Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place for this question. It's for anyone who knows about shifting and RPMs.

I was ecstatic to finally be able to buy my first Challenger in December last year, following a home sale. I didn't have much, so I couldn't afford a decent classic, but I looked around patiently and finally found a 2010 SRT hemi 6spd and just what I'd been looking for. Manuals are always a bit funky in the beginning even having driven many of them over the years. Every car is different. Hell, I find a difference when I wear different shoes. However, I've never driven a hemi, so I'd like to know how everyone gauges the right time to shift gears. I'm having a lot of trouble getting up to speed in a decent amount of time and I'm not great at taking off from first gear. Sometimes I do that jerky thing - so embarrassing lol.

Thanks for the input!

-Alice

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hope this is the right place for this question. It's for anyone who knows about shifting and RPMs.

I was ecstatic to finally be able to buy my first Challenger in December last year, following a home sale. I didn't have much, so I couldn't afford a decent classic, but I looked around patiently and finally found a 2010 SRT hemi 6spd and just what I'd been looking for. Manuals are always a bit funky in the beginning even having driven many of them over the years. Every car is different. Hell, I find a difference when I wear different shoes. However, I've never driven a hemi, so I'd like to know how everyone gauges the right time to shift gears. I'm having a lot of trouble getting up to speed in a decent amount of time and I'm not great at taking off from first gear. Sometimes I do that jerky thing - so embarrassing lol.

Thanks for the input!

-Alice
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new Challenger. In first gear you want to give it more gas than you probably are before letting the clutch out. Shifting to other gears for me is done by sound and feel and depending on if I'm cruising or really trying to get from point A to point B quickly. You will get the hang of it pretty quickly with some more practice. I'm always amazed at how much of a transition I have to go through when I switch driving my 6 speeds. Now go drive that beautiful car in that beautiful weather lol.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Welcome you will get use to it as time goes on. You will be racing before you no it ha ha. Just takes time the more you drive it the better you will get. Just enjoy that beautiful challenger

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts
Welcome to the Z from WV... Glad you joined us.... I actually had a friend of mine teach my wife how to drive a standard as she felt I would be to critical at the start. The reason I say this is if you have a very good friend who has a good deal of experience as them to come along for a ride and give you some tips. I actually had someone early on in life help teach me how to power shift.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Welcome and I agree with the other replies. Turn off the radio and just listen.I havent had a 6 speed in 7 years and didnt know if I would have problems with the Challenger and if it would be different than my 02 Trans Am.As soon as I took off it felt perfect and I had the biggest grin on my face banging the gears.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I self taught myself how to drive a stick with my 2010 R/T 6 speed. I had ridden motorcycles and dirtbikes for years prior so I got the concept of the clutch, but still had to apply that to a car for the first time.

The Hemis make a lot of torque. You really don't need to give it any gas when you take off if you do it right. You can let the clutch out and then give it gas just at the right point when the clutch starts to engage that way you're not putting a lot of heat into the clutch taking off all the time.

For shifting I used to wind it out somewhere between 2000-3000RPM usually when driving normally. Eventually you just go by sound. Once you drive it enough you'll shift where it seems "right" to you. When you're getting on it I would take it to 5500RPM or so and once I got the tune on the car and bumped the rev limiter up I would take it to 6000RPM when I was really nailing it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I self taught myself how to drive a stick with my 2010 R/T 6 speed. I had ridden motorcycles and dirtbikes for years prior so I got the concept of the clutch, but still had to apply that to a car for the first time.

The Hemis make a lot of torque. You really don't need to give it any gas when you take off if you do it right. You can let the clutch out and then give it gas just at the right point when the clutch starts to engage that way you're not putting a lot of heat into the clutch taking off all the time.

For shifting I used to wind it out somewhere between 2000-3000RPM usually when driving normally. Eventually you just go by sound. Once you drive it enough you'll shift where it seems "right" to you. When you're getting on it I would take it to 5500RPM or so and once I got the tune on the car and bumped the rev limiter up I would take it to 6000RPM when I was really nailing it.
I have been shifting around 3250 just to get used to it and see how much miles I can squeeze of of a gallon.I am getting about 15 in the city.Once I get more used to her maybe bump it up to 5000 rpms.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I have been shifting around 3250 just to get used to it and see how much miles I can squeeze of of a gallon.I am getting about 15 in the city.Once I get more used to her maybe bump it up to 5000 rpms.
Hey that must be pretty normal that's what I am getting around town. But I really like to enjoy this challenger when I drive it not that I run the crap out of it but I like to hear it if you know what I mean ha ha

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Not much I I can say that others haven't. Every situation is going to be different. I know when I'm by myself or with a like minded passenger, I shift at a higher RPM and drive it more aggressively. However, my Mom is not a fan of this style, so I shift at a lot lower RPM when she is riding, :rolleyes:.

Other than the basics, I was a mess when I bought the car. I stalled out at the red light in front of the dealership. Makes me laugh to think about it now. By the time I hit 5K I had the hang of it and every mile since I have been able to refine. I love driving my stick, :D!

·
Now that was dumb!
6,003 Posts
For everyday driving 2300 RPMS is great. I owned an R/T and I found that the perfect shift point for daily driving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an RT and I tell people it has a truck engine (because it has gobs of torque and they put the same motor in the Ram :D). Very forgiving and it's happy to cruise between 1500-2000 on the highway. Less money on gas means more money for mods, right?

Two things you may want to read about are the skip shift eliminator and removing the clutch delay valve (CDV). I had the shift skip kick in just once or twice after buying the car, and that was more than enough for me. A $20 part later, and you are in charge again! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the CDV is on all models with the manual transmission. Essentially there are two little pieces in the hydraulic clutch line that can slow down the clutch engagement. The consensus is that Dodge (and other manufacturers) add this to decrease driveline shock at the cost of slightly faster clutch wear. It also makes rapid shifting less predictable.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey that must be pretty normal that's what I am getting around town. But I really like to enjoy this challenger when I drive it not that I run the crap out of it but I like to hear it if you know what I mean ha ha
The window sticker says 23 on the highway 14 in the city with a average of 17 with both.Ya I hear ya used you listen to my radio a lot on my Magnum now the only music I want to hear is the 392 going through the gears.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lots of great advice ^^^, another factor to consider in normal city driving is skipping gears, I find that 1-3-4 works very well and also contributes to better mpg..not that I'm extra worried about it but still.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts