Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my new R/T back in the summer I have wanted to get a little more out of her. I did some serious research and talked to a bunch of people to find the right place and the right upgrades to get a few extra ponies. I had originally planned on trying to do a cam swap but after talking to Bill at B&T motorsports and some people at Arrington I decided that this wasn't the best way to go for now as tuning new cams on the 2013s has apparently been pretty difficult. So here is what I ended up going with:

85mm throttle body- $489
BBK ceramic coated LT headers- $599
BBK 3' mid pipes - $299
Airaid air intake- $287
Diablo intune sport- $489

Total was around $2200 with the little extra things I needed (not including labor)

I got the car back on Friday and it is a completely different beast. The throttle response and pickup are noticeably quicker and the thing roars when you put your foot in it. There is pretty heavy drone around 2k RPMs but I have a manual so I can shift around it. I also did about 400 miles of driving this weekend and my gas mileage is up from around 22 to 26. I will try and get some video this weekend but if you are looking for that old school muscle car sound, better throttle response, quicker pickup and better millage these mods are a good (relatively cheap) way to go.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
You stole my game plan!! I have all but headers and TB but will get those next month. If you really want more go than sho I would suggest going to 18 inch rims and reduce tire diameter by 2 inches, which results in effective lower rear axle ratio (from 3.92 to 4.22) which gives you basically 7% increase in torque to rear wheels. Diablo can easy adjust speedometer and I have had no issues w/ lowering 1 inch. You will feel the difference...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really appreciate the advice man! I have my stock 18's in my garage that I will have to throw on when I finally get around to hitting the track. Just love the look of my tires to much though right now. Yeah next thing i'm doing is struts, sways and dropping it an inch. Good to know that it doesn't ruin the ride. Ever have problems with speed bumps or parking garages? I live in the city so there is plenty of both.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I go very gingerly over speed bumps and steep intersections and never ever pull up to a curb! I am out Tyson's way so I get my share of ups and downs as well. I am running 18 inch TSW Black Jarama's w/ 275/40/18 on rear and 245/45/18 on front (exact same diameters) although right now I have on Blizzaks for the snow. Good luck w/ your well thought out plan!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good job, should be a lot of fun to drive!

I am having my 392 cam, JBA's and a custom tune done next month.

What cam were you looking at and why did you not go that route at this point?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Going "bolt on" for now. Will get Sean's custom tune (Hemifever) after my TB and headers added. I am hoping I can control this mod thing:). I am also getting new EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff brake pads...Let me know how the cam turns out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My bad. Must read replies closer.
No worries - everyone's opinion counts.

I am on the fence about the throttle body and haven't done much research on it yet. I know it's a pretty easy bolt-on, so we'll see.

So I'll let you know about the cam and you let me know about the TB.

Fair? :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Going "bolt on" for now. Will get Sean's custom tune (Hemifever) after my TB and headers added. I am hoping I can control this mod thing:). I am also getting new EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff brake pads...Let me know how the cam turns out.
You can get the tune now. Sean makes adjustments for both those mods in the original tune. Adding them will not require an additional adjustment. I had plenty of back n forths with him on the subject.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No worries - everyone's opinion counts.

I am on the fence about the throttle body and haven't done much research on it yet. I know it's a pretty easy bolt-on, so we'll see.

So I'll let you know about the cam and you let me know about the TB.

Fair? :D
Just make sure you get the right TB. Dodge has 3 or 4 TB part numbers for the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4. For 2013 the part number changed so a 2012 TB wont work on a 2013 Chally.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just make sure you get the right TB. Dodge has 3 or 4 TB part numbers for the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4. For 2013 the part number changed so a 2012 TB wont work on a 2013 Chally.

Good tip, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good job, should be a lot of fun to drive!

I am having my 392 cam, JBA's and a custom tune done next month.

What cam were you looking at and why did you not go that route at this point?
Thanks! It is an absolute blast.

In regards to why didn't go with the cam: I had looked at a few options including the 392 and the shop spent about a week looking for options and they said that they weren't confident that they would be able to tune any, attempting too would be extremely time consuming and no one they had talked to had done it smoothly on a 2013. So they suggested the throttle body as a viable alternative. The throttle body seemed like a safer option for me right now (the challenger is my only transport and I don't want to go without it for a long period of time or have to keep going back for retunes). The CAM is something that I will most likely do in the future still but I am going to wait until a few more people have put them into 2013s and they have worked out the tuning formula. I am by no means an expert and was just going off of the advice of a mechanic I trusted (he would have made over 10x the labor on a CAM over a throttle body so that also helped).

·
Registered
413 Posts
I dont agree that a TB is a viable option in comparing it to a cam. A TB may add 5 hp where as a cam with tune would add 60-70 plus more TQ. Im not knocking the TB. But cant compare the 2. Maybe look for another shop that has more experience with the Chally. I found 2 in my area and neither expressed a concern about my being a '13. Best of luck man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry didn't mean to compare it in HP or TQ gains to the cam. I meant that it was the next thing after cam I was going to be doing for HP gains (no matter how small). Thanks for pointing it out though! don't want people getting confused.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.