Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Challenger Hellcat 6M - Destroyer Grey
180 Posts
First time I heard it and it seems better than Dodges apparent solution.

The only thing that worries me is form over function. Is it more likely that this bricks your vehicle during the most inconvenient manner, whether it was designed to or not, or your vehicle is truly about to be stolen? Does the next computer software update wreak havoc?

Hard to say…but would want bullet proof reviews over a long time before it made me confident.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
That is amazing. All the fun stuff Tazer does with this added security. I hope they don't add a horn like the video mentions as I remote start a lot.

Reactions: deano379

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like it. But I do agree - a little more field usage before I implement.

Does unplugging the Tazer eliminate the functionality? Most of us have our Tazers in the trunk as that is where the bypass needs to be located. It could eliminate some of the trepidation if unplugging the Tazer restored functionality. Of course, that is cause for a thief to do the same. And this does nothing for a tow truck heist.

I wonder how easy it is to enable/disable? Reason I ask... This is definitely a feature/function I would use going to any sort of high risk areas. However, I'll bet around 50% of the time I start my car it is on my own property. Moving the car in/out of the shop, wash rack, etc, counts for a lot of start/stop cycles. This feature would quickly become darn annoying, sort of like a seat belt chime. Given where I live if someone is in range of my WiFi signal, then they are trespassing, and they are also...uh....'in range'. So I am not really worried about a problem at my property - and that is why the code would be annoying every time.

I'll be watching with interest. Any early adopters in this group??

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
44 Posts
It's available for download now. I was going to do it today, But it's been pouring rain all day. Mine to is in the trunk so it would take me a few minutes to get it out. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I will do it then. There is also a whole new set of Instructions for the 2.5.6 Firmware. Here's the page with the PIN update instructions for those interested.

Font Screenshot Event Parallel Carmine

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
44 Posts
I did get a chance to do this yesterday. All I can say is for a free upgrade if you already have a Tazer it's pretty cool. After I upgraded the Firmware on the Tazer to Version 2.5.6 it was to easy. Just like the Video above shows you go to the "SET PIN" screen and enter the PIN of your choice. You can use 1 to 6 of the Cruise Control buttons in any random order. That's it, Your done. Using it was just has easy. I start the car, Put it in gear, hands on the wheel and using my right thumb key in my pin and away I go. I will use it a few days and give another update later.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,927 Posts
Just my personal product opinion regarding the Tazer and this new lockout feature, the only feature I even considered was the line lock of the Tazer, but IMO, that is just a quicker demise to wearing out my rear wheels, as they already go quick enough as is. This new locking feature may be a good thing as long as you don't forget how to disable it, I mean how many times have you gone into a room, and then wondered what you went in the room for. There is too much spaghetti wiring in these cars already, what if it malfunctions.
Isn't that why we have automobile insurance, if it is stolen, to replace it? Ry

Edit: All these aftermarket gimmicks like the Tazer and Pedal Commander etc., may be a fad, and somehow advertised to make us really want them, but afterwards may become useless. For example I have not used my Pedal Commander for over 2 years now, because there was no need of it after my Challenger was tuned. But now that my 5.7 is supercharged it is an even more worthless item, and a total waste of money to me, even though, some still swear by it.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I posted this same thread on Hellcat.org. For those of you interested, the owner of Z Automotive (the guy who designed and developed the Tazer) is responding to some member questions about the new Tazer pin lock feature. His forum name is noesp and his first reply is post #19.

·
Registered
495 Posts
....Isn't that why we have automobile insurance, if it is stolen, to replace it? ...
I hear you, but I don't think everyone will see it the same way.

We recently lost our Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (details). I paid extra for the gap insurance coverage to get a new replacement vehicle. Good, I get to go out and shop for a brand new Trailhawk, right?

Well not really. See our loss vehicle had the Hemi motor in it. Guess what they make now - copper top Jeeps. No more Hemi. Of course, we all know that here on the forum. And sure, for urban people with traffic laden commutes EVs make sense. The don't for me, living the rural life and with the incredibly high electrical rates we have.

Making a comment like 'Isn't that why we have automobile insurance' actually doesn't make me whole again. Sure, money goes back in my pocket, but that doesn't replace a vehicle I bought new and lovingly maintained from day one.

Staying on the topic of this post, I will maintain that a good anti-theft defense is better for me - as a car lover - than falling back on the insurance moniker.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
44 Posts
Spent the day yesterday driving around doing a bunch of errands. Had the Tazer Pin Lock on the whole time. Worked great. I can't see how it could get any easier or faster to use. Wasn't a inconvenience by any means.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
What happens if the would be car thief yanks out the Tazer?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
This is becoming a must have product.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I have mine in the trunk and also use a OBD2 Extension cable. It's well hidden and requires tools to get at it.
Mine would be under the dash. Either way, what happens?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
44 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine would be under the dash. Either way, what happens?
From the post on the other site.... "For best results, stow the Tazer in a place where it is not likely to be removed intentionally or accidentally"
The developer continues on, "I am working on a method to also make the vehicle not drivable after the lock is triggered, in a way that removing the Tazer won’t matter."

So what this means is 'Security to obscurity'. As long as the Tazer is connected & hidden, this PIN code works.

Could it be found & defeated? Sure. But that takes time. This is a defense against some sort of electronic key-copying attack. And remember, for all thieves time is of the essence. Could they open the trunk and root around for the Tazer? Sure. Do they have the time to do so? Not really. Especially if it is tied in good and concealed.

This idea is growing on me. It brings multi-factor authentication (MFA) to the vehicle. That is a new thing for the automotive industry. There are only three types of authentication:
- Something you have. This would be a key. Or a debit card.​
- Something you know. This would be a PIN or password.​
- Something you are. Biometrics - fingerprints, DNA, retina scan, etc​

That's it. Everything you can think of fits in to one or more of those categories.

MFA is increasingly common in our modern banking. It is tough to do correctly. A lot of systems do things like password + verification email. That is still single factor authentication - a password for the system and a password for the email, both things that can be 'known' and consequently shared. Systems that send a code a mobile device are better because it is necessary to have access to the device (ie: my phone + my phone number) to get the code. Even then phones can be cloned, but that is tougher to do. Biometrics is great...when it works. It is prone to false positives and false negatives making it unreliable for things like fingerprint readers & facial recognition. DNA & retina scanning is really conclusive, but is also pretty invasive too.

Anyway, I digress. I work in cyber security and this is cool stuff. :geek:

My point is... As MFA is being more & more accepted as common place, Tazer may have the right idea at the right time. This will be an interesting feature to see developed.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
OK, thanks for the detailed response.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From the post on the other site.... "For best results, stow the Tazer in a place where it is not likely to be removed intentionally or accidentally"
The developer continues on, "I am working on a method to also make the vehicle not drivable after the lock is triggered, in a way that removing the Tazer won’t matter."
Adding to this, the owner/developer of Z Automotive Tazer makes an excellent point that the Tazer is continuously upgradeable as new security ideas are tested and implemented, and presumably at no additional cost since they're firmware upgrades. It was an unexpected surprise that he joined in the conversation and was open to listening to concerns and suggestions from the Hellcat forum members.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Adding to this, the owner/developer of Z Automotive Tazer makes an excellent point that the Tazer is continuously upgradeable ...
Yeah, I read that too. Though I wonder how much tech is crammed in to this little device. Gotta be some sort of flash storage, compute, and I/O functionality. Seems it would be limited in how much it could do by the hardware.

That said... It matches the generation of the hardware in our beloved cars. I imagine a next-generation Tazer for the future copper-top Challenger may require more internal resources.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts