Standard operating temp for 6.1L HEMI?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by CrystalSRT8, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:11 PM.

1. CrystalSRT8

CrystalSRT8 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger SRT8
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I have a 2008 SRT8...my running temp after the thermostat opens is usually 3-5 degrees lower than the midpoint of 215. After I have been driving maybe 20-30 minutes or so (both stop and go and highway) the temp might sit on the midpoint or 2 or so degrees past that, then come back down and then up again. Is this ok? This happens whether I run the ac or not. There seems to be not much difference when the ambient temp is high or more moderate. Granted, I have had the car only a month, and the weather here in NC has been hot and oppressively humid. My car has a shaker hood and side exhausts. I have heard that HEMIs run kind of hot, but I am paranoid about overheating. Is the running temp and the variations I described a normal thing? Should I get it checked out? Thanks!

2. jkelly16

jkelly16 The Semi-Bearded Wonder........ Administrator Moderator Forum Founder Site Supporter Level 4 MOTY Winner! MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Factory thermostat is 203 degrees and the low fans are set to come on at 217 and high fans at 226 I believe. Going by the gauge the needle is a tick below the midpoint normally. I would not worry if it hits midpoint or a tick above. These thing do generate a lot of heat when you are at highway speeds, more than one would think.

CrystalSRT8 likes this.
  3. bad8nti

bad8nti What's Old is New Again!! Administrator Moderator MOTY Winner! Photo Winner! MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Crystal, it sounds like your temperature is running normal and the fans and thermostat are operating correctly. Do you know when the coolant was changed? It is very important that the coolant be changed every 3 to 5 years(3 is better) due to the breakdown of the components in the coolant becoming corrosive. If you don't know when, then the best thing to do is get it changed. A 180 degree thermostat will help you and if you have a tuner, you can adjust the fans to help. There is a thread on that here on the forum if you are interested. Make sure that your coolant is 50/50 as more coolant than that will actually deter heat transfer. A water wetter will also help heat transfer properties.

4. cdahl383

cdahl383 Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I would think between 200-220 would be the norm depending on when the fans kick on, how hot it is outside, and if you just got on it or not, etc. The stock thermostat is a 203 I believe. They run a bit hotter than old school engines did with 180 or 195 thermostats due to emissions.

CrystalSRT8 likes this.
  5. CrystalSRT8

CrystalSRT8 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger SRT8
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Thanks for the info! When I bought the car a month ago, it had only 29k miles on it, but I do not know when it was last serviced. A few weeks ago, it was starting hard when the engine was hot. I took it in, and the problem was fixed by replacing the battery and cables. While I had it there, I asked the mechanics about changing the stock stat to a 180 degree one. (I had been reading some forum posts pro/con about changing the stat out...some thought that a stat that opened at 180 might prevent enough coolant from circulating before higher engine temps are reached, etc. and so forth.) Anyway, the shop advised against it due to emissions concerns. (I did tell them they would have to tune the fans--they may have just not wanted to mess with it.) I am still considering changing out the stat, but I will definitely get the coolant changed, and use a 50/50 mix.

6. bad8nti

bad8nti What's Old is New Again!! Administrator Moderator MOTY Winner! Photo Winner! MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Make sure you use the proper coolant. Mopar long life HOAT(Orange) or Zerex G5(meets HOAT specs).

CrystalSRT8 likes this.