Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Dodge Challenger RT automatic and I changed the brakes and rotors and when I went to drive it the steering starts shaking violently. It’s not just when I press the brakes and it takes a few minutes of driving to start this but it’s almost impossible to keep it in the roadway. I was on my way home from work the other day and a deer ran out and hit the right bottom quarter panel and popped out the running light but everything else is fine. Could this be the alignment causing the shaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
55 Posts
Did the shaking happen after the deer incident or after the brake replacement?

DeWFPo

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the deer incident it was shaking when I pressed the brakes but I thought it was because I was overdue for a brake change. When I changed them and drove it it shook badly so I changed the rotors as well and it’s still the same.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would not drive the car as is. Period. If I were you I would pull the wheels and re-check everything you did. Check the lug nut torque and sequencing. Make sure the rotors are seated all the way, make sure the slide pins (if so equipped) are greased with the proper grease and check for any deer related mechanical damage.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
993 Posts
You need to get it up on a car lift and check every thing good and if you don't know what you are doing get some one who does !
Did you take it for a test drive ?Check for a bad rim etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i did take it for a test drive and checked the rims and they are still good. I’ve always changed my own brakes and rotors and I’ve never had this type of problem. Thanks for everyone’s help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have heard some say that it's a good idea to check new rotors for trueness since some less expensive brands don't have the quality control in place at the machining level and it doesn't take much out-of-true to make a wheel feel like it is going to self-destruct when the brakes are applied.

DeWFPo

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok will do thanks! After I do that, if it doesn’t help, I’m going to take it to my local dodge dealership and see what they say and have it fixed. I’ll update this feed in case anyone else experiences this same thing so I can give them the answer. This discussion board is really helpful I wish I’d come across it sooner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts