Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
@68Coronet I took the liberty to compare your Challenger to mine with the differing wheel sizes, 20" vs 15". Was your Pic photoshopped? For 15" wheels would the tire profile be larger to fill the tire well the way it does?
View attachment 274895
I really like the look. Retro to be sure.
Yes. You would use tires with taller sidewalls.

Here is your Challenger w/15" Keystones...

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,440 Posts
1975 Dodge Dart.... /6 - auto... much like this however mine ran well... lol...

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
9,969 Posts
That's back when sheet metal was like steel plate. You could build just about two of todays cars out of the metal from one of those old tanks! Sometimes I'm literally afraid to lean or put my hand on my Challenger to brace myself while I"m washing or waxing it due to how paper thin the sheetmetal is. You can thank the NHTSA and the corporate bean counters for that!
You might be surprised how one of those old tanks would fare in a collision with a modern car.

I know I was! o_O

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
4,032 Posts
You might be surprised how one of those old tanks would fare in a collision with a modern car.

I know I was! o_O
You turn into a human pin cushion with that fixed steering shaft behind the wheel. I'd rather risk a modern Takata air bag than become a shishkabob like in the old days!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Awesome, at the age of 16 in NY (with a Learners permit), I had both a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD and a 1993 Plymouth laser 1.8l, both in manual. I think I was the only kid in school that had a nice car (well to me; and very heavily modified) and a beater car to drive around. My UN has been my internet handle for that 20+ years.

I ended up selling my Talon to a friend (3 blocks away from me) that lusted after it for over 20 years a couple of years ago. I literally was just sent this picture today from my friend who is a mechanic; he was like. Look your car is here. hahah. He put the OEM wheels back and am guessing he took off the upgraded G2 brakes I had put on...Blasphemy!

View attachment 274887
That's awesome, yes they were fun little cars. My buddy had a laser also with the 1.8

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

I know I was! o_O
One has nothing to do with the other. Automobile covering is purely cosmetic. It is not integral to structural integrity. Many older vehicles were not designed to withstand head-on collisions, merely because they were not as prevalent. Less cars on the road = less collisions. Take a look at how small the A pillars are on some of those vehicles... The '59 Bel-Air also sports the notoriously weak X frame. Let's see that same test against a Studebaker.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
1957 Chevy HT
It was a retired drag strip car, I worked part time after school and on weekends at a gas station, pumping gas and doing oil changes to pay for it. I restored it back to its street glory, all of the interior was gone, and had to be replaced, gas tank etc. I built a nice 327 for it with a four speed. The old body cost me $ 150.00 after that for months and months every paycheck went into the old Chebby

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Yes. You would use tires with taller sidewalls.

Here is your Challenger w/15" Keystones...
View attachment 274898
They certainly do change the appearance to a great degree. I'm so used to my wheels that it would take some getting used to. Maybe a lot of getting used to.

·
Trigger657
2,841 Posts
@68Coronet I took the liberty to compare your Challenger to mine with the differing wheel sizes, 20" vs 15". Was your Pic photoshopped? For 15" wheels would the tire profile be larger to fill the tire well the way it does?
View attachment 274895
I really like the look. Retro to be sure.

This was my 09 R/T (Exact same Car as the B5 Blue shown above) after pulling off the R/T stripes and changing out the stock wheels. Added 275x45x9.5 20s Front and 315x35x10.5 20s and yes they did get cut by the fender edge. For that reason I downsized on the 2014 SRT to 305s on the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
View attachment 274960
This was my 09 R/T (Exact same Car as the B5 Blue shown above) after pulling off the R/T stripes and changing out the stock wheels. Added 275x45x9.5 20s Front and 315x35x10.5 20s and yes they did get cut by the fender edge. For that reason I downsized on the 2014 SRT to 305s on the rear.
Looks nice! I wish we could get a retro fuel fill cover that sits on surface of the body, same as the original.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My first was a 1962 VW Beetle painted with J.I. Case tractor enamel in my Dad's unheated garage on a freezing winter day in 1972. It looked like a basketball there was so much orange peel in the finish coat. I added peace signs on the hood inserts later in the spring when it warmed up a bit. Zero to 60 was clocked in minutes, not seconds...
I had a 1962 Volkswagen in 1976. It had different colored shag carpet on the inside door panels and on the roof. Psychedelic doodlebug. Blew the engine up in it, all 40 horses...dead before arrival actually.lol

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
I had a 1962 Volkswagen in 1976. It had different colored shag carpet on the inside door panels and on the roof. Psychedelic doodlebug. Blew the engine up in it, all 40 horses...dead before arrival actually.lol
I actually blew mine up once too. Me and a couple buddies were crossing Rt. 115 one afternoon after school let out. I started across and looked up to find Orlin Hendrix bearing down on us in his Farm Services Gas truck. I put my foot through the floorboard and forgot all about shifting out of 1st gear. The engine sounded like marbles for a split second and quit as we rolled into the other side of the intersection with a blown engine. Orlin told my Dad about the close call that night, much to my dread. My Dad originally bought that car from my Uncle Harold, who was an IH Tractor mechanic at the local International Harvestor dealership. Uncle Harold picked it up at an auction just to play around with it, but gladly sold it to my Dad for $200 for use as my first car. So...when I blew the engine, guess who fixed it? Yup, good Old Uncle Harold! He made money twice off my Dad with that car! He found a good used engine at German Motors in Kankakee, IL and placed it into that Orange Pealed Beetle LOL. As soon as I got enought of my own money, I found a '66 Mustang hardtop with a 200CI six and 3-speed on the floor as a replacement for that VW and it served me well until I graduated from high school. But, that's another story...

61 - 80 of 115 Posts