sick of the bad 1-2 shift

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussion' started by trakpak, Nov 9, 2017.

1. trakpak

trakpak Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    i love my 2012 challenger r/t but the crappy 1st to 2nd shift is really starting to annoy me. ive done the cvd which from what i remember helped at the time. ive run royal purple syncromax and it it was any better i couldnt tell. i ran that for maybe 6k miles or so. 2 weeks ago i switched to redline d4 as ive heard it helped some people. i dont think it helped at all its just a different kinda crappy now. i wanna drive a newer one to see if its any better. if they all suck like this as much as i hate to i may go automatic. i cant see the thing living a long life the way it shifts now. has anyone figured it out? i hate to go with an automatic.

2. GARRETTECH

GARRETTECH Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    CHALLENGER
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    My guess....and this is just a guess....your pulling the shifter to much towards yourself and not just straight back. Especially if this is something that doesnt matter if its warm or cold and also if it seems more intermittent that would be my guess. It really wants a straight pull to the rear. And yes, there is a reason this is my guess lol. But, if its really all the time or 90% of the time there might be a real problem. As far as fluids, i have tried both the fluids you named and only found a psychological/very short term effect and/or improvement. I just go to the dealer and get the mopar atf+4 and use that. I do race a good amount and heat cycle the hell outta the car so I do change it very often....like every oil change. Its cheap and no filter involved especially when compared to RP and redline....those are pretty expensive and no appreciable difference in life expectancy from my experience

wvhemis and Lyle like this.
  3. trakpak

trakpak Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    well ill try it but it does do it damn near everytime. it does seem to get a bit better as it warms up but still not acceptable.

4. GARRETTECH

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    CHALLENGER
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Yea just really focus on a straight pull back. Another thing to check, which I saw on a corvette forum, was the clutch fluid....which is also the brake fluid (same master cylinder). My fluid was almost as darl as motor oil....used motor oil. I went thru a process of using a turkey baster and sucking out as much fluid as I could, filling with new brake fluid, driving around for a few days and then repeating. Each time I repeated the fluid was cycling and it was lighter each time. I bet I did this about 10 times till the fluid looked like the fluid coming out of a new bottle. Its cheap and easy to do (all done from the top, takes 5 minutes). When you suck the fluid out you will probably use just over half of the small brake fluid bottles....so 2 bottles will do 3 cycles of this process. 5 bucks for a bottle, this is very cheap insurance. The theory is ghat as it gets dirtier and starts absorbing moisture you can get some brake fade....well that same fade can affect the operation of ghe slave cylinder and you might not get full clutch disengagement. I was having many problems with my 2-3 shift. Im sure i have hurt my synchros for that gear and now sometimes if I power shift i will get blocked out now. Its much more random than it used to be just keeping up on these 2 fluids and if I dont powershift i get smooth gear changes at all speeds including wot.....and also the teansmission works much better regardless if its cold or warm. Its goid that you did the cdv delete but the next step is the fluid thats controling the throwout

5. trakpak

trakpak Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    last night i changed out the master cylinder fluid. it was fairly dirty. im gonna go do it again in a few mins i think. this morning i ran the car throught the gears a couple times while just sitting in the driveway before i left the house. i also paid more attention to how i was pulling back. ive only driven the car twice but this combo has seemed to make a bit of a difference.

i just read a post on a dif forum about a guy adding 4oz of linited slip additive to the tranny and he said it was awesome. thats a new one on me.

6. FastMikeR1

FastMikeR1 Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Do you still have the original stick shift ? If so , try the Barton or the Hurst shifter. I have the Hurst one but when i tried the Barton for the first time this summer, i was surprised how smooth and fast it is. That was one of my first mode in my 2010 SRT and in this car .

7. GARRETTECH

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    CHALLENGER
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hey trak, let the fluid cycle for a couple days or at least a lot of stop n go driving (lots of clutching n lots of braking). If ya do it too soon youll be just taking out pretty clean fluid that hasnt had a chance to cycle. I was changing it before every race. Most weks once a week but some weeks i raced twice so i would change it 2 times that week.

8. trakpak

trakpak Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    i did it a couple hours ago.it was pretty clean but i figured why not brake fluid is cheap. i got a mighty vac too so its super easy (i love that thing) ill let it skunk up a bit before i do it again. i had to go pickup my daughter after i did the 2nd changeout and it still feels better doing the combo of those three things. im wondering if changing through the gears before you actually go anywhere is doing something positive here.

9. trakpak

trakpak Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    i traded the r/t for an srt last week and i gotta say the srt shifts like butter. im thinking i had sonething wrong with my tranny in the r/t. r/t was a good car but im loving this more everytime i drive it!

10. Elijah Fox

Elijah Fox Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger Core
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Agreed its the driver not the transmission or the shifter I had the same issue would happen a lot.Now that I am getting used to my SRT8 I am getting better at it.I also suggest just sitting in the car and play around shifting it.

11. Markk

Markk New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Silly question, but are you sure it isn't the skip-shift function causing the problem? Or did they not have that on the 2012s?

Elijah Fox likes this.
  12. Markk

Markk New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hello?

13. Caesar14

Caesar14 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Move your seat closer to steering wheel. This will give you more aggressive clutch response on shifts. Lift the console lid. This will allow you to extend your elbow out and shift without keeping it close to your side or bumping into it. Console cover position causes me to pull my elbow toward my body causing me to shift at an angle. Just my two cents.