Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I actually blew mine up once too. Me and a couple buddies were crossing Rt. 115 one afternoon after school let out. I started across and looked up to find Orlin Hendrix bearing down on us in his Farm Services Gas truck. I put my foot through the floorboard and forgot all about shifting out of 1st gear. The engine sounded like marbles for a split second and quit as we rolled into the other side of the intersection with a blown engine. Orlin told my Dad about the close call that night, much to my dread. My Dad originally bought that car from my Uncle Harold, who was an IH Tractor mechanic at the local International Harvestor dealership. Uncle Harold picked it up at an auction just to play around with it, but gladly sold it to my Dad for $200 for use as my first car. So...when I blew the engine, guess who fixed it? Yup, good Old Uncle Harold! He made money twice off my Dad with that car! He found a good used engine at German Motors in Kankakee, IL and placed it into that Orange Pealed Beetle LOL. As soon as I got enought of my own money, I found a '66 Mustang hardtop with a 200CI six and 3-speed on the floor as a replacement for that VW and it served me well until I graduated from high school. But, that's another story...
We also had a red 66 mustang 6 with a 3 speed! It had what the called back then mud tires on the back,we didnt know the term all terrain.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A 71 Satellite Sebring my Dad gave me. A car he bought new and I grew up with. Still have her!
Love to see a photo...not that many around..looking for a '71 Road Runner or Super Bee by summer myself.

Reactions: Octane

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
4,032 Posts
We also had a red 66 mustang 6 with a 3 speed! It had what the called back then mud tires on the back,we didnt know the term all terrain.
We must both have grown up in parallel universes! Mine was light metallic blue Tahoe Turquoise with a light Aqua Metallic interior.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We must both have grown up in parallel universes! Mine was light metallic blue Tahoe Turquoise with a light Aqua Metallic interior.
View attachment 275036
Ours was red with black interior.It would scoot,for a 6cylinder of that era.My bro changed the clutch etc and forgot to refill the oil that ran out the tail.It locked up and it was new trans time! $750 for rebuilt trans and about $50 for rebuilt shifter.We only gave $550 for the car! Lol. 1974 was a bad year.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
My first car was a '66 Chevy Malibu I bought for $850 back in '73. Had the 327c.i., auto, AM radio and the bench seat. Naturally had to add a 8-track player, some mag wheels and jack it up later on...still wished I had that car.

View attachment 274728
I love that, great colour too. Funny how We all wished We had kept our old cars.

·
Premium Member
9,158 Posts
I love that, great colour too. Funny how We all wished We had kept our old cars.
Yup, would have been nice to hang on to the old car but life got in the way, working construction a truck was more appropriate and raising kids killed the paychecks easily. I still had two wheels during those years so not all was lost, I would like to have kept a few of those bikes though.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Believe it or not, my “hip” mother drove a ‘68 Firebird 350 and by the time I hit high school, she let me drive it and it kind of became mine. It created a life-long appreciation for Pontiacs in me which lasted until they discontinued in 2009 at which time I switched to Dodge. My 2nd car - and the1st that I actually owned - was a ‘71 GTO 400. (Ironically, life has come full circle. The GTO had a very similar color to my current Challenger and both were mid-sized muscle cars!)

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Believe it or not, my “hip” mother drove a ‘68 Firebird 350 and by the time I hit high school, she let me drive it and it kind of became mine. It created a life-long appreciation for Pontiacs in me which lasted until they discontinued in 2009 at which time I switched to Dodge. My 2nd car - and the1st that I actually owned - was a ‘71 GTO 400. (Ironically, life has come full circle. The GTO had a very similar color to my current Challenger and both were mid-sized muscle cars!)
A cool mother. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The GTO is one of my favorites. "The Judge"! :)(y)

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
9,969 Posts
An old story (from me). I bought my first car as a high school junior in 1977. My dad was my co-signer, so he had the final say on any car I purchased. We went down to a Pontiac dealership where I had found a 1968 primered Firebird in the used car ads of the local paper but my dad vetoed my choice, worried that the F-bird had too much power (and temptation) for a high school kid. Instead he spotted an old navy blue Pontiac GTO in the back of the lot that the dealership had just accepted as a trade. To him the GTO looked like a safer, more responsible vehicle. Much to my chagrin, he told me this was "the car". The sedate looking, 2 door sedan-styled coupe looked like something my mom would drive! So began my lifelong fascination with American muscle.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
An old story (from me). I bought my first car as a high school junior in 1977. My dad was my co-signer, so he had the final say on any car I purchased. We went down to a Pontiac dealership where I had found a 1968 primered Firebird, but my dad vetoed my choice, worried that the F-bird had too much power (and temptation) for a high school kid. Instead he spotted an old navy blue Pontiac GTO in the back of the lot that the dealership had just accepted as a trade. To him the GTO looked like a safer, more responsible vehicle. Much to my chagrin, he told me this was "the car". The sedate looking, 2 door sedan-styled coupe looked like something my mom would drive! The rest was history.
Great story.... 🤣

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,071 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,071 Posts
An old story (from me). I bought my first car as a high school junior in 1977. My dad was my co-signer, so he had the final say on any car I purchased. We went down to a Pontiac dealership where I had found a 1968 primered Firebird in the used car ads of the local paper but my dad vetoed my choice, worried that the F-bird had too much power (and temptation) for a high school kid. Instead he spotted an old navy blue Pontiac GTO in the back of the lot that the dealership had just accepted as a trade. To him the GTO looked like a safer, more responsible vehicle. Much to my chagrin, he told me this was "the car". The sedate looking, 2 door sedan-styled coupe looked like something my mom would drive! So began my lifelong fascination with American muscle.
My first muscle car was a 1968 GTO. Are you glad your dad didn't know much about cars? You made out like a bandit on that deal...

81 - 100 of 115 Posts