Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 14 RT, I've owned for almost 3 months. Lately I have been getting the key fob not detected message a lot. Normally opening and closing my door will get it back working. It really hasn't been a huge deal. But today, today something extremely unnerving happened. I was outside with my uncle. My keys were inside the house, about 100-150 feet away. I was going to show my uncle my door sills, and I said "doors locked, I'll have to go inside and get the key". On my way walking past the car, I touch the door handle, the door unlocks, I open it, and my alarm goes off!! The first thing I can think of is can just anyone open my door while my keys are in the house!? I sometimes, well not gonna lie, most times, leave my school stuff(books, laptops, sometimes my wallet is in my backpack) in the car, so this obviously really freaks me out. Even if it was a one time thing, and even if the cars alarm goes off, those few seconds are plenty of time for a thief to grab and run off! I got my keys, locked the car, threw them on the ground about 25 feet awayand tried to open the door again. Nothing happened. Anyone else ever had this happen?

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,485 Posts
No, this has never happened to me! My car simply won't open unless I have the fob, and it is relatively close! I would take it in for some checking with your dealer. This should not happen.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I have not heard of this specific issue. My 2009 Challenger does not have the touch button feature, nor did any Challengers until maybe 2011 or later, not sure when the feature was introduced. I do know the fob, when working properly has a good range. I work on the 6th floor of the building and from there, I was able to remotely start my vehicle from 300 feet or more when it was cold and I wanted to pre-warm the car on a cold day before I went home.

It may have been a fluke since you put the fob on the ground a lot closer and it didn't work. Perhaps someone else here can try a similar experiment to what you experienced.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Nigel, you're getting hazed by your Challenger. It's a rite of passage. It's totally messin' with you. :D

You can follow the instructions found here to disassemble your key FOBIK http://www.challengerforumz.com/showpost.php?p=596679&postcount=1 and see if a fresh battery and cleaning the battery contacts improves your situation. If not, time to visit the dealer to have them check the ranging on your remote and your Challenger's receiver sensors.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That is weird! My SXT did show that only a couple times (Key FOB not detected, while I was sitting in the car with it) but shortly decided "oops just kidding"... never had the alarm go off though. But no, the FOB needs to be within inches of your door to work.

If you do have something weird going on with your Challenger I hope you get it figured out! :smileup:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Check the fob battery voltage if it's less then 3 volts change it out

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Had the key fob not detected thing happen to me over a year ago. Worst part was happened on a road trip. Stopped at rest stop and it happened. Hasnt happened since.
Nothing like your describing though. You sure no one was in the house messing with you?
Only other thing i can think of is that something else with a close enough frequency got set off and unlocked your door. But since it wasnt your factory fob that did it the alarm was not disabled. Or all of that happened and it was your fob that had an issue and was able, during a malfunctioning little fit, to unlock her without her recognizing the fob. Therefore the alarm stayed active. Since you already had an issue with the fob as many of us have seen i would be inclined to think it was something close to that. Either way have it checked out. Probably gonna chase a ghost but have em look.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Never happened to me. You've only had your car 3 months......I'd take it in and have them check it out, maybe give you a new fob.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would try a new battery before taking it to your dealership. They will charge you like 150$ for a new FOB.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would tend to agree with hammerdown, if fob is OK something close to your location could be operating at the trigger frequency to allow the door to open and still let the alarm trigger. These fobs operate above 300 mhz, and with all the new technology gadgets around now ,it could be anything even a tv remote. but I would not get too concerned unless it happens all the time, it could have been a fluke thing where just as you were showing how it worked it detected the correct freq. from something else....probably would not happen again if you tried.

·
Business
21,330 Posts
When it was cold out last winter mine would sometime not detect the key fob and then suddenly detect it. I figured it was the batteries, so I bought new ones and and keep an extra set in the glove box.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would try a new battery before taking it to your dealership. They will charge you like 150$ for a new FOB.
Replace the battery in the FOB

Actually, everyone that says they have seen the FOB not detected message should go replace the battery in the FOB. It's cheap and easy to do. Even if you only got that message once a while ago...that's how "FOB NOT DETECTED" issues start. It begins intermittently and then it just starts happening all the time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Along the same lines what happened to me twice was, car is locked, fob in my pocket, went to pass side, touched handle door unlocked, opened door and horns started blowing, nothing on fob would stop the horns, went to dr side soon as I opened the dr door horns quit! Also when exiting car I lock the doors with the button on the door panel, shut door start to walk away horn beeps twice and doors unlock. Hit the door lock button and all is good. No sense going to dealer it has only done it a couple of times

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the "fob not detected" issue about a year and a half ago with my 2010 to the point it would come on when driving then be ok, not detected then ok etc. Every time I took it to the dealer it was the proverbial "can't reproduce symptoms". Finally I had to keep a log of the date, time, and car status, when the warning came on. After several pages of the log they agreed there was a problem. I also figured out why they could not reproduce the problem. They always had me bring the second fob (just in case they had to reprogram) and the car was reading the good fob while the other was faulty and ultimately replaced under warranty.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
You should really take it in. You shouldn't be able to open your car with the keys in your house. Low battery or not, that is not good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my challenger did the same thing to me today. key fob was inside, door was locked, and I went to open door.it came open and the alarm went off. key fob was about 60 feet away inside house????

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's a 14 RT, I've owned for almost 3 months. Lately I have been getting the key fob not detected message a lot. Normally opening and closing my door will get it back working. It really hasn't been a huge deal. But today, today something extremely unnerving happened. I was outside with my uncle. My keys were inside the house, about 100-150 feet away. I was going to show my uncle my door sills, and I said "doors locked, I'll have to go inside and get the key". On my way walking past the car, I touch the door handle, the door unlocks, I open it, and my alarm goes off!! The first thing I can think of is can just anyone open my door while my keys are in the house!? I sometimes, well not gonna lie, most times, leave my school stuff(books, laptops, sometimes my wallet is in my backpack) in the car, so this obviously really freaks me out. Even if it was a one time thing, and even if the cars alarm goes off, those few seconds are plenty of time for a thief to grab and run off! I got my keys, locked the car, threw them on the ground about 25 feet awayand tried to open the door again. Nothing happened. Anyone else ever had this happen?
Like others have stated I say check the batteries in the key fob. Just a question? How is the other key Fob working? We do get 2.

Reactions: My392Mopar

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I'm going to take a stab at this and may be totally wrong. Perhaps you hadn't locked the car to begin with? So you were able to open it but the car didn't detect a fob so it started the alarm. Is this possible?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts