Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 13 R/T with the 6 speed STP package. just rolled 30k on it and feels like the gears are loose (probably more like a pinion thats loose) i feel it when i shift slow with low rpm's and ease out of the clutch, if im coasting and then lightly apply power downshifting sometimes.

it dosent really concern me to much but it just dosent feel right its gradually gotten loser feeling over the last 10k miles....

anyone else with a sloppy rear?

·
12,990 Posts
Bring it to the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im planing to do that soon, just hate the thought of them taking off the cover and find nothing and get charged for a diff service when im about 90% sure that its in there. just like the "hemi tick" ive had that since 3500 miles, its not really bad but when i took it in and was told to put exhaust on it just tells me if you want something donw the right way you need to do it yourself.

plus im trying to fish if anyone else has noticed this too

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah take it to the dealer. This does not sound right.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,748 Posts
No slop in mine at 43,000 miles.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Well, damn. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but i wouldnt go as far to say that i have a sloppy rear end. Kidding aside, i have no issues there, either.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
There have been instances of loose ujoint bolts. You definately need to check it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From what I gather the "sloppiness" feeing from the rear end is just normal , mine when pulling forward at low speed and backing up you can barely hear the clunk of driveline slop for lack of a better term, almost like when you have a rear live axle off the round and rotate the axle back and forth ,at least on mine its nothing major , barely hear it. Mine is a stick tho .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i took it in a wail ago and the tech didnt find anything unusual i guess its normal and good to go for more burnouts lol it sound like 11rt has the same thing goin on tho. its fine if the rear stays loaded but shift slow and it jerks/clucks lightly when the clutch is let out. dont give any gas from a stop and let out of the clutch and it dose it, down shift quick and it dose it. the tech looked at the rubber couper piece the diff fluid and all mounts and everything looked fine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah everytime I back into the driveway going forward then into a reverse gear when everything becomes unloaded then pre loads you can hear a little clank back there lol..just part of the beast..much like the damn hemi tick. sounds like any 9 inch Ford unloaded so im not worried . The sticks have more driveline sounds/slop than the auto's do. Now if I could only get that Tremec to sound like an old Muncie m22 id be happy .

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2012 with 34,000 on it does it too . Sounds like exessive backlash in the rearend . Aint worried about it ,,,, let it blow ! BooBoo

·
Registered
356 Posts
2012 30k 6sp

I also feel the slop but it is normal especially with the rubber couplers. They tend to keep and release load versus a solid driveline. I also get massive wheel hop and when shifting out of it (into 2nd) I get a loud bang out of the rear end. It feels like a momentum shift, a transfer of torque. I dont have the rearend howl like most complaints state, no weird noises at speed. I feel all is normal nothing suspect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I went ahead and jacked my car up just to be sure of what was going on . Everything is tight from the front of drive shaft to the rear end . The only play I felt was normal backlash between the ring and pinion gear which is set at the factory . So all that jerking and rocking and bumping is just backlash being transmitted through all that rubber that the rear end is mounted in . Looks like I wont be putting in a quickchange rearend any time soon . Later . BooBoo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts