Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the manuals for my wifes 13 Hemi Durango and my 14 Challenger RT. The 13 5.7s have a 30,000 mile interval and the 14s have a 100,000 interval. I've looked at both plugs, the only difference is that the 13 plug is platinum and the 14 plug is iridium. So my question is, can I use the iridium plugs for the 14 5.7s in my 13 5.7 and run them for the same interval as the 14 engine?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,555 Posts
I would go by the manual, 30k for the Challenger with the oem plug.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
^^^^^^^ Same here ^^^^^
Folks have tried using plugs other than what are listed in the manual and have had problems. You can't go wrong with service at recommended intervals. If they look good at 30k and you replace them, make a judgement call whether you want to go past 30k on the next set.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would go by the manual, 30k for the Challenger with the oem plug.
The manual for the 14 Challenger is a 100,000 mile interval. The part that O'Reilly's has the factory replacement for the 14 Challenger is also listed as an option for the 13 Durango, I bought those. I'm gonna put them in and check them at 30,000 miles. If they will last the 100,000 mile interval that's recommended for the 14's it will save me a good bit of money.

·
Administrator
53,555 Posts
The manual for the 14 Challenger is a 100,000 mile interval. The part that O'Reilly's has the factory replacement for the 14 Challenger is also listed as an option for the 13 Durango, I bought those. I'm gonna put them in and check them at 30,000 miles. If they will last the 100,000 mile interval that's recommended for the 14's it will save me a good bit of money.
Oops sorry I misread the info.They must have changed in model year 2014.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops sorry I misread the info.They must have changed in model year 2014.

Yeah, and from what I've seen the only change is that they went from a copper core in 13 to an iridium core in 14. I don't think it will do anything for but it will make then last longer.

·
Administrator
53,555 Posts
Yeah, and from what I've seen the only change is that they went from a copper core in 13 to an iridium core in 14. I don't think it will do anything for but it will make then last longer.
I think because they went to 2 plugs per cylinder for emission purposes they probably wanted people changing plugs more frequently so they were not paying for emission related repairs but found out the copper were holding up past the 30k mark and if they put in a longer lasting plug it would get them past the emission warranty period.That is a guess though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts