Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Short Tube

Votes: 5 71.4%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone. Just curious to see some different opinions on shorty vs long tube headers. I have a 2010 RT Hemi 6 speed. Currently stock with a K&N Intake & Magnaflow Glasspacks. Looking to add some performance, but not quite sure which to choose from. Let me know below. Thanks guys!

·
12,986 Posts
Most of us here go with the Shortys because they are much easier to deal with the emission code but keep in mind a stand alone Header install will do very little to help performance.

Reactions: WavyEllis203

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of us here go with the Shortys because they are much easier to deal with the emission code but keep in mind a stand alone Header install will do very little to help performance.
- Very little as in you would need a tune as well to gain actual performance?

·
12,986 Posts
- Very little as in you would need a tune as well to gain actual performance?
Even with a custom tune which alone will net you about 20 HP the headers on top of that will get you only a minimal gain maybe 10 HP or less, headers seem to work well when used with in conjunction other major mods such as supercharging or Head and cam work.

Reactions: WavyEllis203

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm saving up for a monster mod project next winter and plan on keeping the stock exhaust manifolds on my SRT since they're really shorties anyway and provide better low end torque IMO. Only exhaust mod will be hi-flow cats.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Planning on a Whipple, forged internals, cam, meth injection and stroker. Haven't thought about needed trans. and rear end changes yet. It's become a madness but I'll live with it :) Only doing this instead of a Cat upgrade because I love my SRT and by next year it will most likely be worth only around $30K. Will cost another $40K plus to get a Cat by then so figure I'll throw $25K at her instead with lower insurance.

·
12,986 Posts
Planning on a Whipple, forged internals, cam, meth injection and stroker. Haven't thought about needed trans. and rear end changes yet. It's become a madness but I'll live with it :) Only doing this instead of a Cat upgrade because I love my SRT and by next year it will most likely be worth only around $30K. Will cost another $40K plus to get a Cat by then so figure I'll throw $25K at her instead with lower insurance.
If you go that route beefing up the whole Drivetrain is just about essential such as a Heavy duty Viking trans, Paramount rear , and a heavy duty Axle, it will surely be big bucks, modding is definitely not cheap.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yep. As long as I take the time to research and find good people to work on her, while getting something as dependable as possible, it'll be worth it to me. My worst nightmare would be cutting corners and having it break all time.

·
12,986 Posts
Yep. As long as I take the time to research and find good people to work on her, while getting something as dependable as possible, it'll be worth it to me. My worst nightmare would be cutting corners and having it break all time.
That's for sure, you definitely don't want that to turn into a nightmare, HHP or Arrington would be my first choices for a job like that although i can see that's quite far you, I'm sure you could find some good shops in the mid west, I know Williams rt (Phil) knows a good one near Chicago, you might want to touch bases with him.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I may consider shipping it to Arrington and driving back. Worried about followup stuff though. Thanks for the input Dodge boy. Don't want to hijack your thread Wavy :)

·
Read Only
760 Posts
To the OP, I went with ceramic BBK shorties, and the Diablo tune from an InTune and baselined at 360 hp before the ProCharger install. I like the shorties better because i can run the factory exhaust, they were cheaper, and less prone to emission and CEL problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sheeesh! major mods lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To the OP, I went with ceramic BBK shorties, and the Diablo tune from an InTune and baselined at 360 hp before the ProCharger install. I like the shorties better because i can run the factory exhaust, they were cheaper, and less prone to emission and CEL problems.
How much did the BBKs cost you?

·
Read Only
760 Posts
would happen to know the part number for those BBKs? I was looking for some and all they had was 05-12 headers.
PN40120 worked for my car and my car is a 2013. I called BBK and asked them before I bought the shorties and they said that they would work and they did.

·
Registered
116 Posts
PN40120 worked for my car and my car is a 2013. I called BBK and asked them before I bought the shorties and they said that they would work and they did.
Now that's interesting I emailed them and they sad it wouldn't work for 13+ cars now im really confused haha

·
Read Only
760 Posts
Now that's interesting I emailed them and they sad it wouldn't work for 13+ cars now im really confused haha
You should ask them why they won't work on 13+ cars. I bet that they tell you its because of a port mismatch. But they work great on my car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I replaced my JBA titanium shorties with SLP long tunes. I will be putting them up for sale as soon as I take photos. The headers have less than 4K miles in perfect condition. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts