Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Smooth Shifting

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  BBC2Hemi 
#1 ·
I’m a noob with in comes to driving a manual (bought the car and through resilience and a lot of cursing I’ve gotten it down)... I noticed that my gear shift is now smoothly shifting into gear. It feels different from when I first bought the car, as it felt more sturdy and firm. It now glides into gear. Is that a sign of a bad bushing or its me being a noob to a manual and it’s supposed to smoothly get into gear?

#4 ·
I never cared for my stock shifter, I went with a Barton and never looked back. I do agree though you are probably getting better at it.

Reactions: Dodgeguy
#6 ·
It is not just the nob, it is the shifter assembly itself. This is a stock assembly.

I didn't use the Barton pistol grip, I used a Hurst handle on mine, the Barton self centers so pull slight left to shift to 2nd, push to 3rd, pull to 4th, push slight right to 5th and pull slight right to 6th. Very smooth and very precise shifting.

Reactions: Yellowjacket 6.4
#9 ·
The Barton was too short for my liking, very short throw in the shift itself, I guess I am too old school in my shifting.

#10 ·
looking to buy a shaker rt manual my friends 2015 challenger clutch is like pushing a cinderblock way too heavy. my daily driver is a 2016 wrangler with 6sp tried out a mustang v8 'gT clutch very nice. How does the challenger clutch effort feel compared to others? do you think its "heavy" my jeep is reasonable very long throws however but its a jeep. Do you think i'll regret getting the RT manual?? Also, my friends camaro has a lock out from a 1-4 shift. Is there a lock out on the challenger trans?? can you do a 2-5 shift ?

#11 ·
looking to buy a shaker rt manual my friends 2015 challenger clutch is like pushing a cinderblock way too heavy. my daily driver is a 2016 wrangler with 6sp tried out a mustang v8 'gT clutch very nice. How does the challenger clutch effort feel compared to others? do you think its "heavy" my jeep is reasonable very long throws however but its a jeep. Do you think i'll regret getting the RT manual??
I think the clutch is fairly easy on the Challengers, I have driven a lot of manuals over the years and have no issues with it.

Reactions: Scott MacDonald
#17 ·
I did that, just annoying to me to do, eliminator is easier to do, install it and forget it, best 20 bucks I ever spent.

#19 ·
It is plug and play, no need to involve a dealer.

#20 ·

I have just the grip in mine. It came already on my car when I bought it and I was skeptical at first. I always used a knob and driving around in this felt strange. But it grew on me and I love it.

And as far as it feeling smooth. That's a good sign. Like everyone says on here, it means you're doing it right.

Now, if it feels like you miss a gear and it shifts straight to 4th. That's the car, not you lol. That's the only thing I don't like about my car.

#21 ·
I changed the trans fluid to Royal Purple Sychromax, smooth as butter now, changed the diff oil also to 75w-90 RP, what a nice change, whine seems to have disappeared. Friend of mine says he has some kind of deal for free fluid changes and the whine is always present, that tells me something.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.