Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to remove my stock shifter knob I have a 2010 Challenger R/T I purchased a pistol grip over the winter and it is almost time to bring my baby out of storage and am excited about installing? Also am looking to get a boot for the shifter rather than the stock panel will look more like a standard then any suggestions? I did ask about this last year but cannot find any responses I may have received in advance thanks and hurry up nice weather.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response it is exactly what I need I will post picks of the new one once installed.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I did what you are talking about to my auto and I am more than happy with the result. I think the original look of the auto setup that comes in our cars is very cheap looking. Just recently I was car shopping with our 15 y/o Son and all the cars he was interested in (all autos and all imports) all had the rubber boot type set up just like this conversion I did on our Challenger. So this is not so unusual after all...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great exactly what I was thinking if I can ask where did you get the boot and what kind of boot is it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh also did you remove the stock panel or just put the boot over top of it if you could tell me how you did it I would appreciate it?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Oh also did you remove the stock panel or just put the boot over top of it if you could tell me how you did it I would appreciate it?

Thanks again
I removed all the stock parts under the trim ring. VERY easy to do. The entire install including the pistol grip and leather boot took me a total of less than ten minutes.

The leather boot I bought off ebay, it was $20 exactly, free shipping and the only thing was it had BLUE stitching. I used a black dye pen (basically a black sharpie) and ran over the stitching (took me seconds to do). The seller only sells the black leather boots with blue, yellow or red stitching for some crazy reason NO black! LOL

The leather boot has small slits in the leather that match up with the tabs in the chrome bezel/trim ring. You simply push the tabs through the leather boot and snap the trim ring back into place and bingo! Now, the only thing is, the leather is a bit short in the four corners and leaves a small void in each corner and you can almost see down into each corner if you look hard enough. If you are ultra fussy it might bother you, at the same time if you didn't point it out, no one would notice. Not too mention for $20 it's hard to beat. I've been watching for a better fitting boot and I have yet to see another one show up on ebay. And apparently, you can not buy just the boot for the manual car from Mopar, I tried that as well.

Good luck, post pics...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to remove my stock shifter knob I have a 2010 Challenger R/T I purchased a pistol grip over the winter and it is almost time to bring my baby out of storage and am excited about installing? Also am looking to get a boot for the shifter rather than the stock panel will look more like a standard then any suggestions? I did ask about this last year but cannot find any responses I may have received in advance thanks and hurry up nice weather.
Remove the bezel strip around the shifter with these tools,
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/W80648/N0998.oap?ck=Search_N0998_-1_-1&pt=N0998&ppt=C0372

Then pull up the boot of the shifter and remove the bolts.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0998_-1_-1&pt=N0998&ppt=C0372

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Hey, the auto 2015 Challenger comes with a leather boot around the shifter. Now that they come from the factory this way I wonder what the 6-speed guys will have to say? A lot of them often think it's so odd that we would do this mod and try to make people think we have manual cars etc. Well, what is Dodge trying to do, fool the general public when the peek inside these cars. What's next a fake clutch pedal? LOL Well, maybe, just maybe they realized that just like MANY other mfg just how much nicer and cleaner it makes the auto shifter look! And as I have mentioned several times before, when you already have a digital dash indicating the gear selection, well, just seems to kinda make sense....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts