Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I smashed my front and LHside of my RT 4months ago at a track day event(with an instructor in the car,brakes we're cooked and plough into a tyre wall at 160km. Well Last week I purchased a smashed SRT with damage in the rear and RHside SRT on Copart auction site. It's being shipped to NZ now.
I needed a wreck to fix all my panels front bumpers and broken knuckle joint and rotors etc.
So I planned to take the knuckles, Brembos and adaptive suspension, package from the SRT and put them on my RT , along with all the paneling. I also had an engine swap priced(6.4 into my RT)at only 3-4-5k nzd($2800-3500 usd), and I read on this forum yesterday that the SRT has a 1/4 inch larger diameter exhaust pipe. So I'll need to change that over as well, and the steering wheel.
Is there anything eles I should be thinking about.
I might take the 392 badge but it will always have started life as a RT so that badging will stay.
Oh I've also ordered a Danko shaker and predator grill.
This car will no longer be the RT it started life out at!!
Any input welcome as I don't really know what I'm getting myself into.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
image.png
image.jpeg
image.png
image.png
image.jpeg image.png Opps I forgot the photos
The one on the trailer is mine. The SRT has the stripes, which I won off Copart. And is now on its way to me.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Good luck. Look forward to some pics

Reactions: Spixy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man that is bad luck - good luck with the rebuild. No doubt the a Kiwi know how will have it sorted better than new.

·
Premium Member
12,528 Posts
Looking forward to following this post... you will always be one day ahead of us LOL...

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,614 Posts
Good luck, think that SRT might be a good choice. How much is shipping, could not be cheap.

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
If you weren't going to swap the rear you may want to check to see which one you have in your R/T. You could have a 215 mm open rear or the optional 226 mm LSD. If you have a 215 mm rear now would be a good time to swap it to the heavier duty limited slip rear of the SRT.

If you don't know which rear you have you should be able to get your original equipment build list here: http://dodge.custhelp.com/app/dodge/eqlisting_detail/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA3Njk5NzE1L3NpZC9TYVQxY3dfbA== by entering your VIN, if not send an email to Dodge assistance and they should be able to help you out. That should tell you which rear is in your car.

Reactions: Spixy and habbie

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
The belly pan for the SRT is different from the R/T, and the damage on the R/H side of your SRT may have damaged some of those belly pan components. Be prepared for that.

Best of luck to you! When you are done, you will own the first and only Challenger SR/T!

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Look forward to watching this build. Having a complete parts car that looks relatively good in the front should make repairs to your car pretty straight forward. If you do get the 6.4L switched over, that should really be cool.. Sort of like a Scat Pack. Lol. Good luck with your (re)build.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
dodge man2 I was thinking that same thing but it looks like the SRT may have frame damage. keep us posted as the repairs progress. best of luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Good morning from a day ahead!
Many thanks to all. The encouragement has given my the warm fuzzies!
And I am documenting and looking into all the suggestions re; belly pan, open rear or LSD options etc thank you. Things I don't really know a lot about. So when I talk with my Panelbeater here I've got an idea of what's involved and what we can do.
Obviously we can better assess the situation once the SRT arrives in about a month.

As for shipping, well we are lucky that the SRT is still drivable, which makes loading on an off a lot easier. It was about 1400usd from NC to LA and about 3600usd to ship to NZ.
Plus car and rebuild.
It was always going to be a bit of a kick in the guts financially, but we wanted her back. Back with some changes tho ;-)

Yes considered rebuild SRT, personally think probably a better option, but not to sure what hoops we would have to jump through to get the wreck paper worked up for NZ compliance. Someone did mention just swapping the VINs but after reading about our Swedish friend's learnings about VINs I'm not so sure.

Photos a few hours before the crash with our mate. Then the crash

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just found out from dodge that I do have the 226mm LSD. So that's pretty cool to know. Thanks 70barcuda

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Hey good luck with the build , will be watching with interest. What company did you use to get the SRT back to NZ . I'm in the process of bringing a car the other way and the cost seems pretty similar. Do you have to pay tax on purchase price of the SRT or is it different with a wreck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks, we used
http://www.foytt.com/ they seem fairly efficient, with ships leaving weekly.
Yes I have to pay 15 % gst tax.

Judging by your avatar you are kiwi, or just like the moko, or have one? What sort of car would you bring into the states?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh yes I can see why you would be attached to that car. A bit of Australian Chrysler Hemi Muscle. I real like those old colors too. Classic!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts