Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 2016 Dodge Challenger SXT here, lately my steering feels off. At highway speeds, the steering feels tight when I try to change lanes. But when I go to center the steering wheel, or make a small adjustment, there feels like there is no reaction and suddenly the steering wheel jerks in the direction I'm going. Your help and feedback is greatly appreciated guys!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
50,605 Posts
Probably should Check the fluid level.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably should Check the fluid level.
LOL if it was that simple I wouldn't be asking for help. A mechanic mentioned something about a power steering computer or something along those lines... Not the power steering pump. Said it's a Dodge only part.

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
First thing you got to do... Find out if you have hydraulic power steering or electric power steering. Look for a pump mounted to the engine and belt driven. BOTH types can be used depending on trim and options level.
Here are the parts if you have electric steering.
here are the parts if you have hydraulic steering.
Both of these parts lists are for the 2016 SXT.

-John

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
500 Posts
.. did you lower this car? could have bump steer issues as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
2016 will have an electric pump built into the rack. Not serviceable.
Did the mechanic check for codes?
Did he check the rest of the steering system?
Codes would show an issue out of the rack. If no codes, doubt its the rack. Theres inner and outer tie rods and a rag joint at the steering coupler. Could be worn out in any of those spots and give you play.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2016 will have an electric pump built into the rack. Not serviceable.
Did the mechanic check for codes?
Did he check the rest of the steering system?
Codes would show an issue out of the rack. If no codes, doubt its the rack. Theres inner and outer tie rods and a rag joint at the steering coupler. Could be worn out in any of those spots and give you play.
Tie rod ends are good. The right outer tie rod end is just a tad bit loose. Mechanic said it's nothing that would cause the issue I'm having. I didn't have him run any codes as it was just a brief visit to a friend of mine. I have an appointment with Dodge this Friday. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Powersteering pump just went out in my 2011 23rd of Aug cost almost 1k to replace it. Electric actually got the OEM cheaper then Rebuilt Remanf were going for.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts