Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I come out of work and start my car as usual and immediately hear stuttering, look down and the CEL is flashing. Shut the car off right away. Restart the car and it was like nothing strange happened. That was two weeks ago and other then that one time the car runs great. I checked for codes, none. Contated Service, they said it could be many things, even low octane fuel could cause that. He suggetsed waiting to see if it happens again. Doing some research it looks like these motors had a lot of left head issues, missing tapping loss of power etc. This was supposed to be corrected in 2012. I sure hope this isn't the same issue. Anyone else have this issue or something similar, any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought one of these myself. How many miles do you have on it out of curiosity?
When it happened it only had about 100 miles. I now have 600 miles and it has been running great. I did find one other post with the exact same sernario. It only happened to him one time and never happened again. So I'm hoping it was just some sort of glitch. I know these motors were known to have head/valve issues which was supposed to be corrected in 2012. I sure hope this isn't the same issue.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi, the the head problem was addressed back in 2012 production, the story I heard was due to the exhaust manifold being incorporated into the head caused issues on left head valve seats warping specifically cylinder #2. If you don't have any tapping noise coming from the head I would not worry. as said it could have been bad fuel do you use e-85 in your car?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, the the head problem was addressed back in 2012 production, the story I heard was due to the exhaust manifold being incorporated into the head caused issues on left head valve seats warping specifically cylinder #2. If you don't have any tapping noise coming from the head I would not worry. as said it could have been bad fuel do you use e-85 in your car?
No tapping noise at all, car sounds and runs great. It happened on the original gas that was in the car on delivery. I have know idea what they put in. I put 93oct in to offset whatever they used. Will go with the recommened 89 oct from now on. Did you have any issues with yours?

·
Business
21,325 Posts
Mine is a 2013 with 13000 miles on her. I have never had any issues at all. I will usually run 89 in her but do also run 87 usually on trips.

·
Registered
738 Posts
No issues with mine, and all I use is 87 octane but I try to stay away from the e-85 heard it will cause problems?

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I bought my 2013 Rallye Redline I was told at delivery that the CEL had come on after the salesman decided to take it for a joyride (jerk!), & I was told that there was a recall on the heads & this was the reason for the CEL. Apparently it was still an issue in 2013. Anyway, it was fixed under the recall with in a week after I bought it & so far it's been fine. It'll be a year next month.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No problems here...

I have a 2013 SXT Plus which is at 30,000 plus miles (yea I like to drive) and I have not had any issue as described.

She's running strong and doing fine.

RW3
:3-smoke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts