Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the center caps on my wheels today with a product called Staticaps. While I initially was drawn to this product because the black caps with red R/T lettering matched my Challengers paint scheme. I also like the idea that while the wheel rolls, the Staticaps do not, hence the name. The aspect on my center caps will always be rightside up.

First I had to remove each wheel to knock out the existing OEM caps. This gave me the opportunity to try out my new TruFlate electric jack. When I moved last December into my current residence, I had way too much garage stuff and I had to lose some of my larger items, including my floor jack from Harbor Freight. I bought the TruFlate after watching the product in action and was impressed with it's stability and power. The jack plugs into one of the Challenger's power adapters and the cross cut head notches perfectly into the Challenger's jacking pinch welds. See my video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvPhfQeGTQE

To knock out the center caps, I bought a rubber mallet and a hubcap tool with a large rubber knob that looked perfectly sized to the diameter of my OEM center caps.

I draped an old towel over a 5 gallon bucket so I could rest my wheel face down while I punched out the OEM caps. The towel was to protect the clearcoat on the face of my wheels, but I also hammocked it a little to catch the OEM caps as they goit punched out. BTW, in the ensuing photos, my wheels look like they really need a polishing. That's because they really do need a polishing. That job comes up next ;)

I thought the hubcap tool was a good idea, but the crowbar portion prevented the rubber knob from laying flat inside the cap. So I turned the tool around and fitted a rubber glove over the handle and tapped on the rubber knob with my rubber mallet. Worked effectively well!

Next came the installation of the Staticaps. Nothing to it really, slight pressure from the palm of my hand and the caps popped in and locked into the center hole. Just one caution, unlike other custom caps from B/T, these do not secure with screws. I may jury-rig something together later on to secure these caps to the wheels, but someone with a trim tool and a little patience can remove the Staticaps as easily as they could the OEM caps.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Great write-up and video of this product. Reps to you!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,112 Posts
John, As usual you never disappoint! I really like both the jack and the R/T caps!! Great videos. BTW, that is one clean garage floor. Do you do floors for people too? I could only dream about a garage like that!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Love the caps! Would consider if I intended to keep factory wheels! I have aftermarket I took off car to use the tires on factory wheels because I couldn't get anything from them with new tires on them. LOL I just couldn't give them away! Looks like its going to be a while though!:shakehead:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look real good, nice job! :smileup:
Nice show and tell ! They look good. :smileup:
Great write-up and video of this product. Reps to you!
Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback!

John, As usual you never disappoint! I really like both the jack and the R/T caps!! Great videos. BTW, that is one clean garage floor. Do you do floors for people too? I could only dream about a garage like that!
Thanks Betty! LOL, no on the floors. My roommate/landlord had the garage floor sealed (one reason why I decided to rent a room from him!) Notice how I took precautions to protect that nice floor?

Love the caps! Would consider if I intended to keep factory wheels! I have aftermarket I took off car to use the tires on factory wheels because I couldn't get anything from them with new tires on them. LOL I just couldn't give them away! Looks like its going to be a while though! :shakehead:
Thanks HG! Keep at it, there's always someone who wants to upgrade their wheels!

Where did you get these? They'd really look great on my black 20s with red pinstripe.
eBay. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281277912507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649). The caps run $99 for the set, but shipping is free. Just an FYI - The seller ships from Jordan, but he ships DHL so my shipment only took a week.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,735 Posts
First I had to remove each wheel to knock out the existing OEM caps. This gave me the opportunity to try out my new TruFlate electric jack.
Is there more than one model of this? Looks interesting. Will it lift the car high enough to get a jack stand underneath?

Reactions: bad8nti

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there more than one model of this? Looks interesting. Will it lift the car high enough to get a jack stand underneath?
I don't know if there is more than one model. The Tru Flate is manufactured by Plews-Edelman, but if you go to their website, it's difficult to find any information on the Tru Flate. I bought mine from Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com), but they only offer the model I show in my video.

It will raise your Challenger high enough to place jack stands underneath. In my video, the Tru Flate is not fully extended

Here's the ad-copy from Camping World:

Unique electric/hydraulic jack provides 2,200 lbs. of lifting force.
It has a lifting height of 5 3/4" – 13 3/4" in only a few seconds. Use it on any of the 4 corners of the car, thanks to the 13 1/2’ cord which plugs into vehicle cigarette lighter. This jack offers easy, stand back operation with a simple up/down operating switch with power indicator. A blow molded storage and carry case is included.

I'm happy enough with it that I'm thinking of buying a 2nd one to keep in my Jeep, although I will probably have to block it up with a piece of 4"x4".

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
BTW! On the static caps, have you had anyone ride beside you and see if even with the faster turning tire the cap is staying level or does it turn at faster revolutions. That would look cool if it stays level. Kind of a mind freak.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW! On the static caps, have you had anyone ride beside you and see if even with the faster turning tire the cap is staying level or does it turn at faster revolutions. That would look cool if it stays level. Kind of a mind freak.
They stay level at all speeds, but I really doubt that anyone would actually pay attention to them long enough to notice that they are staying level, and even if they did, they probably wouldn't think much of it. What I really like about the caps is the color (red RT on a black background) and I would have bought them had they not been static. But it is kinda cool that my R/T emblems will always be upright when I come to a stop or park the car.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,735 Posts
I don't know if there is more than one model. The Tru Flate is manufactured by Plews-Edelman, but if you go to their website, it's difficult to find any information on the Tru Flate. I bought mine from Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com), but they only offer the model I show in my video.

It will raise your Challenger high enough to place jack stands underneath. In my video, the Tru Flate is not fully extended
Cool....thanks for the info. Might have to look into picking one up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm going to have to get these in the future!! Wonder will they fit any aftermarket wheels, like the vipers

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Just saw this John! Great idea and they look cool! Very subtle but a big impact. Great job on the write-up and DIY!

Do you have the R/T Stem Caps????

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,112 Posts
I forgot to post this earlier, but here are the HEMI valve stem caps. They are not corrosive, so safe to use. I like the R/T ones so may have to get another set!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.