Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SRT Boss Says The HEMI V8 Era Nearly Over

3K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  cdahl383 
#1 ·
America has formed an uneasy truce with high gas prices, with many of us trading in fuel-guzzling SUVs and muscle cars for low power, high MPG hybrids and compacts. America’s roads look a lot different from event just a decade ago, and automakers both domestic and imported are charting a variety of courses through a sea of emissions regulations and fuel economy mandates. Customers may still want V8 performance from their cars, but new technology may make the V8 obsolete.

Those aren’t just our words either. SRT Boss Ralph Gilles told CarAdvice.com.au that the era of the HEMI could be over by the end of the decade, and the replacement motor likely won’t be a naturally-aspirated V8. HEMI fans, you can feel sad now.

Gilles straight-up admits that the only reason the HEMI V8 line of engines has stayed in production is because customers still love and buy them. But by the end of the decade, Gille says the HEMI era is likely to be over, and SRT will have to look at a wider variety of options to make power beyond large-displacement V8s.

The most likely path for SRT to take is that of turbocharging smaller four or six-cylinder engines, though other options, like hybrid-electric or even turbodiesel engines have been providing surprising levels of performance for other automakers. That said, this writer thinks the SRT brand is still likely to offer a V8 engine in its lineup beyond 2020, so long as the efficiency of other Chrysler vehicles rises enough to offset the gas-guzzling nature.

Then again, Gilles probably knows the future better than we do, and it’s not like we haven’t seen this coming. Better enjoy it while it lasts.

~ Chris Demorro (MyClassicGarage.com)

See less See more
#3 ·
Still like the idea of a V-8 engine, I grew up with them. My wife has the V-6 in her 2012 Rubicon and my youngest has the 4.0 straight 6 in his 2006 Jeep. Both are good engines but my wife has had a few problems with her V-6. We have had no engine problems with the straight 6.

#6 ·
Does this or will it really surprise anyone WHEN this happens? I mean really, we are VERY fortunate in this day and age to have the modern day muscle car selection with v8's that we do IMO. It really shocks me that we actually have available right now today, a Challenger, Camaro and Mustang ALL three with high HP v8's. Ten years ago I would have bet everything I owned that only one of them would have existed and that it would only would have had a stout v6 at best!

Between big brother and the environmentalist whack job SOBs, we the muscle car lovers/consumers, our days are numbered as far as high hp v8's are concerned. The fact that we got them back once was a stroke of luck in my opinion! Once they go away the next time, they aint comin back....

#7 ·
If you had told me back in the 80's that one day we would be able to purchase 400 plus horsepower Hemi V8 cars again and that they would be available in a new Challenger, I most likely wouldn't have believed it. We are very fortunate that we are enjoying another run of V8 muscle cars that are better than ever.

However, the possible end of the V8 muscle car is brought on more by politics that through the force of the CAFE requirements will reduce (or possibly eliminate) V8 powered vehicles. As we all know things in the political arena can change, so I like to think there is always a chance that someone in the next administration might back off a bit on the CAFE requirements and allow the people to decide what vehicles they want to purchase. I'm not counting on that though, so we should all enjoy our good fortune while we can.

Reactions: bad8nti
#8 ·
If you had told me back in the 80's that one day we would be able to purchase 400 plus horsepower Hemi V8 cars again and that they would be available in a new Challenger, I most likely wouldn't have believed it. We are very fortunate that we are enjoying another run of V8 muscle cars that are better than ever.

However, the possible end of the V8 muscle car is brought on more by politics that through the force of the CAFE requirements will reduce (or possibly eliminate) V8 powered vehicles. As we all know things in the political arena can change, so I like to think there is always a chance that someone in the next administration might back off a bit on the CAFE requirements and allow the people to decide what vehicles they want to purchase. I'm not counting on that though, so we should all enjoy our good fortune while we can.
Well said! :wavey:

#10 ·

Well said. :smileup:I remember reading an article back in 2008 that spoke of CAFE requirements and that they would surely put an end to the production of V8 engines. The article basically said...if you want a high output V8 ..get one while you can. Needless to say... I followed their advice.

#11 ·

Good way to put it, Jon! :rep:

#12 ·
If that decision comes about, it will make Hemi Challengers near instant classics, IMO. Hang on to those V8 beasties, we could be headed for another small engine ice-age! :SHOCKED:
Which made me immediately think would someone really trade in a car with an engine they aren't making anymore? Would you trade your V8 Hemi for a smaller turbo'ed 4 or 6 cylinder? But then I started thinking... who knows what gas will cost in 2020, could be awful. And on the opposite side of that, who knows what Dodge will come up with, they might have something amazing in store! Who knows :4-dontknow:

#14 ·
Things continue to change and that is just the way it is. Some manufactures may stop building production Hemi/V8 cars as a whole but they will continue to be around either as a crate motor, restored classic, or a small volume of released models. Just like a winter with an unusual amount of snow fall we will adapt and deal with it.

#15 · (Edited)
My best friend who lives here in the little town I live in, he turned 69 this month and owns 16 classic cars. All of them v8s except two. He own 8 classic Pontiacs, in fact if any of you are into Pontiacs and read High Performance Pontiac his car is featured in this month's issue (68 GTO original owner w/25k orig miles). Anyway, the other 8 are classic Vettes and ALL 16 are stick cars! All but one is driven as it only has 212 miles. He does not even own a new, modern car. His daily driver is a 62 Pontiac Catalina wagon 389, tri power, 8-lug wheels, 4-speed car! All FACTORY stock! LOL

The two 6cyl cars are a Pontiac Fiero (88 GT that he is rebuilding for my Son who does not know about it) and a 54 Vette.

Anyway, this guy will never buy a new car and supports the oil industry more than most of us. He has no kids and loves his cars as much or more than any of us do ours!

Guys like him couldnt care less what the industry does, he will ALWAYS have a muscle car until the day he dies! I love the guy, he is an awesome man!

#16 ·
This happened in the late 70's...American Muscle was dwindling before our very eyes. Gas prices and gas shortages sent all of the Automotive Engineers scrambling. American's lived with this downsizing for decades, but demand for the retro V8 gave GM, Ford and Chrysler new life in the 90's. History has a way of repeating itself.

#17 · (Edited)
Pulling the mighty v8 from the brink of obsolescence once is one thing, a second or third time might be short of a miracle. There has to be a customer base and IMO most, not all, younger kids today are happy with the higher hp v6/new tech etc. I think the customer base "us" is dwindling each decade so to speak and will only continue to do so over time. Just a guess on my part...

#18 ·
MOPAR was last to build Hi HP engines in 1971 for sale to the public. Those of us around at that time were greatly disappointed. I thought I'd never be able again to purchase a HiPo V8 or a HEMI. It took Dodge until 2006 to come up with the Hemi Challenger concept and two more years before it hit the streets. If my math is right, that's 34 years for us MOPAR fans. I cant afford to wait another 34 I'll be dust by then.

Folks, be grateful we had a second chance to own our dream cars. Not to mention HEMIs that are more efficient and produce more HP per cubic inch then they did in the mid 60s to early 70s, and to top that ours are faster.

We have instant classics if what Gilles says comes to fruition.

Reactions: bad8nti
#19 ·

My thoughts also, great post.

#20 ·
MOPAR was last to build Hi HP engines in 1971 for sale to the public. Those of us around at that time were greatly disappointed. I thought I'd never be able again to purchase a HiPo V8 or a HEMI. It took Dodge until 2006 to come up with the Hemi Challenger concept and two more years before it hit the streets. If my math is right, that's 34 years for us MOPAR fans. I cant afford to wait another 34 I'll be dust by then.

Folks, be grateful we had a second chance to own our dream cars. Not to mention HEMIs that are more efficient and produce more HP per cubic inch then they did in the mid 60s to early 70s, and to top that ours are faster.

We have instant classics if what Gilles says comes to fruition.
Well Said, Wayne! :rep:

#21 ·
It kinda makes sense to me. After all the people who love V8 cars come from a heritage of driving them in the 60's and 70's.

Once our generation has passed through I can't see the kids from the 80's forward having the same interest in muscle cars that we do. The economy hasn't treated them that well and I think they can't afford these cars and would rather drive economy cars or take transit.

I think Gilles sees the writing on the wall.

Enjoy we may be the last enthusiast's.

#22 ·
It kinda makes sense to me. After all the people who love V8 cars come from a heritage of driving them in the 60's and 70's.

Once our generation has passed through I can't see the kids from the 80's forward having the same interest in muscle cars that we do. The economy hasn't treated them that well and I think they can't afford these cars and would rather drive economy cars or take transit.

I think Gilles sees the writing on the wall.

Enjoy we may be the last enthusiast's.
You hit on something that I think about a lot. I grew up in the muscle car era. The people in this age group are mostly retired or retiring. They still like to go to car shows, buy classic cars and maybe tinker on them as a hobby. When we are gone, will there still be the car shows and Mecum Auctions like the one on the CBS sports channel tonight?

#23 ·
Very true, the twenty somethings today don't care for the same cars we do, they didn't grow up driving SS396 Chevelle's, Mach 1 Mustangs and big block Road Runners, they don't know these cars and frankly they do not care. They know Acura, Honda, Nissan and the like.
I am with you, I grew up driving the best of 70's muscle and I suffered thru 145 hp 350 V8's and mustangs with 90 hp 4 cylinders from 1973-the mid 80's when muscle began to slowly return, we are blessed.
As the baby boomer muscle car enthusiast leaves the sport, surely the V8-V10 wont matter to this new generation, they are fine with small engines fed by big boost and nitrous.

#24 ·
Does anyone here remember the interest in Model T Fords, in the early 1980s? A restored version sold for $40K+, now its tough to find a buyer at $10K. My point is those most interested in the cars have passed on.

Contrast this to...

I recall vividly pulling into a 7 Eleven in 1979 with my 440 6 pack Challenger. While walking into the store a group of high school kids commented, "That car must use a lot of gas, why drive that"? What do you think those teens are driving today?

The number of muscle cars manufactured today far exceeds those built in the 70s. These cars may wind up in demolition derby's.

Who knows what the future holds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.