Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. I'm new to the forums and I just purchased a 2014 SXT Plus fully loaded.

I'm going to be storing the car in a heated garage over the worst winter months where they salt the roads (about 4-5 months here in Canada). Otherwise I keep it parked outside uncovered during the summer.

I've read several things to do to the vehicle before storing and was just wondering if anyone else stores their vehicle for the winter, what preparation steps you take.

Things I've read that I should do:
- Fill the gas tank up so it's not going to create condensation in the tank and it'll keep the seals from drying out.
- Add a fuel stabilizer to prevent ethanol build up and protect engine from gunk/varnish/rust
- Change oil so any contaminants in the oil won't damage the engine
- Wash/clean the car to prevent any acids or stains setting in the clear coat or plastics.
- Don't use parking brake to prevent discs from fusing to the pads.
- Run A/C for 5 minutes on full to lubricate the system and prevent condenser damage next time it starts up.
- Disconnect negative terminal on battery or use a trickle charger. (Disconnecting would probably erase my configuration settings though?)
- Remove tires and place vehicle on blocks to prevent damage to tires from the weight of the stationary car.
- keep it covered with a car cover even though it's in the garage, to prevent dust or liquids from staining or damaging the finish

Additionally I'd be concerned about mice and critters getting into the vehicle since it's out in the country. I've heard you can use something like irish springs soap shavings around the vehicle to deter mice from coming near it. You can also cover the exhaust and air intake to prevent them getting in as well.

If I didn't want to put the car up on blocks and remove the tires, I assume I'd have to start the vehicle once or twice a month and drive it around for a couple of minutes to keep the tires in shape.

I'm interested in hearing what you guys do to store your vehicle.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,549 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I do everything on your list when I put my car away.

Here are some other items for you.

I shove steel wool up the tail pipe so critters can’t get gain entry.

For fuel stabilizer I put 2 cans of SEA FOAM in the gas tank.

I put the car on jack stands but I leave the tires on, I lift the car enough to take some weight off the suspension but the tires still make contact with the ground.

With suspension you want to have some weight on it, the car was design this way. You don’t want to leave the shocks fully extended.

Reactions: oilslick

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I make sure the car is clean, I pull it in the garage and connect the battery tender. I have done this 5 winters now with the 09 and everything is still perfect.

If you have a mouse problem, you need to work on the garage to keep them out. My building is "mouse proof" but I always keep several traps around the building in case one gets in while the doors are open - and they do from time to time.

BTW your parking brake does not use the disc brakes, it is a separate set of shoes in the rear rotor hat.

·
More Than Just A Car
20,522 Posts
Since I got the car, I just make sure she is clean, put stabllizer in the tank then fill her up so the stabilizer mixes throughly and runs through the car ( all done at the gas station), air on for a bit, air pressure in tires up a couple of PSI's, windows down about 1/2", new air freshener, hook on the battery tender, cover her up, and tell her to have a nice rest she earned it.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Here's what I do:
Full Gas Tank
Stabil
Battery Tender
Bounce Sheets everywhere
Car Cover

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey All. I'm new to the forums and I just purchased a 2014 SXT Plus fully loaded.

- Remove tires and place vehicle on blocks to prevent damage to tires from the weight of the stationary car.
- keep it covered with a car cover even though it's in the garage, to prevent dust or liquids from staining or damaging the finish

If I didn't want to put the car up on blocks and remove the tires, I assume I'd have to start the vehicle once or twice a month and drive it around for a couple of minutes to keep the tires in shape.

I'm interested in hearing what you guys do to store your vehicle.
Take a peek at race ramps flat stoppers. Just drive up onto 'em and you're set.
http://www.raceramps.com/long-term-storage.aspx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts