Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Anyone else having issues with a squealing or squeaking noise coming from they're car when breaking?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering????
Is anyone else having an issue with their brakes squealing? Pads are at 50% and rotors are fine. Found a few people on some .Gov site saying they're having an issue. But no one has a real solution to the problem. Please help extremely annoying and quite embarrassing really for such a beautiful machine to be doing....
Thank You in advance for any replies and or results.
Tina Monroig

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,741 Posts
Welcome from AZ. I did not answer the poll because there was no sometimes choice. Mine do it on first light application of brakes but quit as soon as the brakes are applied a little harder. I believe it is the nature of the pad compound or dust accumulation on the rotors. People have switched pads and it has fixed the issue.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
Hello from Strasburg, VA

Hello and Welcome to ChallengerForumZ from the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Enjoy your Ride and the Site! You'll find some knowledgeable and friendly people to answer your questions or just entertain you. Glad you could join us!

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,050 Posts
Welcome from Illinois!......I voted NO, because I did the same as jkelly16. Check out R1 Concepts, in the Supporting Vendor section of this Forum. Excellent products, good pricing and great customer service. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,554 Posts
Just wondering????
Is anyone else having an issue with their brakes squealing? Pads are at 50% and rotors are fine. Found a few people on some .Gov site saying they're having an issue. But no one has a real solution to the problem. Please help extremely annoying and quite embarrassing really for such a beautiful machine to be doing....
Tina Monroig
Occasionally with various cars including my Hellcat the brakes will develop a mild squeal generally when lightly braking.

What I found helps is to wash the brakes at a DIY car wash. No need to jam the wash wand nozzle tip right down in between the caliper and rotor but a good rinsing removes the build up of brake dust. When I do this the water runs black off the brake and wheel hardware. (Sure, some of the dust has collected on the wheel but not all of it comes from the wheel.)

What I think happens is the brake piston dust boots collect brake dust and this then interferes with the natural tendency of the piston to retract slightly when the brake pedal is released.

Normally the piston retracts slightly from the brake piston seal hysteresis.

If the piston and its pad doesn't retract the pad can stay in light contact with the rotor. The pad and rotor can develop a slight glaze that causes the squealing.

So a good rinsing followed by a drive in which the brakes are used enough to thoroughly dry them -- this includes the parking brake hardware at the rear wheels -- kind of a mini brake bedding in operation -- quiets the brake squealing.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,107 Posts
Occasionally with various cars including my Hellcat the brakes will develop a mild squeal generally when lightly braking.

What I found helps is to wash the brakes at a DIY car wash. No need to jam the wash wand nozzle tip right down in between the caliper and rotor but a good rinsing removes the build up of brake dust. When I do this the water runs black off the brake and wheel hardware. (Sure, some of the dust has collected on the wheel but not all of it comes from the wheel.)

What I think happens is the brake piston dust boots collect brake dust and this then interferes with the natural tendency of the piston to retract slightly when the brake pedal is released.

Normally the piston retracts slightly from the brake piston seal hysteresis.

If the piston and its pad doesn't retract the pad can stay in light contact with the rotor. The pad and rotor can develop a slight glaze that causes the squealing.

So a good rinsing followed by a drive in which the brakes are used enough to thoroughly dry them -- this includes the parking brake hardware at the rear wheels -- kind of a mini brake bedding in operation -- quiets the brake squealing.
It’s not a good idea to pressure wash hot rotors at a car wash.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Pennsylvania. I agree with all the above comments regarding brake squeal. I didn't answer the poll due to not having the option, SOMETIMES. As previously stated, there are brake pads on the market that will help eliminate the annoying squeal. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have 6 piston Brembo's on the front of mine and think these are the most troublesome, for me at least. Over the past year, I've experimented with 5 different pad manufacturers (I know, pretty anal) and have learned a few things. Pads designed for the street with a mixture of ceramic work pretty well with minimal dust and noise but terrible fade when worked hard, especially at the track. Track pads are more metallic and have good bite at the track but more dust and noise overall.

Many folks like the PowerStops but I was not so impressed, except for the low dust and squeal free performance. Not a good pad for panic stops when cold at highway speeds and of course at the track.

Hawks were excellent overall performers but really noisy on the front. I kept these on the rears and experimented more for the fronts.

EBC Redstuff's were a huge let down. For a pad manufacturer that claims a quiet and dust free pad, these failed in all accounts. Squealed like crazy and a surprising amount of dust created. Performed OK but eliminating dust and noise was a major goal.

I also replaced my rotor rings and pads with DBA (Disk Brakes Australia). Rotors are great and pads have excellent performance and customer service but front pads did squeal a little.

Lastly, I tried all ceramic, Disc Italia, pads on the front and they are relatively quiet and low dust but pretty bad fade at the track. For this summer, I'll most likely stick with these then switch out to the OE Brembo pads for track days. I haven't found a better overall pad than the Brembos except the excessive amount of dust. Looks like dust is a given if looking for a good track pad.

I haven't tried these but have had very positive review from friends with StopTech pads with street and track use but they have the 4 piston front and rear calipers.

I really wanted to test the Akebnono pads but they are not making them for 6 piston calipers so would love to hear from anyone using them on their 4 piston setups.

Above all, make sure the pads are properly bedded in per mfg'rs recommendations.

Keep in mind this is just my experience and know many others have had different results so take this review as you will :)

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Welcome , I to didn’t answer the poll as it’s my wife’s daily and does squeal a fair bit ( she is very gently gently on the brake ) . Two days with me driving and it’s back to normal, minimal squealing. I have a firmer foot .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering????
Tina Monroig
Im having the exact same issue, its been a min dealing with it for me. I took mine to the dealer theu said it was the rotors 550$ to repair so i went ahead and replaced the rotors instead, i went for R1 concept (slotted drilled rotors) and replaced brake pads as well, everything was good for about a week and the squeal came back. At this point im desperate for the squeal to go away anyting helps,
If u have pads recommendations or break cleaning products let me know.
and let me know if you fixed the issue on urs

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A member on here (maybe blickie not sure) says it’s the paint on the side of the actual pad material that causes it, seems Logical I’m sure he’ll post

1 - 16 of 16 Posts