 piston Brembo's (although I wouldn't be shocked if they put the wrong brakes on it at this point with all the other issues I've had with this car). This was one of the deciding factors between it and the WB or scat with the dynamics package as I wanted to put 18" wheels on it for the winter months. What's funny is I didn't have the usually buyers remorse when I first drove the car of the lot like I usually do, but now I'm seeing I may have made a mistake and thinking of trying to trade it in already.
So your going to trade it in over the winter tire set you purchased used wont fit and a loose seat cover? no way they put the wrong brakes on the car, my guess is maybe you got a set of tires from a Awd or v6 challenger/charger

i do agree you should trade it in i dont think it will ever the car for you, plus you seem to be maxed out cash wise and that is never a good thing, trade it in get a decent driver and enjoy the stress free life

·
Premium Member
2018 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
587 Posts
Been reading your posts since around 2018... congrats on your Challenger but you should of bought a Scat with Shaker (j/k). How about the house a year or two back... did you find one you liked and bought one?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
The previous owner had a scat pack. I was thinking if I do put the wheel spacers on all four that will be a lot of work since my dad is getting too old too help much anymore. I would also have to take everything off again if I do decide to trade it, but then again this time of year I would be better off keeping it until Spring at least. Yeah I did get another house about 6 months ago. Its ok, but the small swimming pool is a PIA and expensive to run and maintain and I hardly used it over the summer.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,374 Posts
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
thats why pools get filled with dirt out here in the country, people can't stand the cost or Maintenace once they realize how little they are used.
I could see maybe converting it to a hot tub since it is a very small pool, but bet that would be very pricey. Plus if I were to fill it in, it would probably lower the value of my house as I'm not sure how long I'll be there. But then again if I add up what all I put into it each season and probably 150 a month in electrity for 5 or 6 months a year, it wouldn't take too long to save up to convert it or just save the money.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I could see maybe converting it to a hot tub since it is a very small pool, but bet that would be very pricey. Plus if I were to fill it in, it would probably lower the value of my house as I'm not sure how long I'll be there. But then again if I add up what all I put into it each season and probably 150 a month in electrity for 5 or 6 months a year, it wouldn't take too long to save up to convert it or just save the money.
are you heating it with electric? i pay way less than that for my hot tub in Minnesota in January. no way just circ pumping to filter the water is running you over 25-30 a month.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have it, but here's my perception. TLDR, no, if money is a concern I would not pay the price for a shaker.

1. It's unbelievably cool looking, especially when it comes alive. I absolutely love hood scoops and things of this nature.
2. I have heard it's another step in an oil change, that it must be removed. I don't know, but I'd want the answer to that. I'm not a fan of "more hassle."
3. I've heard it drains water onto your engine. I don't know if that's true but I'd sure look into it.
4. I don't know how much if any performance gain it brings. I've got hood slits that bring air into the engine and I've never felt the car was starving for air. I'd also want to contrast that with the aerodynamic drag, if any, of having a big air catch on the hood. It may all be irrelevant semantics, but this is part of the analysis.
5. I don't know the added cost, but I think it's somewhere around $2500 new. I personally would not pay $2500 for it absent documented serious performance gains. The $2500 could be used somewhere better IMO. For instance, I'd go with a bigger motor over a cosmetic improvement, as an example.
A quick look at build packages for NEW cars, shows:
The upgrade from manual to auto 8 is $1500, in the RT with a 5.7L.
The upgrade from a normal RT 5.7L to a 6.4L is $5,000.

Here's how I'd option it out if I were counting dollars to max my enjoyment and performance.
Manual, 6.4L. No sunroof, no shaker. Trim a few options here and there, like saving money on the Alpine system... Skip the costly technology groups like driver assisted nonsense, several hundreds or even a couple thousand dollars in bloatware technology that you don't need.

I'd sooner save the $1300 with no sunroof, save $1500 on getting a manual, save $500 by taking the Alpine system, spend $5000 on a 6.4L and skip the $2500 shaker. The manual is very enjoyable, and the 6.4L is a lot more power. The shaker isn't likely to deliver the joy of the manual nor the added performance of the larger motor.
Like the shaker for the look alone. Don’t need more power as I’m not racing it. 375 HP is fine. Got to have the 500 amp stereo as well. Need good sounds. Manual 6 speed of course.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
are you heating it with electric? i pay way less than that for my hot tub in Minnesota in January. no way just circ pumping to filter the water is running you over 25-30 a month.
Its not even heated. Its just running the pump and filter about 12 hours a day. The motor does get really hot though. I don't know exactly what it was costing me, but my first bill was something like 125 or 150 before I started running the pump (water and electric) and then it jumped to around 275 a month all summer long. This past month with it off, it dropped down to 175 so I figure at least 100 or so. I did have to add water from time to time too and not sure if it has a small leak or just evaporation. The pool is only around 12x20' if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its not even heated. Its just running the pump and filter about 12 hours a day. The motor does get really hot though. I don't know exactly what it was costing me, but my first bill was something like 125 or 150 before I started running the pump (water and electric) and then it jumped to around 275 a month all summer long. This past month with it off, it dropped down to 175 so I figure at least 100 or so. I did have to add water from time to time too and not sure if it has a small leak or just evaporation. The pool is only around 12x20' if that makes any difference.
you might want to look into a more efficient pump then a timer to modify it's run time. i have a 21' above ground round pool with a small circ pump also and have never noticed a huge summer bill, it is always the heater in the hot tub that jacks the price up. but keeping water at 102 degrees when it is neg 20 in January is always going to cost money.

and yes you doo have to add water once and a while to compensate for evaporation.. i always laugh at how the hot tub sales guy sold my wife on 25.00 a month to have a hot tub, i knew better as i have friends with them.. budget 100 per month and you are in the game, after chemicals, filters, covers and misc maint. defiantly have to use it to keep paying

·
Premium Member
2018 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
587 Posts
Medsport... where is the thread with a picture of the car you bought, options, color and your buying experience etc? Been reading your posts since 2018 and when you finally bought you car all I read is minor complaints on something you should be so happy about after 3 yrs.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 · (Edited)
The actual buying experience wasn't bad and only took about 20 minutes since I did most of it ahead of time, but the drive sucked as he is about 3.5 hours away. I got lost going there and then somehow got on the turnpike without going through a booth to get a ticket on the way back. I had trouble figuring out the NAV on it and still having trouble with it as my it keeps coming up with an error when I plug in my phone and it tries to link. It may have something to do with my phone being a couple years old and almost out of space?

Anyway, I got the Sinnamon Stick 1320 and the color is really sharp. I got it nearly loaded with the HK (which is really good), NAV of course, Plus and Convenience groups, Carbon Fiber package and SRT spoiler. I think the only options I didn't add were the sunroof and Tech group. I think it may have been a mistake not getting the technology group as the headlights and fog lights do not seem that bright, but not sure if they are any different with that option or not. The first thing I noticed was the interior lights are weak too (map lights and almost no footwell lighting) and you can't really adjust the dash lights either as they are either too bright or too dim if you just barely more the adjuster button. The little red D on the shifter is way too bright too. Contrary to what most have said, the seats are not that comfortable IMO as well and I liked the Mustang seats much better for some reason. The NAV also worked better in the stang and I liked the Mycolor in the Ford also in which Dodge doesn't even offer. The heated and cooled seats work much better and quicker in the Challenger though and the heated steering wheel is nice. I uploaded a pic of the car soon after I got it in the 1320 section. I just took one yesterday with the 18" winter wheels on the rear and the stock 20's on the front. It looks funny like this IMO, but I'm looking into getting some spacers for the front to try and fit the remaining wheels on it. I actually like their look better as they are more of the classic mag wheels and it seems to drive better already. It was a stiff ride with all drag spec tires on it and very floaty on the highway. I haven't decided yet if I should just replace those tires with some all seasons or buy another set of wheels and put all seasons on it for daily driving for the other 3 seasons and save the drag spec wheels for if I ever visit the track.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Did you ever post a pic of the front rotors and calipers on your car? I just wonder what they look like...

181 - 199 of 199 Posts