Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've noticed since the warmer weather has come upon us that my car runs kind of sluggish. When I first drive the car after it has sat for many hours, it has a lot of power. However, when the car reaches operating temperature, the car runs a bit sluggish. I have the diablo tuner CAI 93 on it right now. Would a lower temp. thermostat help?

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
The thermostat may help a little. Hemis don't like heat, it's the nature of the beast.

·
12,990 Posts
The 5.7's all run sluggish in the hot weather, a 180 thermostat will help your engine run a bit cooler by lowering your fan settings but it won't be a day and night difference.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
As you guys stated these Hemis are anti-hot weather creatures. I was curious about his air filter. My CAI didn't look dirty or show accumulation but after washing it out and reinstalling the filter it made a difference. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,754 Posts
The thermostat may help a little. Hemis don't like heat, it's the nature of the beast.
Yeah ain't that the truth, 23 days over a 100 degrees and summer hasn't even started yet. The only time the car feels good is at 4-5am and then it is still 80 degrees.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Our big fat ladies dont like the heat for sure. Its only been in the 90S here but the heat coming out of the engine bay is crazy. I talked to my buddy who is a tech for Dodge and he told me alot of the heat from my car was the pipes(headers). I guess when I have a reason to take out the headers I will be wrapping them.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Our big fat ladies dont like the heat for sure. Its only been in the 90S here but the heat coming out of the engine bay is crazy. I talked to my buddy who is a tech for Dodge and he told me alot of the heat from my car was the pipes(headers). I guess when I have a reason to take out the headers I will be wrapping them.
Just a suggestion - have your headers coated instead of wrapping, more effective (and permanent).

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just a suggestion - have your headers coated instead of wrapping, more effective (and permanent).
Thanks didnt think about getting them coated. Will have to check into it locally. :smileup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Make sure you have functional hood scoops. They help some. Also in order to take advantage of the 180* Tstat you need a tuner to be able adjust the fan settings. I have never tried this but have read the changing out the foam pad under the Intake with a heat resistant wool blanket also helps heat problems. Again only something I read. No clue if it works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Didn't even think about the functional hood scoops. Anybody know where I can get a set for a 14' R/T Plus????

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Didn't even think about the functional hood scoops. Anybody know where I can get a set for a 14' R/T Plus????
Got mine from the local dealership but I seem to remember one of our vendors here on the Z also sells them. Hopefully someone with a better memory than me will chime in on who that is.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've noticed mine likes the 40/50 degree (dense air) temps way better then the dog days of summer, it's probably the same for all muscle engines though, hot air is hot air right

·
Registered
413 Posts
Got mine off eBay. $79.99 free shipping.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you have the CAI 93oct tune your fan settings are set for a180 degree thermostat. You can lower the fan settings further with the tuner.

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
The t-stat helps a bit but with high intake air temps the computer will pull timing and the car feels sluggish. That's the science of it from what I understand.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hemis run really great when the engine temp is closer to 160, but that will bring up longevity issues. I am half tempted to just remove my thermostat, I have had to pull 5 degrees out of my tune just to avoid knock retard at night this summer. Water methanol injection is looking better every day. Don't mind my bad advise for stock garage queens, Because Racecar .

Reactions: friendoffur

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have noticed the same thing but never know it was the summer's heat, so I am not worried now. Someone said something about the engine cover, last summer I had it off and she ran better now I put it back on and she runs sluggish, guess what when I go home it back in the basement. I love this car!!!!!! I have been getting off work at 9 pm this week and I listen to the HEMI all the way home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts