Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my R/T has been in my family since it was new, it has been mine for about 2 years now. Since i've got it i've done the Getrag lsd swap, a muffler delete, a CAI, and added the Diablosport InTune. I've always known that the car would be more enjoyable with a manual but never had the chance to drive one until about a month ago where I drove 2 within a week. My girlfriend's uncle let me take his 2013 6 speed R/T for a spin, and I had the pleasure of test driving a 2015 shaker where I scared the salesman into silence when I banged through the first four gears (priceless:D). Lately, i've been getting bored and annoyed with my car after some maintenance and a broken driveshaft bolt cost me $2,000:mad:. This was probably my fault, but annoying nonetheless. I want to fall back in love with my car again, so i'm asking you, people of the Z, to please help me get in touch with a shop that will perform a manual swap on my car. The shops that I have been in touch with want nothing to do with the task.:( I really don't have the option of a trade in because the car was once rear ended when my mom was driving it, and has over 90k on the clock, killing the resale value. I don't mind spending a few thousand dollars on this, the car has a much higher value to me than its market price. Plus, it's a very low production number, 0407 to be exact! (side note, does that mean that I have the 407th 2009 Challenger, or 407th Challenger R/T?) I thought that I was so cool getting driven to middle school when the car was new.:D Plus, my car has a ton of sentimental value to me, being that it's my first car and I would love to keep it forever. I know this topic has been beat to death with the LX guys, but I figure that because all of the parts exist for a 6 speed Challenger R/T, that there must be some way to do the swap. Maybe with parts from a wrecked car? I would also like to do long tubes at the same time, so the shop could also charge me for installing those. Thank you all in advance for any help that you might be able to give, and for the great abundance of knowledge about my car that I have received over the years here.:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
sorry i cant help. im sure youll get some great advise here but im guessing a few grand might be a little light on what its gonna cost ya.

Reactions: 727freak

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
49,367 Posts
I think you will be way over a few thousand budget even with used parts. Good luck on your project hope you are successful.

Reactions: 727freak

·
801 RWHP
8,206 Posts
Yeah. That seems very ambitious. And I agree above. That is a lot of work (not cheap). Parts wont be cheap even used. Good luck.

·
What's Old is New Again!
36,747 Posts
I'm sorry, add me to the list above that thinks it's just not financially practical to make the swap from automatic to a six speed.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,312 Posts
I get it that you are into your car that much, and that is cool... If you are dead set on it, I would contact a reputable performance shop. See what they say. But think of the parts: Transmission, clutch assy, pedal assy, is the manual trans a different length than the auto? If it is then you are looking at a driveshaft swap/mod. I would think a PCM might be needed... There is the cutting of the floorboard, a 6 spd console, etc. Support structure under the car. By the time you collect all these parts, and the cost of all this... you probably could save up a nice down payment on an original 6 spd car... nice used ones are starting to turn up on dealer lots... Then you will have two awesome rides..... Just my .37 cents here...

Oh, I Forgot... Labor... which is usually two/three times the price of parts.....

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have done a few auto to manual swaps on late fifties and sixties cars. They are fairly easy to do all mechanical components, but with modern computer controlled cars I would not even think of trying it. I would as already said here save our money and find a nice used manual Challenger and have one of each to drive.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree with the previous two posts, this will cost MEGA $$$, I would be very surprised if anyone would take this on for under $10K, there is no real way for a shop to accurately guess the amount of time this could take them to complete, which (essentially) means it will be very expensive. Most shops will not want to do something like this unless they have someone who has done it/knows how to do it and my guess there is there is not a whole lot of these conversions being done.

Buying the parts new would be (I don't know exact numbers but...) a massive chunk of cash, tranny alone your probably looking >$6-8K, even a rebuild is +/-$3500 or over $5K if you go with CF synchros, just to get things started. You could try to find a good used one, but that could be an ordeal in and of itself; you are basically trusting/hoping that it is good and holds up (who had it before and for how long? how well did they maintain of it? how hard did they drive/shift it? etc..) Unless I knew the person by reputation or personally I would likely never buy a used tranny, but that's just me. Thats just one of the parts, while it is the most important and expensive, its still just the starting point.

Also, consider what a used (2nd Challenger) will cost, just quickly browsing Craigslist I found a '09 SRT8 with less than 12K on it for $30K, with manual transmission and clean title...
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/5441963527.html

I know where your coming from though, when I was 18 I received my Grandpa's truck when he passed away ('94 Ram 1500), I planned to keep it forever and eventually put money into it. Over a few years I realized I just couldn't do it, too much money to fix over and over again, over $5K in repairs in 2yrs plus maintenance while in school, with rising gas prices (had a 318) that made it literally impossible. Still pretty sore about it really as I could easily afford it now, but I also needed to eat while in school, so I think my grandfather understood...

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Your only pouring money into a pit you will never recoup. It isn't practical. Enjoy your auto or sell it privately and save some cash (that you would be blowing) on a used 6-speed.

·
Read Only
760 Posts
I get it that you are into your car that much, and that is cool... If you are dead set on it, I would contact a reputable performance shop. See what they say. But think of the parts: Transmission, clutch assy, pedal assy, is the manual trans a different length than the auto? If it is then you are looking at a driveshaft swap/mod. I would think a PCM might be needed... There is the cutting of the floorboard, a 6 spd console, etc. Support structure under the car. By the time you collect all these parts, and the cost of all this... you probably could save up a nice down payment on an original 6 spd car... nice used ones are starting to turn up on dealer lots... Then you will have two awesome rides..... Just my .37 cents here...

Oh, I Forgot... Labor... which is usually two/three times the price of parts.....
Totally agree, and don't forget that the MDS needs disabled as well.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Best bet would be to find a wrecked donor car so you have every part possible. But I agree with others, the labor costs will most likely be staggering.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am completely with you here... I have a huge Mopar guy, An even bigger Charger guy... But I have to have a manual. And of coarse there are no new chargers with manual trannys... So i went to my local Custom shop and asked what it would take. This is what they said:
Charger - 10k (Late Model w/ Blown Engine)
Challenger - 10K (Wrecked but with all good parts, Engine, Tranny, Clutch, Computer)
15-18K for the Swap
And it would be 3-5 Months.

Keep in mind it would be easier because the Challengers are at least set up for a manual...

Thats my experience, I would have gone for it. But I wanted it to be reliable and That is questionable when doing that much work...

Also, I haven't regretted buying my challenger 1 sec... by far the most fun car I have ever owned...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts