Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Starting Trouble

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Garfield411 
#1 ·
2013 Challenger R/T. Push start. The problem first started out to be when I would push start button the car would just keep cranking and not firing. It does not do it all the the time maybe once or twice a month. Now sometimes I push start button and only cranks a couple times but does not fire. I also noticed the car is idling at about 550 rpms. I thought it was the battery possibly but had it tested and it is in good condition. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Have you taken it to the dealer, it should be under warranty unless you are over 36,000 miles.

#3 ·
There could be a multiple of problems causing this. Your idle should be 700 - 750 so a lower idle could be a vacuum leak somewhere. Failing to start could be a failing crank sensor. You should have the dealer run a diagnostic because hit and miss problems are hard to catch.

#5 ·
Car has 30, 500 miles. I took the push start out and used the fob and the idle seems to have gone up to 700 and the starting issue is random so no trouble there. What is the issue with the push start and idle being associated? And will this solve starting trouble. I may take into dealer before warranty is up.

#7 ·
This may help. I have a Durango with the 5.7 Hemi and it's the same engine that is in my Challenger R/T and not the truck 5.7. I had the same issue starting the Durango, but the problem got to the point where I would push the start button and it would crank and not start. Once I got it started, it would be no problem starting it the rest of the day. It happened when it was cool to cold out side and the gas mileage and performance went down. Even thought it was the battery and changed it to be sure and it was not the problem. Took it to the dealer and it was the fuel pump module relay.

Reactions: jklotz10
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.