Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2022 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Challenger from Steve White Motors and after some initial issues, the car was delivered to me in Florida with Temp tags. After a couple of weeks I called to inquire about my title and registration-I was transferring tags- Eric told me there was a problem with my auto insurance and they needed more information. I sent another copy of my Auto Insurance ID card with all the pertinent information on it. Another week goes by and still nothing. WE come to last week and my temp tag is expiring and Eric tells me the Florida DMV is asking for the Auto insurance again with a bar code. Today, after 45 minutes I get through to the DMV and they tell me that what I originally sent is correct and that the dealer must not be dealing with a Florida tax collector office.
So, my tags are now dead 6 days past the expiration date. No grace period in Florida and a possible $200 dollar fine when I get pulled over. Steve White will not issue me another temp tag. The latest is that they will let me know when my local DMV office has my tags available and then I have to go to pick them up!!!
This is unacceptable, but I am stuck and really should not drive the car, but have no idea how long until the registration is ready. Yes, this turned into a rant, but 30 days and you can't get me my registration? As if it is my fault.
I am definitely not happy with Steve White Motors.

· Registered
522 Posts
I picked up my Challenger during the height of the Covid over-reaction. The state DMV was conveniently doing nothing and the state legislature passed a temporary law for no expired tags tickets to be issued. Magically the DMV sent everyone their stuff the week before the law expired.

Being the wiseass that I am and not having received my plates, I proceeded to install CNH 320 plates on my car and legally drive it around. :cool:

This story doesn't help the OP's situation, though I am not sure what they expect this forum to be able to do. 'Stuff' Happens, and it certainly sounds like there was a dropped ball somewhere in the process. It is not like this is the first vehicle SWM has sold, and their process somehow changed to not deal with a Florida tax collector office just for this sale. I'm not a Florida DMV expert by any means, but a quick search shows the DMV has options for issuing temporary tags for 10, 30, & 90 days. Seems to me there is enough wiggle room for flexibility in this situation.

However, if the insurance information provided at the time of purchase was not fully in order, then this is delay is all on the OP. I cannot judge that though, it is simply a possibility.

· Registered
2020 Gold Rush T/A 392 50th Anniversary, 66 of 70
251 Posts
I've had several of those delays with my last couple car purchases. Some was out of my hands like ice storms delaying the mail, but some was also inter-state rules or regulations that the other side didn't understand which caused misunderstandings and delays. It sucks, oh well.

· Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
35,693 Posts
DMV in NC has been lagging since the lockdowns. Have to make an appointment to get your license renewed and they are months out. I think they do have walk in times but I'm sure people are lined up around the corner. Even getting the renewal in the mail is lagging. Use to be 90 days before the inspection was due but now it's sometimes just a few weeks before.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not Florida DMV's fault. They checked their logs and no record of my application. Steve White dropped the ball, and these are the guys who sell across state lines all the time!

· Registered
74 Posts
"they sell across state lines all the time"

That statement alone says a lot. Not saying they are perfect but the fact that they continue to sell many cars out of state tells you they are pretty good at it. We purchased from them and the total experience was top notch. (I'm local so we dealt in person) They know an issue like yours wont correct itself so why would they just ignore it? I hope it gets resolved quickly.

· Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,168 Posts
I've had several of those delays with my last couple car purchases. Some was out of my hands like ice storms delaying the mail, but some was also inter-state rules or regulations that the other side didn't understand which caused misunderstandings and delays. It sucks, oh well.
Even buying a car in the state I live in I've run into issues. Mostly title related. My state (AR) tells me 4 to 6 weeks to get a title issued. Last time I waited so long I called. Was told the title was in processing... After the title was processed -- almost 30 days after I had surrendered the manufacture's title -- I received the title in the mail just a few days later. Seems the title was in processing forever. But once processed (printed) then things moved quickly.

· Registered
113 Posts
I had an issue almost the same as yours. Bought my HC on Nov 10 from Koons in Va and my temp tag expired on Dec 10. Never heard back from nobody till Jan 3 when they finally sent me another temp tag good from Jan 2 till Feb 2 not even 3 days go by and they finally send me my NJ Reg and Tags. Not acceptable in my book, but then again my car is a secondary car and it was locked away in the garage anyways for winter. If it was my daily driver I would of been pissed, especially for what they charge you for fee's.

· Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my Challenger from Steve White Motors and after some initial issues, the car was delivered to me in Florida with Temp tags. After a couple of weeks I called to inquire about my title and registration-I was transferring tags- Eric told me there was a problem with my auto insurance and they needed more information. I sent another copy of my Auto Insurance ID card with all the pertinent information on it. Another week goes by and still nothing. WE come to last week and my temp tag is expiring and Eric tells me the Florida DMV is asking for the Auto insurance again with a bar code. Today, after 45 minutes I get through to the DMV and they tell me that what I originally sent is correct and that the dealer must not be dealing with a Florida tax collector office.
So, my tags are now dead 6 days past the expiration date. No grace period in Florida and a possible $200 dollar fine when I get pulled over. Steve White will not issue me another temp tag. The latest is that they will let me know when my local DMV office has my tags available and then I have to go to pick them up!!!
This is unacceptable, but I am stuck and really should not drive the car, but have no idea how long until the registration is ready. Yes, this turned into a rant, but 30 days and you can't get me my registration? As if it is my fault.
You should have bought one locally. Always issues with out of state dealers.

· Registered
522 Posts
You should have bought one locally. Always issues with out of state dealers.
<Shrug> I bought two cars out-of-state from a high volume dealer (Dave Smith). The 2nd was the Challenger and I would not have purchased it if the first deal didn't go smooth.

The first vehicle had to be replaced after being hit in October by an unlicensed & stoned 16yo. Due to inventory constraints and limited options, I ended up with a local dealer. Absolutely terrible to deal with. I don't care what warranty issues the vehicle has, I will NOT set foot back inside their door again.

· Registered
1 Posts
Has this been sorted yet?
Any one else have problems with Steve White?
Any good purchases?

· Registered
74 Posts
Has this been sorted yet?
Any one else have problems with Steve White?
Any good purchases?

We bought from them 6/2021. Best dealership experience we have ever had and we have purchased more than our share through the years. They are 1.5hrs from us and we prob passed 8 other Dodge dealers to get there if that tells you anything. Order process through handing us the keys was perfect.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had to call Eric at Steve White Motors again yesterday Monday the 23rd. He assured me my registration was available at my local DMV. Well, stupid me , I go there and the clerk says any business is by appointment only. After a 40 minute hold time I get through to the Florida DMV. Yes, she says the application did arrive today(monday) and will be processed right away. They will mail it out and I should have it in 2-3 days. I am now 14 days PAST my temp tag expiration date. Steve White Motors waited until I complained and then after 30 days decided to put my paperwork through. Florida DMV had better customer service than SWM's. I have not received any call back, apology or even checking on my car, buying experience, customer satisfaction-nothing. Every dealer I have purchased from does some kind of follow up. I guess out of state customers get the shaft. I cross my fingers each day if I have to take the car out. No grace period and a $200 dollar fine for dead tags. Oh yeah, SWM would not issue me a new temp tag.

· Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
5,643 Posts
I had to call Eric at Steve White Motors again yesterday Monday the 23rd. He assured me my registration was available at my local DMV. Well, stupid me , I go there and the clerk says any business is by appointment only. After a 40 minute hold time I get through to the Florida DMV. Yes, she says the application did arrive today(monday) and will be processed right away. They will mail it out and I should have it in 2-3 days. I am now 14 days PAST my temp tag expiration date. Steve White Motors waited until I complained and then after 30 days decided to put my paperwork through. Florida DMV had better customer service than SWM's. I have not received any call back, apology or even checking on my car, buying experience, customer satisfaction-nothing. Every dealer I have purchased from does some kind of follow up. I guess out of state customers get the shaft. I cross my fingers each day if I have to take the car out. No grace period and a $200 dollar fine for dead tags. Oh yeah, SWM would not issue me a new temp tag.
You are dealing with Eric and from the sound of it he could be doing a better job of following up. But, I don't see where you spoke with Luke. I have dealt with Luke multiple times and he is a first class, stand up guy. He needs to at least be made aware of the situation.

· Registered
45 Posts
Honestly, being Police for 25 years I can tell u no one really gives a ratts ass about temp registrations.

They're rarely ever run and seeing the expiration date on most of em requires binoculars smh so unless u get pulled over for speeding or some other MV violation I would simply drive it till my tags came in....... Drive slow!

· Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,168 Posts
Honestly, being Police for 25 years I can tell u no one really gives a ratts ass about temp registrations.

They're rarely ever run and seeing the expiration date on most of em requires binoculars smh so unless u get pulled over for speeding or some other MV violation I would simply drive it till my tags came in....... Drive slow!
I can believe that. I watch Youtube towing videos. Link:

And the guy tows vehicles all the time with out of date tags and expired temporary tags and even clearly homemade temp tags or even lame ass "TEST DRIVE" tags, etc.

Some of the temporary tags are several years out of date.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts