Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next few weeks I will be getting a Solo exhaust and from reading the instructions it looks like something I could handle, but I have a couple of questions.

Will putting the rear wheels up and ramp provide enough clearance for me to access the exhaust?

After everything is fitted, aligned and tighten should I spot weld at the clamp locations?

Thanks

brian

·
More Than Just A Car
20,522 Posts
I put the rear wheels up on ramps and got it done....It was a little snug up front but I had a friend who is smaller than me clamp the front. I don't think its necessary to spot weld.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The clamps are designed to seal, no spot welding is required.
You can always bring it to Midas for installation, shouldn't cost more then
$150. Good luck, can't wait to hear your results.

·
Dazed & Confused
36,565 Posts
As stated above, backed up on the ramps. It's a little close at the front clamps. Took less than 2 hours to do. The hard part was wiggling the old exhaust off the mid pipes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm a "thick" guy, so I had my car up on jack stands. Like everyone else said, it is a fairly easy install. The one issue I had was with the joint section just behind the cats (lap joints). They would not seal with the clamps Solo sent with the exhaust. I still had leaks where the clamp "seam" was, even torqued to spec.

I ultimately used these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQHUYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were much easier to install since you only need one wrench, and they have a patch of sealing material that seals up the seam when tightened down. They are also made of a heavier stainless than the ones I got from Solo. You just have to be careful to rotate/position them so you can get to the bolts with a wrench.

Other than that, the install was a breeze and took about 2 hours for me (30 minutes of that was carefully getting the car up on jack stands).

Good luck! You won't regret doing this mod - my exhaust sounds great and is getting better as it "breaks in".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! Now I have a couple more questions! ;)

I'm also a "thick" guy so the jack stands sounds like a better option for me. After I lift the car at the floor jack point do I place the jacks stand at the cutout on the rail? (where you jack with the factory jack). Do I need to get pads for the jacks stands? What rating jack stands and floor jack should I get? 2 ton, 2 1/2 ton or bigger.

I like the looks of the Dynomax clamps. Do I need just 2 clamps or should I replace all the supplied clamps?

Thanks again!

brian

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Now I have a couple more questions! ;)

I'm also a "thick" guy so the jack stands sounds like a better option for me. After I lift the car at the floor jack point do I place the jacks stand at the cutout on the rail? (where you jack with the factory jack). Do I need to get pads for the jacks stands? What rating jack stands and floor jack should I get? 2 ton, 2 1/2 ton or bigger.
I use these magnetic jack pads from a forum vendor here:
http://www.challengerforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

They allow me to use my floor jack to lift the front of the car using the "pinch" welds where the car's jack would be used. First, I put tire chocks around the rear wheels. I then lift one side just high enough to put the jack stand under it with it (jack stand) raised two positions up. The jack stand gets placed at the interior jacking point detailed in the user's manual. I then do the other front side the same way. Once that is done, I raise the entire rear end by using my floor jack and two small pieces of 2x4 on the lift pad, lifting the cross-member that is located just aft of the differential (Don't lift using the differential case!). I place the jack stands (raised 3 positions) at the rear jack points just inside the rear pinch weld jack points. Then I go back and raise each front side one jack stand position (making it a total of 3 positions). Once the car is up, wiggle it to make sure it is steady on the jack stands. There are several threads on the forum that show pictures of jacking points.

I like the looks of the Dynomax clamps. Do I need just 2 clamps or should I replace all the supplied clamps?

Thanks again!

brian
You need only two clamps. Solo sent me four. I assume they were 2 + 2 spares. I couldn't get any of them to tighten down enough to prevent leaks, although others here may have had better luck. I don't rule our user error... :4-dontknow:

Again, like everyone says, it is fairly easy to do. My wife helped, but I didn't want her under the car, so she could support the pieces from the rear and we used an upside down 5 gallon bucket under the car as a support, which worked ok.

If you have any questions feel free to call Jeff at Solo (905-703-1557). They are a great outfit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great replies!

Time to go shopping for floor jack, jack stands and car ramps! I'm think about putting the front up on ramps and the back on stands, should provide enough clearance for my thick-self!

brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts