Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm removing the shifter, but the last bolt that connects the shifter assembly to the shifter is stuck and I seem to just be stripping it the more I try to dislodge it. I have applied some PB blaster and attempted using different tools but the harder I pull it the more it seems to strip the nut. I'm not really technical enough to remove the whole shifter from the car and it's not drivable right now so I'm hoping to find a resolution in my driveway. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha good suggestion. I would hate to think I was making it tighter this whole time. I ended up getting it using a socket wrench without an extension. I was using a small one that could fit in there but not enough leverage. The big one needs an adapter for my 10mm socket so it wouldn't fit. I had to borrow my neighbor's set which had the 10mm socket without the need for an adapter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,726 Posts
A good way to removed a bolt/screw you’re stripping whether it be with a socket, torx, Phillips, ext, put a piece of cloth or paper over it and either tap the socket on or press your Phillips or torx bit in and go to town. This is if you can’t get a welder or extractor to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Post a picture of the bolt

Reactions: DeWFPo

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
732 Posts
Ha good suggestion. I would hate to think I was making it tighter this whole time. I ended up getting it using a socket wrench without an extension. I was using a small one that could fit in there but not enough leverage. The big one needs an adapter for my 10mm socket so it wouldn't fit. I had to borrow my neighbor's set which had the 10mm socket without the need for an adapter.

Thanks!
I'm glad to hear you were able to get it.

Leverage is amazing.

Archimedes said:
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

Installing a new shifter?

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,121 Posts
Next time try a quality box end wrench

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,121 Posts
Tried that but when I pulled as hard as I could, it ended up stripping the bolt.. maybe not a quality wrench..
Once it's stripped the right tool probably won't work, which leaves vice grips. If that doesn't work it's time to cut the bolt...

Reactions: GreenHornet15
1 - 11 of 11 Posts