Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plum crazy shaker number 0138, the shaker air intake is rubbing off the paint from inside the hood, anyone having this problem? I'm taking it to the dealor today for them to schedule a repaire.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the problem i am having is with the vinyl stripe on the hood around where the relief for the shaker is, i.e. the vinyl is starting to peel away. I took it to the dealership and they took pictures and sent them to hq. i should here back in a week or so with what they are going to do

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put some silicone spray on the rubber seal that meets the hood.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Decal issue on hood and trunk, shaker 77

I'm having a couple of issues with the decal on the hood near the seam where the hood meets the shaker. The decal is lifting off at the seam.

On the trunk in front of the spoiler the thin stripe decals just at the edge of the spoiler appear to be lifting also?

Off to the dealer this week so they can take a look.

·
Registered
196 Posts
so the rubber trim on top of CAI airbox is rubbing paint off of underside hood or the rubber trim around the scoop is rubbuing the paint off?

pics?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rubber gasket around the shaker is rubbing the paint off the underside of the hood. I understand that with the movement of the engine it would cause some problem but my car is 2 months old and you can see the paint wearing away. I dropped it off at the dealer and they said there is nothing they can do at this point. I said no problem but I want it marked down on my paperwork, because I doubt there will be any paint left after a few years.

·
Registered
141 Posts
have black shaker #0499 with same problem. I took possession of mine last April and had noticed the paint wear at the rear of the hood scoop opening was there after only a month or so. I have been watching it that it doesnt get too bad. As someone suggested I am periodically applying silicon. Not sure it there is anything you can really do to prevent it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Same problem with mine. 12k miles and there is already a section that has rubbed down to the bare metal. It's inevitable with the seal constantly rubbing. I have a small roll of the clear bra film. I might apply it and see how it holds up. I really don't get too concerned, because I am too busy smiling from ear to ear driving this car. Heck, all the looks I get makes Houston rush hour traffic almost tolerable.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
I have Plum Crazy #0108 it only has 607 miles (we took delivery last April) not issues yet but I do see signs of gasket wear...at this early stage I am thinking of the bra cover for the inside..what do you guys think ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Shaker #1798 is doing the exact same thing. It is almost down to the bare metal on a rather large area where the seal meets the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have not had any paint issues in that area. I used a silicone spray and no paint rubbing off. Shaker #0252

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a Canadian Owner of Shaker number 2064. Not sure how many they built but this proves it is more than the 1000 claimed. I digress, purchased last year in July and put to bed in September as I transitioned by from the cottage, I am bound to try to continue my warranty claim on this exact problem in the next 2 months in hopes I can resolve this before the 1 year bumper to bumper on the car runs out. If looking at the car from the front, the top left or northwest corner of where the rubber or plastic collar meets the metal has developed a nasty crease as the stripe lifts from a combination of rubbing, vibration and/or heat. The cost of these stripes according to the dealer is $2,000. They are moronic if they are replacing a whole kit instead of just ordering/replacing the part necessary as necessary. The numbers here in this forum if taken, statistically, as a sample would indicate the problem is widespread.

If the success of the 1st repair is any indication, the same problem was back 5 days after in exactly the same spot. I had the dealer take pictures again before having to put the car to bed for the fall/winter to document the record. I called the dealer in Quebec and he says he wants to take pictures again. I am documenting my whole procedure here for the record. I said on the phone that with the picture taken last September, can you not proceed with that? He did not give a definitive answer other than they had to order the stripes kit again (!). I am not forking out $52k Canadian for a shitty looking car. The dealer has to contact the area rep and see if they have a fix.

So once I arrive back at the cottage, the carousel continues. A search of this problem online only revealed this forum as the sole place documenting this problem. An inquiry to a BC dealership in Kelowna, which has not seen any Shakers yet, yielded nothing other than the Chrysler Canada toll-free complaints line which I will be contacting tomorrow. Their body shop was at a loss as was service and nothing better was given as far as ideas go. Certainly, far less than what I have learnt here.

If after no satisfaction after two repair attempts, I will request the company do a complete stripe delete at their expense as I will not accept a substandard appearing vehicle for that kind of money. I would have her plain Jane Hemi Orange, than striping that is not even passable at best.
Img_1665.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
That is a bummer... Please keep us in the loop... i wonder if my 7year - 100,00 bumper to bumper will cover this

·
Registered
6 Posts
The company has no fix. In fact, I have waited a year. I have approached the dealer for his recommendation for what is "reasonable" time to wait for a solution. It is at this point that I am pushing the dealership to organize the file so I can take the problem direct to Chrysler. My car looks terrible as more and more paint is exposed underneath and the strip above is delaminating now in 3 places - all on the same side. I have used some petroleum jelly for a while, which I have since cleaned off the rubber and am now using silicon spray. Also, of note, is that Chrysler provides no maintenance recommendations in the owners' manual with respect to the Shaker Hood, being a special edition and all. I would be very interested in how others have made out with this problem. It is too bad most of you guys are in the US. We can't do a class-action lawsuit against the company being 2 separate divisions in Canada and the US. Th company will have to:

1) Shift the whole 2 millimetres.
2) Re-position the Shaker assembly by same by shifting the screw holes.
3) Cut a thinner gauge of rubber for the side rubbing.

The bottom line is the Shaker has been around for 50 years an with no solution forthcoming since then, a company provided fix which the dealer can implement is not likely in the next short while.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have Plum Crazy #0108 it only has 607 miles (we took delivery last April) not issues yet but I do see signs of gasket wear...at this early stage I am thinking of the bra cover for the inside..what do you guys think ?
Not to change the subject but how are all of you guys finding out what # shaker you have ? I got mine last June and would love to find out what number mine is .....I ordered it last March 12th got it June 18th....long wait!!! LOl Thanks

1 - 20 of 77 Posts