Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing lately when I take off in first gear and try to give it a little extra gas it boggs a little or what we used to say falls on its face, then finally takes off. Just doesn't feel right. Anyone have an answer for this little issue? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Dave

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,473 Posts
How many miles on your plugs?

·
801 RWHP
8,515 Posts
Ive also had this happen from time to time. Although it doesn't always seem "slight". I find I have to let up on the go pedal and then repress it and off she goes. This was before and after supercharger install. But part of me started wondering if it was my driving. Since supercharger I am getting used to driving her again. Taking off from a light, especially on a slight incline I still have a hard time taking off by just letting up on the clutch and giving the right gas without coming close to stalling. So I almost always give it a couple taps to "prime the pump" so to speak and then I can take off smoothly. Im wondering if im causing a sort of "flooded" situation. But there is really just no happy medium. Either close to stalling or I just have to give her what seems like, more than necessary fuel to get going. All my old stick shifts I used to have I never had this issue. I could take off smoothly with release of clutch and depress of gas at the same time. But none of them were V8's, let alone a legendary HEMI. But still somewhat frustrating nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If these things have an electronic gas pedal (don't know if they do), then maybe that's the issue. Or I was thinking maybe the last gas I filled up with, because it wasn't happening before.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Traction control kicking in? I feel like I have this problem as well

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,473 Posts
9,400 miles should not be spark plugs. I would recalibrate the throttle response/accelerator pedal. Do this by turning your key to the on position(do not start), slowly and steadily depress and release the accelerator pedal and turn key off.

And then I would pull the #2 fuse.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
9,400 miles should not be spark plugs. I would recalibrate the throttle response/accelerator pedal. Do this by turning your key to the on position(do not start), slowly and steadily depress and release the accelerator pedal and turn key off.

^^^^^ I would try that first and if that doesnt work it may need a reflash or if you have an aftermarket tuner. I would look into getting it tuned.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've noticed my car will do this as well. To be honest, I think this car just has a tooky a$$ clutch. It seems that one day I can shift smooth as butter, and some days I can feel the clutch grabbing a little more. I've had numerous stick shift vehicles from a nissan hardbody 4 banger to a 85 scottsdale 350/ granny low. None of them ever acted like this. First time I choked down I felt so embarrassed i had to do a burnout when I cranked her back up. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
If these things have an electronic gas pedal (don't know if they do), then maybe that's the issue. Or I was thinking maybe the last gas I filled up with, because it wasn't happening before.
Yes, Challengers are "fly by wire".
With the predator, there is a throttle boost setting that helps with the lag.

Reactions: friendoffur

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok Dan, thanks. I'll try that, but once I pull the fuse do I put it right back in or what?

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,473 Posts
Ok Dan, thanks. I'll try that, but once I pull the fuse do I put it right back in or what?
What I do is leave it out, then go and use the fob/key to try to start it. Of course, since the #2 fuse is out, it won't. This essentially resets the Adaptives in the PCM. It performs the same functions as disconnecting the negative battery cable as far as the PCM Adaptives. Then put the fuse back inand drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Coolbreeze, this may sound obvious, but have you tried it without the traction control and/or sport mode and get the same results?

If power brake my Challenger and let go, hammer down, my face almost hits the steering wheel at launch. I take off TC, and problem solved.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coolbreeze, this may sound obvious, but have you tried it without the traction control and/or sport mode and get the same results?

If power brake my Challenger and let go, hammer down, my face almost hits the steering wheel at launch. I take off TC, and problem solved.
Well, no I haven't, but I do have a 6 speed whether that would make a difference or not, I don't know. But I'll try that as well. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've noticed a couple of people mentioning the Throttle boost feature on the Predator. I've seen it on there myself, just didn't know what the best adjustment to use. Has anyone used this, and what do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I've noticed a couple of people mentioning the Throttle boost feature on the Predator. I've seen it on there myself, just didn't know what the best adjustment to use. Has anyone used this, and what do you recommend?
I would start with 10% i have seen people go as high as 20%. All you are really doing is opening the blade a little faster.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Nope, don't have a tuner.
I would check service bulletins to see if your year is on the list for reflash of the pcm. I cant remeber what year was on the service bulletin. Just a thought.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks JET, I just checked with dealership and using the last 8 of my vin, no service bulletins.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts