Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the time and the weather to do my stripes, after spending a lot of time looking on google images and playing paintshop i finally came up with something i liked and wanted to put on my car.

Its plasti dip with orange flake and carbon fibre vinyl edging. The stripes look matt black, but when the light hits it at the right angle the orange flake pops.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
added some pictures of all the masking, and yes I did it outside. One of the best things about plasti dip is that is dries almost instantly.

after the first 3 coats

Reactions: challengerfan56

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Great work! I always enjoy seeing the step-by-step photos too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great work! I always enjoy seeing the step-by-step photos too.
I did have some more pics, but I have to get them off my phone. it really just shows the planning of the masking.

I do have some of my early prototype stripe ideas though (photoshop and MS paint)

if people want to see them I will put them up.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I did have some more pics, but I have to get them off my phone. it really just shows the planning of the masking.

I do have some of my early prototype stripe ideas though (photoshop and MS paint) if people want to see them I will put them up.
Prep work is as involved as the painting or plasti-dipping process. Your initial ideas would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
prep work took up about 90% of time for the whole project. Spraying was only a couple of mins then cleaning the spray gun, by the time I sat down after each coat, the dip was already dry lol.

Reactions: MOPARMOM

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dual stripes with solid front (saw it on a camaro)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
then there was a couple of single stripe options

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the rest were awful so i won't embarrass myself by showing them to the public :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here is a close up of the spoiler to try and show the orange flake in the dip.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have done edges with plasti dip before, and you need to peel the tape while the dip is wet. and you need to pull it slowly and steady too.

I made two mistakes with my stripes, I left the tape on too long so that the dip was already drying, and i didn't make the tap easy to remove, I should have left some tabs to help me pull the tape up. My previous edges were a lot shorter and there was only a couple. The challenger stripes were very long and there were lots of them. So some of my edges are good, but the rest were awful.

I was contemplating peeling everything and starting again, or buying vinyl stripes. But some brain storming came up with the idea of cutting some vinyl wrap into 1cm thick stripes and using it as edging. this allowed me to hide some of the rough edges and straighten up any wonky lines or correct stripe thickness.

It also allowed me to keep my total cost down as I already had some carbon fiber wrap left over.

Total spend for stripes was less than $30. Masking material, tape, paper roll and plasti dust sheets. Plasti dip was free I had 1g of black in stock so I just borrowed it :) and I bought 25g deep orange flake from my pearls and pigments supplier.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the orange flakes that pop - very cool!
thanks, :beerchug:

it is very subtle and popping at the same time. looks like matt black, but only when the light hits the flakes just right that you see the flake.

Reactions: Northernhawk
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.