Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 8K miles on my Scat and very little city miles at that, yet lately it started to squeak when I'm almost at a full stop. My hunch is it's my car polish spray on the disks which may have transferred to the pads as well. When cleaning my wheels in the beginning, I'd spray the wheel instead of the towel. Anyways, just wondering what you all think of my hunch and if there's anything I can clean the disks off with minimal work.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Definitely wouldn't be any over spray- the brakes get super hot and would burn off anything immediately.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I drive my scat daily and it has the OEM rotors and pads. I had the same issue for a short time but squeak went away after a couple of days. During the time the breaks squeaked I had no breaking issues. I did a visual check of my rotors and pads just to make sure everything was OK. I did read a thread a month ago on this form that other folks have periodically had the same issue.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drive my scat daily and it has the OEM rotors and pads. I had the same issue for a short time but squeak went away after a couple of days. During the time the breaks squeaked I had no breaking issues. I did a visual check of my rotors and pads just to make sure everything was OK. I did read a thread a month ago on this form that other folks have periodically had the same issue.
I haven't had any breaking issues from this either. It's been going on for about 2 weeks or so now, but I only drive it 2-3 times per week. It's only in town at slower speeds that I hear the squeak from the pad. I'm just surprised this is happening at such a low mileage. I hope it goes away like you said. It's annoying to say the least.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,229 Posts
They are racing brakes and you need to drive them hard some times.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,223 Posts
I had an issue on my R/T stock brakes squealing that I could never get rid of until I changed both the rotors & pads. You may want to try and bed them and see if that helps get rid of the squeak.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Squeaking brakes.... Ya know, for as long as I can remember, I've been able to cure this by using compressed air. If the pads are in decent shape and have a lot of life left, I slide the calipers off and use about 125 PSI with an open pipe and remove every last trace of dirt and dust from everything. Squeak is gone. Always works.

-John

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had an issue on my R/T stock brakes squealing that I could never get rid of until I changed both the rotors & pads. You may want to try and bed them and see if that helps get rid of the squeak.
I hope I don't have to replace...I mean 8000 miles?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I hope I don't have to replace...I mean 8000 miles?
That is about the same time my brakes started squeaking 8-9k miles. I now have over 12k and the squeak is gone. From the advice on a previous thread. I beded the brakes a few times and that seemed to do the trick. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I get the squeaking as well. Mainly in slow - stop & go traffic. A little embarassing. I remembered the first time I noticed it. I kept looking around at the cars next to me trying to figure out which idiot was making so much noise. Then it dawned on me - crap it's me. :eek:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get the squeaking as well. Mainly in slow - stop & go traffic. A little embarassing. I remembered the first time I noticed it. I kept looking around at the cars next to me trying to figure out which idiot was making so much noise. Then it dawned on me - crap it's me. :eek:
That's how I feel!!!! Lol

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
Start out with 6 in a row stops from 30 to 10 but no complete stops then do 6 in a row stops 60 to 20 if it is a bedding problem this should fix it.....

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,223 Posts
Start out with 6 in a row stops from 30 to 10 but no complete stops then do 6 in a row stops 60 to 20 if it is a bedding problem this should fix it.....
Bedding never fixed mine with the stock pads. I swapped over to EBC Redstuff which took care of the noise but they ate the rotors up so I ended up with R1 premium rotors & Hawk HPS pads all the way around. A lot better braking with those.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My wifes car had squeaky brakes and the pads were relatively new. I took em of and used an orbitle sander with 60 grit for bout 20 seconds...no more squeak. Small noises on her car makes her crazy so I had to take care of it straight away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts