Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They come with a phone app. I plan to use Amber but have RGB.
How should I run the power and why?
1) Automatic on with the matching amber halo running lights and I can turn them off with the phone app. Not so good for car shows but the hood is normally up anyway.
2) Do not automatically have them turn but manually turn them off/on from the phone app. Not sure I like fumbling with the phone app when starting the car especially when it connects to Android Auto. Better for car shows but the hood is normally up anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,049 Posts
Why not a mercury switch or pin switch...on when hood is down, off when hood is up

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,049 Posts
No, you'd have to wire it switched, so it only has power when in the run or maybe accessory position..........was just offering a suggestion to fix the led on when the hood is up (no one would see it then)

I would think you'd want it wired switched, and with a 2nd switch inline, so you can turn it on or off when you want....or maybe have it come on with the headlights.....no need to have it on during the day right ?

Basically, switched power, then a secondary form of control using a 2nd switch to turn it on OR let it come on automatically with the headlights....or both if you want to get creative with a couple of relays.....

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wire it to the lights in the fuse box
I put red led light strip in mine
There’s hell under the hood!!
View attachment 265061
I plan to pull power from the fuse box as well. The way you have this wired.....
.5) Do you drive at night like this?
1) Can you turn on the led's without the headlights on?
2) Can you turn off the led's while driving at night?
3) Where exactly did you install the strip in there? It looks like I have about a 1/2" area right behind the grill before there is a larger area that sticks up in the middle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Added mine several months ago.
Yes I drive at night with them on.
Yes on without headlights, wired separately.
On a switch so they can be turned on and off on the fly easily.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, you drive at night and they don't come on automatically with the headlights or anything else. If you want them on, you turn them off and on manually. Correct?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I plan to pull power from the fuse box as well. The way you have this wired.....
.5) Do you drive at night like this?
1) Can you turn on the led's without the headlights on?
2) Can you turn off the led's while driving at night?
3) Where exactly did you install the strip in there? It looks like I have about a 1/2" area right behind the grill before there is a larger area that sticks up in the middle.
Mine come on any time the parking lights are on, so yes, drive with them on. The red glow behind the car is from the tail lights.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
JetsZone621 - those look so cool! Can you send a link or name the manufacturer/product name or where you bought them?
To the original question - doesn’t anybody make something that is batter operated? Battery life and LED light power has increased exponentially in the past decade. Seems like that would be easiest and least intrusive. I’m just saying...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JetsZone621 - those look so cool! Can you send a link or name the manufacturer/product name or where you bought them?
To the original question - doesn’t anybody make something that is batter operated? Battery life and LED light power has increased exponentially in the past decade. Seems like that would be easiest and least intrusive. I’m just saying...
I got my kit here which will be installed tomorrow. This kit 4ea 12" sticks (i will only use 1) and runs from a phone app or remote. You can power it from the fuse box or cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got'er done. The LED's come on when I start the car and turn off when I turn the car off. I can turn them off manually with a phone app if I need to. This way I can't leave them on by accident.
I can change colors and effects. Even have them dance to my music (useless).
For legal reasons, I plan to leave them amber.
The only negative was I partially blocked air going through my hood scoop. I still get air from the bottom of my CAI and from my headlight though.
I have 3 left over 12" LED sticks I may install if I can find a good use.
The pics suck with the headlights on. Sorry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts