Dodge Challenger Forum banner

skip shift eliminator install

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  vin57 
#1 ·
First this is for the manual trans SRT8 2010 models. I bought the skip shift eliminator pigtail and went to install it with no instructions therefore here is a description of what needs to be done:

This is based on laying under the car with your feet towards the nose and your head towards the rear end, all activity is performed on the drivers side of the transmission.

To find the proper plug which is located on the top side of the transmission (drivers side), locate the trans fluid fill plug, this is a socket type pipe plug located in front of the trans crossmember and has the word "FILL" stamped on the trans housing, about 3-4 inches towards the rear of the car is a machined boss with a hole staring straight down at your face. This hole has a plastic wiring harness retainer inserted from the top. The plug you want to remove is located directly above this hole and is installed vertically with the retaining clip facing the front of the car. I pushed the wiring harness retainer out of the hole and then reached up and disconnected the plug from the skip/shift solenoid. You should be able to lift the retaining clip with your fingers as you gently pull the plug from the socket. This is a white clip

The eliminator is an in line coupling so you simply plug the female end (colored black) into the plug you just removed (white) and then put the remaining end back where you got the first plug, this plug will look just like the one you removed and plugged into the black end of the eliminator pigtail. Once you have done that, push the wiring harness retaining clip back into the hole and you are done!

One thing I did do, is immediately forward of this retaining hole is another one where the clip was inserted from the bottom which put a loop in the wiring pigtail from the O2 sensor too close to the exhaust pipe for my peace of mind so I reached up and relocated this harness to insert it from the top side. These clips simply are held in by friction and can be pushed in and out as required.

I may start another thread but I am wondering if any one can tell me if the transmission is electronic? The first time I did this I got really screwed up and removed and interconnected the wrong plugs and when I went to drive the car I had no reverse gear. Has anyone noticed that 5th and reverse seem to be in the same place and there is no differentiation in the throw to achieve either gear? Reverse is only available when you are stopped.

I hope this helps anyone trying to make this modification!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the guide. I would have had a devil of a time figuring out where the plug was based on the instructions and tiny little picture of the tranny provided. With your help, it took longer to jack the car up and down than it did to put the eliminator in.

#3 ·
First this is for the manual trans SRT8 2010 models. I bought the skip shift eliminator pigtail and went to install it with no instructions therefore here is a description of what needs to be done:

This is based on laying under the car with your feet towards the nose and your head towards the rear end, all activity is performed on the drivers side of the transmission.

To find the proper plug which is located on the top side of the transmission (drivers side), locate the trans fluid fill plug, this is a socket type pipe plug located in front of the trans crossmember and has the word "FILL" stamped on the trans housing, about 3-4 inches towards the rear of the car is a machined boss with a hole staring straight down at your face. This hole has a plastic wiring harness retainer inserted from the top. The plug you want to remove is located directly above this hole and is installed vertically with the retaining clip facing the front of the car. I pushed the wiring harness retainer out of the hole and then reached up and disconnected the plug from the skip/shift solenoid. You should be able to lift the retaining clip with your fingers as you gently pull the plug from the socket. This is a white clip

The eliminator is an in line coupling so you simply plug the female end (colored black) into the plug you just removed (white) and then put the remaining end back where you got the first plug, this plug will look just like the one you removed and plugged into the black end of the eliminator pigtail. Once you have done that, push the wiring harness retaining clip back into the hole and you are done!

One thing I did do, is immediately forward of this retaining hole is another one where the clip was inserted from the bottom which put a loop in the wiring pigtail from the O2 sensor too close to the exhaust pipe for my peace of mind so I reached up and relocated this harness to insert it from the top side. These clips simply are held in by friction and can be pushed in and out as required.

I may start another thread but I am wondering if any one can tell me if the transmission is electronic? The first time I did this I got really screwed up and removed and interconnected the wrong plugs and when I went to drive the car I had no reverse gear. Has anyone noticed that 5th and reverse seem to be in the same place and there is no differentiation in the throw to achieve either gear? Reverse is only available when you are stopped.

I hope this helps anyone trying to make this modification!
This guide was very helpful. When I first got under my car, I saw the reverse solenoid (like many others) so I was pretty sure that wasn't the right one. The picture that came with my SSE was not helpful, so I came inside and read your post carefully, and installed the SSE in about 5 minutes. It took a little work getting the retaining clip off of the plug. The only difference from above is that the plug on my SSE is white and blue, same as the stock plug.

While our transmissions are not electric, there are a couple of electric-powered solenoids. One is the one we are bypassing, that blocks off the 2nd gear gate, and forces the 1->4 shift. The one you mistakenly plugged into blocks off the reverse gate until the car is stopped (or nearly stopped). That's why you couldn't get into reverse easily when this solenoid was disconnected.

Thanks again, you saved me from guessing which solenoid to unplug. My SSE works great!

#4 ·
RT Installation

I noticed that your installation instructions are for a SRT. Do you know if it's the same procedure and placement for a 2010 RT.

Thanks,

#5 ·
Thanks Rcktman. Your instructions were a lot easier to understand than those in the package. Once I had the car up on a rack it only took 10 minutes. And half that time was spent checking out everything on the underside. Thank again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.