Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm planning to get the resonators and mufflers removed and straight piping it all the way back, was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this on an engine with the VVT?

Was wondering what it would sound like at idle, if it'd have a nice muscle tone with it or not.

Also, while the mechanics are the shop are working on it I'm going to have them start it up with no pipes replacing the cut out parts (assuming the exit point for the exhaust will be right after the cats) and see how that sounds. Would love a nice echo effect when the car is back on the ground, will this be achievable with the VVT system?

My base question really is, will it sound mean at idle and accelerating even with the automatic transmission and the VVT?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
forget straight pipes...just do a nice pair of performance mufflers and delete the resonators

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for you're replies and suggestions, after making this thread I continued looking over other threads here in the "R/T Exhaust" section and found some posts with videos on them. After hearing those along with some others on YouTube I decided to remain sturdy on straight piping.

The local shop I went to did an awesome job on the removal of the resonators and mufflers, after replacing the spots with some pipes custom welded on the sound that came from the car on idle and at accelerating/cruising/decelerating speeds were beyond my expectations. Hearing them in real life is way better then what any video can relay.

If there's a place to post videos of before/after mods then I'll post those later on after I remake the after mod video (I talked to much due to my overwhelming excitement).

Hope to see y'all around on the forum, cheers!

·
Read Only
757 Posts
I have had straight pipes on 2 of my Hemi powered vehicles. One was a 2010 Ram 1500 with long tube headers and the other is my current Hemi, the Challenger.

The Truck sounded really good. It would bark when transitioning from 4 cyl to 8 cyl just before stopping and it had a lopey idle (but it had a cam come to think of it). The Challenger is stock other than a Hurst shifter and the straight pipes and it sounds great but the idle doesn't lope, so it needs a cam as well (not until warranty is up).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.