Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392 Destroyer Gray
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody done it? I've got these spots all over my windshield that only show up when it's wet and it's driving me crazy. I've tried scrubbing it with stoners invisible glass and it didn't even touch it.

They are small (dime sized) spots, some bigger and some smaller, of unknown origin, glass is crystal clear until it gets wet or fogs up at night, then they cover the whole windshield. No other windows either which is weird.

I was reading and I saw to use 0000 steel wool but I'm weary. I used a razor blade on my last car and there was a few small spots that it looked like it I took off some sort of coating on the windshield.

Is there any factory applied coating on the windshield? Is steel wool safe to use?

I also read to try white vinegar, 50/50 with water. I don't see that working though, like I said the stoners product has been great for me on my last car but it didn't touch these. They went away as I scrubbed, but when I wet the glass again they were still there.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,370 Posts
I use the 0000 steel wool on the outside windshield with a foaming glass cleaner, never tried on the inside although it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
YESSSS!!! Been using it for years......plain steel wool works wonders on glass!!

·
Administrator
57,370 Posts
Thanks, I feel better about trying it.

Just use light circular motions or can you add some muscle to it?
Typically I use back and forth light pressure be sure to keep it away from painted surfaces.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Thanks, I feel better about trying it.

Just use light circular motions or can you add some muscle to it?
You can give it a little rub......you'll be surprised at all the crap it takes off your windshield.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What cleaners are y'all using with the steel wool, or are you doing it dry and then using the cleaner after?

·
Administrator
57,370 Posts
What cleaners are y'all using with the steel wool, or are you doing it dry and then using the cleaner after?
Do not do it dry, use a foaming glass cleaner, Zep, Sprayaway, etc.

Reactions: TITANIUM

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Possibly the previous owner used some type of glass wax; such as RainX? That happened to me on a car I purchased and I used Rubbing alcohol to cut through it.
Also, make sure you only use towels that have never been used with Instant Detailer, wax, or polish. Even if washed, those clothes retain that wax.
Let us know how you solve the problem!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same issue. I'll definitely try this out. It's a pain in the morning with all the dew...Also I live somewhere with nearly constant 100% humidity. My car basically swims all day.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possibly the previous owner used some type of glass wax; such as RainX? That happened to me on a car I purchased and I used Rubbing alcohol to cut through it.
Also, make sure you only use towels that have never been used with Instant Detailer, wax, or polish. Even if washed, those clothes retain that wax.
Let us know how you solve the problem!
Bought it new, no previous owner.

I just went and got some 0000 steel wool and some Windex foaming cleaner (only foaming cleaner I could find). I'm washing/detailing tomorrow, I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the same issue. I'll definitely try this out. It's a pain in the morning with all the dew...Also I live somewhere with nearly constant 100% humidity. My car basically swims all day.
Same here, it's usually about high 80 to 90% here. I leave work at midnight or later and it's ridiculous trying to see for the first 10 mins or so, even with defrost on. Heat defrost works but not an option when it's 80 some degrees outside, lol.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,804 Posts
Steel wool? No way!

I'll never use that on my windshield?

I accidentally discovered what works to clean a grime built up windshield and that is Turtle Wax Chrome Polish, it will cut the crud off, and polish the glass in the same application.

It will also clean up the yellow discolored plastic headlight lenses to a state of brand new look in 1 ~ 3 applications depending on how bad they are.

Oh it cleans Chrome as it's advertised to do as well.

·
More Than Just A Car
20,589 Posts
If you plan to clay bar your car or the next time you clay your car hit the windshield with it to.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you plan to clay bar your car or the next time you clay your car hit the windshield with it to.
I thought about that and was reading you should only clay bar a windshield if it's literally brand new. Any tiny little knicks will grab the clay and it's impossible to get out. While mine is new, it has been driven on the highway. I don't see any knicks or rock chips, but that doesn't mean there isn't any. I don't want to find out the hard way. There might not be any truth to it, but I'm not familiar enough with it to try it. The hazard might be exaggerated, I just don't know.

Out of curiosity, how many folks here have used a clay bar on their windshield?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, that did nothing. There's actually an area that it looks like it scratched the glass a little. Don't know if it was there before, don't know how it would be since it was new. Very hard to see, I only noticed it because I was tweaking my neck looking at different angles.

Now what?

Side note, I'd seriously like to meet the idiot that designed the trunk to hold 43 gallons of water in the lid that pours all over when you open the trunk after washing/drying the car. I'd like to gently kick that person in the shin with my steel toe boots on.

Anyways, next option? Is there something more abrasive than the steel wool yet still safe for the glass? I'm kinda thinking the fine scratches were already there since it was only in one small spot where an oil change sticker would go, but on the outside, I didn't really scrub right there. I used about the same pressure/technique as you would using a clay bar.

Maybe I didn't use enough pressure?

·
Administrator
57,370 Posts
Well, that did nothing. There's actually an area that it looks like it scratched the glass a little. Don't know if it was there before, don't know how it would be since it was new. Very hard to see, I only noticed it because I was tweaking my neck looking at different angles.

Now what?

Side note, I'd seriously like to meet the idiot that designed the trunk to hold 43 gallons of water in the lid that pours all over when you open the trunk after washing/drying the car. I'd like to gently kick that person in the shin with my steel toe boots on.

Anyways, next option? Is there something more abrasive than the steel wool yet still safe for the glass? I'm kinda thinking the fine scratches were already there since it was only in one small spot where an oil change sticker would go, but on the outside, I didn't really scrub right there. I used about the same pressure/technique as you would using a clay bar.

Maybe I didn't use enough pressure?
Sounds like you did it right, and no it did not scratch the glass. Maybe a defect in the glass?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts