Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised and a little pissed when I found that there wasn't a spare tire in my new Shaker. But as I think about it, a little donut spare wouldn't be a good match for the "anti-spin rear axle". That being said, I wonder how many people have been stranded because they thought they had a spare tire?
Also;
Have any of you had experience with any of the sealants for fast fix flats?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The sealant does go bad (there is an expiration date on the can) and some members have had issues with it gunking up the compressor. I have used the compressor to fill a tire after I pulled a nail out of it and plugged it, and even on the stock 245 it took quite a while (probably felt longer than it actually was on the side of the road in traffic) to pump up the tire from 19 to 32psi. My advice would be to throw a small tire plug kit in the trunk right next to the compressor. Big sticky tires tend to be nail/screw magnets.

ETA: the goo is selectable, i used the compressor without the goo just to pump up the tire.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
876 Posts
I bought this kit from Modern Spare: Challenger Spare Tire Kit. It provides a little peace of mind on trips.

I just added a poncho and a flashlight. Because my theory is that if you're going to have a flat tire ... it will probably be at night ... in the rain.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, that's what I just did.It just bugs me that $365 for the tire. How much would it have cost Dodge to throw in a frigging spare tire when they buy by the 100 thousands lots

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm from the camp that sez...........spare tires are an unnecessary cost and weight.

Even though its been over 40 years since I had a flat and was stranded, AAA and today's tire quality don't make me lose sleep. And if I lose a day of driving, no big deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm from the camp that sez...........spare tires are an unnecessary cost and weight.

Even though its been over 40 years since I had a flat and was stranded, AAA and today's tire quality don't make me lose sleep. And if I lose a day of driving, no big deal.
The full size Modern Spare weighs under 20lbs and is rated for 85mph. I'd rather be self sufficient when it matters than worry about 20 lbs and have to wait in the middle of nowhere for outside help. I've had a flat in an area where it would take hours to walk to the nearest small town, and just as long of a wait for someone to come rescue me from a simple flat tire, but since I always carry a spare, I was on my way in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was surprised and a little pissed when I found that there wasn't a spare tire in my new Shaker. But as I think about it, a little donut spare wouldn't be a good match for the "anti-spin rear axle". That being said, I wonder how many people have been stranded because they thought they had a spare tire?
Also;
Have any of you had experience with any of the sealants for fast fix flats?
I would never use the inflation kit with the fix-a-flat crap in it. Fix-a-flat is horrible stuff that does horrible things to your tire and your wheels. It's caustic shit that permanently bonds with whatever it touches, is a massive pain to clean off of your wheels, and it ruins a tire that might have an otherwise fixable puncture in it. Most punctures that fix-a-flat can temporarily fix can be permanently patched at the tire shop, but if you put fix-a-flat in that tire... that tire is done and you're buying a new one.

I bought this kit from Modern Spare: Challenger Spare Tire Kit. It provides a little peace of mind on trips.

I just added a poncho and a flashlight. Because my theory is that if you're going to have a flat tire ... it will probably be at night ... in the rain.
Was about to reply the same as Wizard: Modern Spare install
This is the way to go. Modern Spare makes a full size spare specifically for the Challenger, it's light weight, rated at 85 mph, comes with a good ratcheting jack and a telescoping iron, and fits inside of the spare tire well in the trunk. I had my Modern Spare ordered before my factory ordered Challenger arrived at the dealership. I

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
i don't know about the the original poster, but one of the first things i ask is about a spare. always have, but the salesman did tell me there was no spare. as for the doughnut, i just went to the local rim place, asked the guy if he had any stock challenger rims around, he had stacks of them, bought one for 100 bucks with the original rubber on it. looked brand new. don't care about the weight, i don't race anymore. i don't fill my trunk with crap. i bought a tire cover for a land rover discovery off of amazon, no logo fits great. found a great deal on a jack, wrench, etc. all in, maybe $300

·
Registered
44 Posts
i don't know about the the original poster, but one of the first things i ask is about a spare. always have, but the salesman did tell me there was no spare. as for the doughnut, i just went to the local rim place, asked the guy if he had any stock challenger rims around, he had stacks of them, bought one for 100 bucks with the original rubber on it. looked brand new. don't care about the weight, i don't race anymore. i don't fill my trunk with crap. i bought a tire cover for a land rover discovery off of amazon, no logo fits great. found a great deal on a jack, wrench, etc. all in, maybe $300
That was my original plan too. I kept one of the wheels from my last car when I replaced them, so I had a full size wheel as well as a donut for it. I didn't have much space in the trunk though, so the donut was in the spare well and I kept the full size wheel at home. I'm glad people on here told me about the Modern Spare though, it's awesome having a full size spare that also fits in the spare well. In the end I spent about $375 for the kit without the carrying case, still saved over $100 by doing that instead of getting the dodgy donut.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Might be where you live thing. At 6,400 miles my beloved Scat found its first nail, for me it is a thing that happens now and then. You'd think that a spare would help balance the car weight front to rear a tad, but perhaps that is not a thing. Haven't bought the spare kit yet because I'm still under warranty and I keep hoping to find a deal on used or a Black Friday thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts