Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Our 2013 Rallye Redline V6 has performance suspension, steering and brakes. Along with 20" wheels, paddle shifters and the RT style console shifter.

Compared to the 2011 RT Classic we had the ride is stiffer, the steering more responsive and we didn't have paddle shifters that I can remember.

Agreed, the performance brakes appear to be those off an RT.

It has sport mode, but doesn't change the suspension. You need to have magnetic ride shocks for that and those are only on the SRT.

Now that we all hijacked this guy's thread....is it worth the $1k to retune it considering having to worry about possible warranty issues and pulling the ecm out each trip to the dealer, probably not. Wait until your warranty is up.

Maybe a Sprint Booster module is more fitting. It changes the throttle curve to give a more responsive feel. I'm not sold on it for a car that can be retuned without the ecm change, but maybe it's more for what you're looking for.

I've got the Diablo tuner from Hemifever, but haven't put the tune in yet.

Put the money into a Solo Performance exhaust. Gave ours a bit more Pep, according to my butt dyno, even without the tune.

The Mopar CAI will give you some growl from the motor under acceleration. We have one on ours and it sounds nice. Looks cool with the hood up at car shows.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has gone the route of a custom tuner on a 2015 SXT/SXT Plus?

Is there that much difference between the Sport Mode and a custom tune? Also, is the cost of getting a PCM and tuner worth any difference achieved?

While I hear how other tunes with older cars are worth it to "wake up" the engine, there doesn't seem to be too many gains, if any, in HP or 0-60 times from what I can tell. Driving in sport mode seems like it kinda does what the tuners should do, keeping it in the power band of RPMs. On top of all this is the cost difference: Free vs. around $900-1,000. Not to mention the trouble it takes to swap out the PCM any time you need an oil change/service at the Dealer (which I will do while it's under warranty). I understand if you want a "real" difference, get a SC or trade for a V-8 Hemi, but I'm trying to justify any gains vs. cost. Again, I'm not bashing the Tuner route, I'm just wondering if there is any real difference, and if so, is it worth $1K?
First off, on the 2015/2016 SXT, Sport Mode (as explained by others above) does NOT make your SXT faster. Neither does adding a CAI or aftermarket exhaust on the V6 though they make the SXT sound better. As I explained in my post above, a custom tune (like a Hemifever tune) will make a REAL difference and drop your 0-60 and 1/4 mile time by about half a second. That's a lot of time for 1K cost. For example, on faster cars like an R/T, Headers (cost around $500-$800), drop your times by around 1/4 second. Drag Radials (About 1K for wheels and tires) drops your time by about .15 seconds. True air breathing lower cold air intakes (like on a Corvette) cost around $400 and drop time by .10 seconds.

The biggest benefit of a custom tune for the 2015/2016 SXT V6 (about +15 HP, +20 TQ)) is the reduction of Torque Management in which the computer reduces torque when you stomp on the gas from a stop. This slows the car down. By tuning this out, your car goes faster from a dig with more torque being given. So yes, its THAT much difference!

Finally, your Dealer should not be messing with your PCM for an oil change! Unless you have an engine or tranny warranty issue, you can actually tell them not to hook up anything to your OBD port!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts