Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is a normal noise from gear engagement but there is a slight issue I've been noticing during gear shifts. I can heard an audible clicking noise (not so much a grinding or anything of that nature).

It's never very loud, but it usually seems as if it's coming from underneath the car and the sound is reverberating off of another surface. The car currently has about 90k miles on it. This never happens at low RPMs, but only during more loaded shifts at higher RPMs :4-dontknow:. There seems to be a slight hesitation in shifting when this happens, you can feel a delay, loss of power/momentum between grabbing the next gear.

I haven't tried to replicate this above 4500 RPMs or attempting to chirp gears. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before taking it in to the dealership to deal with some other issues (brake squeal & wheel bearing). I'm hoping it's not a serious transmission issue.

Thanks in advance

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,539 Posts
Check your drive shaft bolts. It has been reported that after time, they sometimes back out. Not a common occurance.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Not sure if this is a normal noise from gear engagement but there is a slight issue I've been noticing during gear shifts. I can heard an audible clicking noise (not so much a grinding or anything of that nature).

It's never very loud, but it usually seems as if it's coming from underneath the car and the sound is reverberating off of another surface. The car currently has about 90k miles on it. This never happens at low RPMs, but only during more loaded shifts at higher RPMs :4-dontknow:. There seems to be a slight hesitation in shifting when this happens, you can feel a delay, loss of power/momentum between grabbing the next gear.

I haven't tried to replicate this above 4500 RPMs or attempting to chirp gears. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before taking it in to the dealership to deal with some other issues (brake squeal & wheel bearing). I'm hoping it's not a serious transmission issue.

Thanks in advance
Have you changed the trans fluid and filter?Sounds like slow engagement of a solenoid which could be caused by old worn fluid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tried changing the fluids/filter on the trans. With my lack of having a shop, I doubt this is something I could do on my own but it may be worthwhile looking into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts