Dodge Challenger Forum banner
141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
That Vega was one scary ride when it got to shaking or skating around when there was a cross wind. We had no idea what we were doing when he first got it. The scariest part of it was when it launched, it did the sky high wheelie and all you saw was sky for a while. I got used to it pretty quickly and the scary part for me was cross wind that hit you just as you passed the last section of bleachers just before the finish line at the Las Vegas Speedrome track. The parachute was a huge help, just to keep the back of the car from washing out. I never won a race in it, but I was runner up twice in Bracket 1. The one time, I broke out because I got into the whole running down the other car at the top end, and I went almost a tenth under. The other time I runnered up, I two stepped it at the start and I ended up with a horrible .720 light.

It had a 331" SBChevy in it with a powerglide at first. It ran in the high tens and even that was scary fast going from a barely 14 second street car. As time went on, the engines got bigger, the trans went to a built Turbo 400, and I hit the wall twice. One was from a broken axle, and I just missed taking out the really nice looking '69 Camaro in the lane next to me, and the second one was a water hose popped and that treated water we used instead of anti-freeze got under the right tire and BLAM, I hit the wall again. After that wreck, the front end of the car became a Pontiac Astra, there was one for sale cheap, and it was white like the car was. The final upgrades were a total redo of the rear suspension, and the best, and second biggest motor we had, a 472" BB Chevy, which got me into the 9.0's. It spun a bearing about 20 runs old, and even though my friend was and is loaded with money, he had enough of messing with it, so he sold it and my driving career was over. Sadly, I lost all the pics of those days along with most of my dog pics and pics of friends and other stuff from the mid 70's when I moved. I had hundeds of drag pics alone.

There were definitely Funny Cars in 1971. I saw them on TV and in person. There are tons of pics of them out there on the net.
I hung out at Milan Dragway and saw some really sad FC's back in '71 and '72. I didn't see any of the "Big" FC's in person until 1974, when I saw Don Prudhomme destroy an 8 car FC field running science fiction type E.T's at some sad Ohio track in the Army Cuda. Too many years ago to remember what race at what track back then. It all gets mixed up until 1975 to 1981 when almost all the FC's I saw were at the old Irwindale and of course, OCIR. After I moved back to Ohio, it was all National Trail and Indy for my in person FC fix. I miss the dry hops, the throttle whacks in the pits, and the cars that at least looked like the cars they were supposed to be. Last race I went to was at National Trail in 2007, just days before I got hurt and spent 3+ months of hell.
MR Hort I read your story. Loved it - will be back... bobbymac

·
Registered
64 Posts
Checked out the funny cars you sent... Guess I had the dates messed... Pardom raced out east LI on are only 1/4 mile track. I think Force was the first FC I was always ready to watch...Just for kicks you remember Joey Chitwood? lol bbmac

·
Registered
64 Posts
i love my new shaker, it to me is the ultimate throwback challenger View attachment 280211
I see yo have a wide body. I also believe it comes with 305 tires. Maybe you can explain why you need a wide body for 305 when 305's will fit on a 10 inch rim under a stock 2021 scat as intended... I see a 11 wide rim might be better but not worth the extra K's to me... What else does the WB have on it worth all that money??? bbmac

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Just ordered a 1320. Would let me order a shaker... Bad ass to say the least... bbmac
Yeah, see my dilemma? The 1320 is a really nice car but that WB shaker looks awesome too. I should have looked at that loaded gomango similar to that one when I had a chance. I still think I like the Sinamon better, but if one pops up in that color with the exact options I want like that one I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I see yo have a wide body. I also believe it comes with 305 tires. Maybe you can explain why you need a wide body for 305 when 305's will fit on a 10 inch rim under a stock 2021 scat as intended... I see a 11 wide rim might be better but not worth the extra K's to me... What else does the WB have on it worth all that money??? bbmac
The widebody package is more than some flares and wider tires, the srt engineers designed the widebody with handling in mind... they are the best stock handling challengers out to date. so much better they will hang with a hellcat on their road course even down the 200 hp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The widebody package is more than some flares and wider tires, the srt engineers designed the widebody with handling in mind... they are the best stock handling challengers out to date. so much better they will hang with a hellcat on their road course even down the 200 hp.
Iceman, had a feeling it wasn't just tires but have my doubts it could hang with a camaro SS with a 1LE package.. Had a 2019 I sold to buy the challenger... 305x30 Supercar R3's. All I see for the WB are 305 summer tires...Better do better then that to race on a road course. The prices to run on a road course are ridiculous. Thanks for the info... bbmac

·
Registered
135 Posts
Iceman, had a feeling it wasn't just tires but have my doubts it could hang with a camaro SS with a 1LE package.. Had a 2019 I sold to buy the challenger... 305x30 Supercar R3's. All I see for the WB are 305 summer tires...Better do better then that to race on a road course. The prices to run on a road course are ridiculous. Thanks for the info... bbmac
your comparing apples to oranges, challengers are a lot more car that a Camaro, you have to decide to you want a full size hot rod or a sports car?

since most of us are driving these on the roads and just want a high horsepower car that is fun to drive and looks kick ass to boot,if I wanted a road course car I would have bought something else. He’ll ultimately I’m not sure the challenger would out run my 90 trans am on a race track.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Iceman You come up with some good chit... You are right a sports (chev) car is better at road course then drag.. I thought I had a full size hot rod. Charger scat,,, I will agree with you a challenger is more drag then road course, all though it is kind of heavy for a drag car. OK I made a mistake with the chevy... I bought a dealer floor car for 43K 2019... I sold it a couple months ago for 41500... Not bad if you ask me... Lets say I got lucky...

As for apples to oranges they are both fruits... I like oranges in a jar the best... I am hearing the 3120 challenger turns in the 11's at the drag STOCK... Was that 90 trans stock???? Doesn't really matter to me - if I get what I want I'll do the 1/8 with the front brake on and the A/C... LOLOL Too old to giz a chit ... Let the young guyz have the win.. Hope we are still close to friends... bobbymac

·
Registered
135 Posts
bobby mac, nope the 90 ta was supercharged with a bunch of other mods, back then gm thought a high performance car had 250 hp...:( bought it new and put the supercharger on at 5k miles. Dam thing is still fun to drive now and again.

you are correct the challenger is heavy and i dont race it i drive it for pure fun as the grin it puts on my face is priceless.

you are correct on the 1320's they are fast, you will love your new car it is awesome

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Just when I was leaning towards the 1320, the scat pack guy I was going to order from says he has owned both and he prefers the WB way more. Kind of surprising since he has a background in racing. But then again, the car will be used roughly 95% or more of the time daily driving in my case.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just when I was leaning towards the 1320, the scat pack guy I was going to order from says he has owned both and he prefers the WB way more. Kind of surprising since he has a background in racing. But then again, the car will be used roughly 95% or more of the time daily driving in my case.
this is why I went with the widebody,zero regrets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Iceman, glad you like driving it... People give me chit about owning two hot rods "" you don't go anywere what you need two for??? I am retired for 10 years where do I have to go? And besides, 'because I can''. bbmac

·
Registered
135 Posts
Iceman, question - Why does your challenger WB say srt on it and my charger says R/T on the back and scat pack on the front grill??? bbmac
Mine says srt all over it,
the engine covers
The brake calipers
The radio screen

But by the book it is a r/t. Personally I like the srt logo and stuck it to the windshield,I don’t think it adds any horsepower but who knows?

I’m pretty sure that all mopar fans know that shakers do not fit factory supercharged cars so not like I’m trying to be the poser that some suggest.

I guessI could have gotten a sticker that says SCAT and see how people like that?

141 - 160 of 199 Posts