Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having any front end or steering issues? I’m fighting to keep the car in the lane, the steering will is actually fighting me. The dealer says I have bad clutch plates in my rear diff. The car only has 9400 miles. Can anyone shine any light? They want to replace my rear.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,222 Posts
Sounds more like an alignment issue or a bad tire. But I suppose it could be what they say, certainly have not heard of that issue.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would say it sounds like an alignment issue, if there is another dealer in your area i would have them check it and get a second opinion, do you have any noise from the rear end, sounds like they are saying the LSD has failed, i would imagine if that's the case then you will have some sort of noise

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Is anyone having any front end or steering issues? I’m fighting to keep the car in the lane, the steering will is actually fighting me. The dealer says I have bad clutch plates in my rear diff. The car only has 9400 miles. Can anyone shine any light? They want to replace my rear.
If dealer says bad clutch plates in rear diff and the dealer want to replace the rear why are you seeking advice contrary to that?

Get the car in and get the diff replaced. ASAP.

As soon as you get the car back road test the car to confirm the behavior is gone.

If the behavior is not gone, is still present, then it is something else and that's a new thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. The dealer did an alignment and tire rotation the first time I brought it in but the issue didn’t go away. The second time, they said they found a software update for the electronic power steering and that should correct it. Now the third time they say it’s the rear. I don’t hear any noises anywhere. I don’t want them to fix it by process of elimination. I’ve got better things to do with my time. I really don’t think think they know what’s wrong. Unfortunately, they mechanics at the dealerships are the same wherever you go. They just don’t pay those guys enough for them to really give a crap, especially on warranty work.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,222 Posts
Just a thought, what is the tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I would take it to another tire or front end alignment shop. You can have it checked out and get a second opinion.

My 2016 RT Plus Shaker had 16000 miles on it and I had to replace the front control arms at Les Schwab as the dealer has no way to align the front end. It is not adjustable.

It was diving into the grooves on the road every time I changed lanes.

Also when I tried to get the dealer to warranty it, they threw me under the bus, and said it was normal wear and tear, so Mopar wouldn't fix it. Even though they admitted it had to have been that way since it had about 8000 miles on it, as it had destroyed the front tires.

It ended up costing me about $1000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the info. Your issue sounds pretty similar. I’m going to try to have it looked at by someone else before I let the dealer replace the rear. It’s a 2019 with 9400 miles on it, I just can’t see it being the rear although anything’s possible. I’ll post up the outcome in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. The dealer did an alignment and tire rotation the first time I brought it in but the issue didn’t go away. The second time, they said they found a software update for the electronic power steering and that should correct it. Now the third time they say it’s the rear. I don’t hear any noises anywhere. I don’t want them to fix it by process of elimination. I’ve got better things to do with my time. I really don’t think think they know what’s wrong. Unfortunately, they mechanics at the dealerships are the same wherever you go. They just don’t pay those guys enough for them to really give a crap, especially on warranty work.
Did you get a printout of the alignment? The before and after? No Dodge alignment experience but with other cars every time I failed to get this printout the alignment was crap.

If the diff is acting up this can result in torque being fed to only one of the rear wheels. This can certainly account for the tendency of the car to want to veer off.

But the car will want to veer off only while the throttle is being applied. If you release the throttle I would expect the behavior to go away.

If it does not that suggests an alignment problem. Another clue can be tire wear. If you run your hands over the tread of each tire and feel feathering, or the larger tread blocks wearing convex (or possibly concave), or show signs of some roughness, this is another sign the alignment may be off. With another car the front tires showed some feathering signs, roughness sign, after less than 500 miles of driving. With 9400 miles... With a bad alignment I've worn out rear tires in less miles.

Up to you if you want to return to that dealer or try another dealer, get a second opinion, so to speak.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey thanks for the info. Your issue sounds pretty similar. I’m going to try to have it looked at by someone else before I let the dealer replace the rear. It’s a 2019 with 9400 miles on it, I just can’t see it being the rear although anything’s possible. I’ll post up the outcome in a few weeks.
Hi TzWBScat,
I am sorry to hear that you have these concerns with your Challenger. Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do you mean it is following the contour of the road? I had that issue real bad in my 1980 Firebird Formula, a little in my 1987 IROC-Z and notice it a bit with my 2019 Widebody Scatpack. I thought it had to do with the wide front tires.

·
Premium Member
9,032 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here but if the clutches are bad in the rear end wouldn't that essentially make it an open rear end just like most cars have???.....and at that mileage.... I'm having a hard time buying this dealers findings. Take this car to a five star front end shop for a second opinion or do the dealership thing and hope for the best....JMO

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here but if the clutches are bad in the rear end wouldn't that essentially make it an open rear end just like most cars have???.....and at that mileage.... I'm having a hard time buying this dealers findings. Take this car to a five star front end shop for a second opinion or do the dealership thing and hope for the best....JMO
A LSD is just like any other diff when the vehicle is going straight. But in a turn the LSD mechanism can become active to transfer torque to the inside wheel/tire.

While it may not be apparent even driving down a straight road can involve "turns" as one has to adjust the steering wheel to keep the car straight.

However, I can't believe the LSD mechanism is that sensitive that it would activate under these conditions.

So I am less in favor the diff being the problem and leaning towards there being an alignment problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an update. I did not allow the dealer to replace the rear diff. I took the car to another shop and had the alignment re-done. All four wheels were way the hell off! The right rear was extremely towed in and the left rear was towed out (all four were in the red). Anyway, since this was a friend of mine working out of another dealership but a Mopar man, he was able to update my software controlling the electric power steering and then flashed the pcm after the updates. So far, I'm still getting knocked around when changing lanes but, that may be because the rear tires are not worn correctly. I'm not feeling that intermittent pulling and tugging on the wheel while driving straight. Fingers crossed, the issue was corrected. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have an update. I did not allow the dealer to replace the rear diff. I took the car to another shop and had the alignment re-done. All four wheels were way the hell off! The right rear was extremely towed in and the left rear was towed out (all four were in the red). Anyway, since this was a friend of mine working out of another dealership but a Mopar man, he was able to update my software controlling the electric power steering and then flashed the pcm after the updates. So far, I'm still getting knocked around when changing lanes but, that may be because the rear tires are not worn correctly. I'm not feeling that intermittent pulling and tugging on the wheel while driving straight. Fingers crossed, the issue was corrected. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the update. Reads like alignment was the issue.

Just a heads up but what I've been told by techs is if the alignment is off and the tires have some miles on them running misaligned the alignment -- on the oddly worn tires -- may not be quite as good as it would be if the alignment was done with new tires fitted.

But my experience is even with tires that were worn due to misalignment after a few hundred miles to adapt to the different but correct alignment the car manifested no signs of an alignment issues and tire life was the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this problem from about 6-7K miles on my 2019 widebody. Currently have just shy of 15K. I've taken it to 3 different dealerships. I'm actually the inventory manager for the dealership I bought the car at! First was said to be the alignment which was severely off from the factory. Since then I've been told it's just because it has wide tires which is cute since my truck also has wide tires and doesn't try to take over the steering! I do hear a whine in the rear if I have the radio off and pay attention, especially when cornering. I had one tech tell me that it could be rear diff but no one stepping up volunteering to replace it or I would have already had it done. I'd be very interested to know if you get the problem resolved!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
At 16000 miles I had to have the front upper control arms replaced because it was so far out of alignment it could not be corrected. Every time I changed lanes it would dive almost off the road coming off the crown. The dealership said it was normal wear and tear and refused to fix it. I was told by Mopar the alignment is not a problem in these cars. They just have an aggressive stance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That is a common issue with wide tires, I had it bad on my Firebird. Your alignment may be fine, if it is I switch to custom mode and set the steering to track mode. It helps a lot but will still be there a bit. Your changing lanes slowly then it is like someone pushes you. yup, I think they call that "tramlining".

What causes Tramlining?
Tires have the most direct influence on tramlining because they are the part of the vehicle that comes into contact with the road (and the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves that exist there). Unfortunately anything that increases a high performance tire's responsiveness also increases its willingness to tramline.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've had this problem from about 6-7K miles on my 2019 widebody. Currently have just shy of 15K. I've taken it to 3 different dealerships. I'm actually the inventory manager for the dealership I bought the car at! First was said to be the alignment which was severely off from the factory. Since then I've been told it's just because it has wide tires which is cute since my truck also has wide tires and doesn't try to take over the steering! I do hear a whine in the rear if I have the radio off and pay attention, especially when cornering. I had one tech tell me that it could be rear diff but no one stepping up volunteering to replace it or I would have already had it done. I'd be very interested to know if you get the problem resolved!
Truck tires are generally stiffer tires than passenger car tires and have harder tread compounds than the high performance tires such as come with your WB. As a result truck tires can be less prone to tramlining and being affected by irregular road surfaces.

Tramlining can be a real problem. Even after over 200K miles and years with one of my cars -- which came with wide and soft/sticky high performance tires -- every once in a while the car felt so weird I'd pull off the freeway to check tire pressures. (This before TPMS.) Every time it was a false alarm but it just indicates how bad this behavior can be.

Even now with my Hellcat every once in a while I encounter road surface conditions which make the car feel weird and cause me to suspect a low tire. Fortunately with the Hellcat I can bring up the TPMS tire pressure display. All is fine. Just the damn wide tires and the goofy road surfaces.

Note it has been my experience as high performance tires wear and as they get harder from the heat cycles their sensitivity to road conditions gets worse. New they are pretty well behaved tires. But closer to the end of their life due to tread wear the tires can turn crappy.

With 15K miles on the tires check the tire wear. If uneven across the tread faces or if there are signs of feathering, or cupping of the tread surface or the tire tread blocks have a rough surface this is a sign of an alignment problem and should be addressed with a proper alignment. At 15K miles the tires will be of course worn and with my other cars techs have told me aligning a car with worn tires may not produce the best alignment results but I was willing to take the risk and if the alignment after was not all that good I saw no evidence of this. The car felt much better and tire life was not affected to any degree I noticed. In one case it took some hundreds of miles of driving to allow the abnormally worn tires -- front tires -- time to wear down and adapt to the new and correct alignment but once this happened all was well. (The tire howl at freeway speeds was gone.)

Just some general things of note. Be sure tire pressures are good. We are at a time when seasons are changing and cold tire pressures will be done because ambient temperatures are lower. Here in NWA instead of overnight temperature staying in the 70F range tonight overnight low is forecast to be 39F. At some point I'll have to check tire pressures and probably bring them up a PSI or 2.

Long shot but check all the tires on your car are the correct tires, the same tires, same tread wear rating, hardness, load rating, everything. If the tires are unidirectional be sure all tires are mounted facing the right direction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts