Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pretty dang effective for the Pentastar engine and not sure why I ever decided to fiddle around with it.

To provide some back story, a months after having my SXT I started looking into air intake options. On my old Charger I went from a high flow panel filter, back to stock, and finally to an AEM CAI. With the intake the exhaust finally hit puberty, but I was not pleased with the hot weather performance. Also, I figured I could have saved the money and gotten the same exhaust growl with just a good panel filter.

A year ago I decided to put an AEM dryflow filter in my stock air box. The vehicle got loud and snorted and growled in sport mode, but that is where the fun ended. My gas mileage suffered, dropping on average to 22-23mpg. I always had to gun it to get the vehicle to "wake up" and my best 0-60 time was 7.34 secs. For the first few weeks I figured it was bad gas, the computer stuck on "granny mode", or just the need for an oil change. Eventually I got use to the vehicle handling this way, until today.

Today, when doing some routine checks on my car, I took the AEM filter out and put my old stock MOPAR one in. I have to say the difference is very noticeable. The car got quieter, so much so that I don't notice it at idle. My gas mileage creeped up to 26.5 mpg and my 0-60 run was 6.50 on regular 87 octane. I swapped ends bad pulling out of an intersection by just tapping the gas. No hard or loud shifts, and the throttle response seems quicker. Just to reiterate, this is all with stock a d regular gas.

Just a friendly public service announcement for those thinking about intake options. You may want to take into consideration what you already have.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
I have to disagree, based on the Mopar intake ONLY. I get better 0 to 60 times, better sound and better gas mileage.
Maybe because the Mopar intake is designed specifically for that motor.
My best 0 to 60 5.84 sec. Pretty good for a V6.
That is a really good 0 to 60...

Reactions: rnewman19 and Evan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Man with all the varied information it makes it really hard for me to make the decision to spend the 300+ $ on the mopar or otherwise intake systems. i want the sound and the look but really if its going to effect the power in the vehicle then i would rather save the money and leave it alone. any words of wisdom lol??

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The biggest impact my vehicle's performance has been temperature and gas. These cars love cool ambient temperatures and thrive in them. I noticed I get the best summer performance with quality 89 or 91 gas, anything above or below and my mpg drops. I get good winter performance with quality 87.

Why 91? I normally don't see any benefit to premium, but with fewer stations running 89 (or fudging their 87 summer blend) it is usually what I turn to during the hot and humid summer months.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just put in a K&N 63 model CAI, running 87oct right now but just on a realatively casual off a red light test I managed 7.28 which was better then my pedal to the metal 7.65 I had the day before.
My best with stock was 6.85 so I'm hoping to do better then that yet.
Really love the sound at the 4K+ RPM though

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
If you have a 2015 or newer I would opt for the Hellcat airbox. Otherwise I would just leave it stock. CAI's don't really provide much hp increase on our cars. They might help a little, but just about every setup I've seen is going to dramatically increase IAT's which is bad. So any increase in flow might end up being mitigated by the higher IAT's. If you go with one of the true CAI's that put the fender way down in the fenderwell area you would likely see some gains with that. But most of the short ram intakes dont' really seem to make that much of a difference, at least from what I've seen/experienced.

And yes, you'll definitely get much better 0-60 times in cooler weather than in hot weather. Cooler denser air helps make more power over the hot humid air. My 1/4 mile times vary by about .2-.3 tenths from 45 degrees to 85 degrees.

Reactions: BAD PAPA

·
Registered
808 Posts
Finally, a reason to welcome colder weather.
I'd say that and for football, but maybe not so much for the Bears this year, it looks like.

Reactions: baggerjack

·
Registered
92 Posts
I installed a Injen short ram CAI on my 2016 Challenger SXT because Injen claimed a 14HP gain and that the CAI was tuned for my car. Well it didn't do any better than my stock Challenger and in some cases, (probably tempurture related) actually performed worse. I was getting consistent 0-60 in 6.5sec. on 87. The best I ever got, one time, was 6.3 with the Injen running 91. Bad investment!!! you can probably do better spending the money on something. I realloy believe the stock intake is fine. Remember that you videos that SXT plus has 3.07 gears compared to 2.72 gears in a Base SXT, therefore not as good of a burn-out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! I love the responses I get and am building more knowledge about my 2016 Challenger. I use to old school cars that don't have all the extra "stuff" you have to take into account when doing addons. I got turned on to a Tazer line lock; ordered one and should receive it this week. I always liked to smoke the tires.
Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With all these posts I read about losing 0 to 60 time with the CAI I'm tempted
to put my stock air box on.
Check out my post on Tazer for Scat Pac. Page 7 look for Vince Pecoraro. Pretty long Winded but with pretty good info if you have a 3.6 challenger and want to get a little more out of it. Especially the Ram air mod for $0 and about <10 minuets of your time.

Reactions: Saetta
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.