Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for other members. I have a 2016 Challenger RT automatic. I’m able to totally disable the traction control at start up by pressing and holding the TC button, question is, if once I turn on the Sport mode (Green Flag) does it revert back to sport mode on the traction control?

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
dont know about the '16, but on my '19 when i press sport mode, traction is off. i think the mode controls if traction is on or off. i think.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have a question for other members. I have a 2016 Challenger RT automatic. I’m able to totally disable the traction control at start up by pressing and holding the TC button, question is, if once I turn on the Sport mode (Green Flag) does it revert back to sport mode on the traction control?
I think it does. I would put it in Sport mode first, then press and hold the TC button to completely disable it.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
thanks danny boy. always wondered about that

Reactions: Dannyboy72

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think mine is a little different, I actually have to hold the traction control button in as I start the car and continue to hold until it actually says it’s completely off, at that point I can hit the sport button. Sport or Green flag won’t come on until car is running if I push prior to starting car I get nothing. Might work if I push and hold both at start up? I don’t have track mode😕

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My 2017 seems different.
In Sport mode it affects several things, transmission shift points, MDS, active exhaust, paddles, traction control, and steering. I can set up Sport mode to automatically activate each of these or not when pushing the sport button (except MDS, in Sport mode, it's off).
If I push traction control button at all (no long press needed) traction control is off and spinning the tires is out of control. Off, it is awful at the drags. For me, it is useless and only good for burnouts.

So basically Sport mode controls several things including Traction Control while Traction Control controls only Traction Control.

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
I would put it in Sport mode first, then press and hold the TC button to completely disable it.
Affirmative! (y)

Takes anywhere from 15 ~ 30 seconds to disable, just hold the button until electronic stability control disabled appears on the speedometer area. Make sure the steering wheel is straight forward or it won't disable.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Things have changed over the years. My 2010 used the 'Key Trick'. You would go to Sport Mode, move along at 15 MPH and turn your key (or push the start button) until you heard the chime and the Traction Control light turned off.
From what I believe, the TC was completely turned off and you had to be very careful not to lose control and the shifting 'rescue feature' was turned off and you could exceed redline quickly.
This was for the Automatics.
The 6spd's you could just turn off the TC by pressing and holding the button until you heard the chime.
Simply pushing the TC button on the Automatics reduced the TC but did not completely turn it off. This allowed the rescue feature to engage and shift at or just before redline.

Reactions: CALIRICAN2

·
Registered
232 Posts
Turning traction control off is the only way I've been able to achieve a reasonable 0-60 time but then I have the manual transmission. I think the rev limiter would save your engine in any event but then I really don't know for sure if traction control would apply wheel or engine braking.

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
69 Posts
I could be mistaken because I have not dealt with traction control in the mopar world that much.
However, I believe sport mode reduces the traction and stability control but does not completely turn it off. Holding the traction control button until you hear the chime completely disables the nannies. For most of you out there I do not recommend you do this.
The nannies are what is keeping most of you from killing yourselves in these cars.

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
You should be careful of the advise here unless you have that exact same year and engine. My car behaves much differently than other recommendations here.
TheBlasterMaster, has an excellent point not all the years respond the same, many advise here with good intent to help others, but you do need to compare the year of the car, to the advice as many things have changed over the years. And drastically changed in 2015 over the previous years as 2015 was when the first Hellcat model was released, and the body style changed, automatic transmission went to 8 speed, and probably had a lot to do with traction control changes as well. Ry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts