Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any sunroof issues? i went to open the vent by using the middle button today , and it just went up about 1/2" and stopped and i tried it again and it did the same thing, then it would not do anything but click.parked the car and shut it off for about 10 minutes and it worked fine.was this just a fluke or has anybody else had this issue?
thanks, marada

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yep happened to me once too, I almost beat my roof to death trying to get it to work again, but did like you did, shut everything off, let her sit for about 5 mins then it worked again and has been ever since. Hope it stays that way.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Had the roof fully opened a month or so back, went to close it, and all I got was a clicking sound to the right of the roof where the wire is, did the groceries, came back started her up and it closed fine, been fine ever since.

I just put it down to the fact it was very cold from a previous snow??

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The only issue I've had with mine is that if I press the button and it's in the process of closing and I turn the ignition off, it moves to a half-open position and stops. Pressing the button again gets it going. I've learned to not turn my car off until the sunroof finishes closing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Left mine in the vent open position just yesterday, all day. Temp was about 78 degrees outside. Went to jump in and close it and just got the clicking sound. Ran right down to the dealer and set up an appointment for the next morning. After leaving the car no more than 10 minutes while I spoke with the service guy it worked fine. Nobody having this happen more than once? Sure seems wierd...

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
So far, so good - here. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The only issue I've had with mine is that if I press the button and it's in the process of closing and I turn the ignition off, it moves to a half-open position and stops. Pressing the button again gets it going. I've learned to not turn my car off until the sunroof finishes closing.
I have a similar thing if I hit the close sunroof, start rolling up my windows, and then turn off the ignition while BOTH of these are going on, the sunroof will stop, reverse, and open back up. If I am not rolling up the windows, it works fine to turn off the ignition while rolling up the sunroof. Wierd.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
I had a sunroof issue the first time I had her out. The sunroof got stuck in the up tilt position. I heard the little servo motor trying to close it so I just left it alone for a couple of hours and when I returned it worked. Have another 5000 miles on her now and no further problems to report. The buttons are super touchy though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This discussion board amazes me more and more each time I log on!
I just drove home from work and went to close the sunroof from the fully open position, and it wouldn'd budge. Finally, I got it to move an inch or two at a time by pushing the center position (that simply vents it) but it came as far as the vent position and would not close all the way. I shut the car off and waited about a half hour, and checked this site, and after reading all these posts, decided to go back out and give it a try. Started the car, and tried to close it - and nothing. I shut the car off, tried the close button again and it went down to close and then opened itself all the way open. So I tried to close it again & then it went back a couple inches and then moved forward and closed. Seems like they are all possessed or something. Hopefully, this will be the first and last time that that happens. I surely wont feel comfortable about opening it when I take it out for lunch anymore - for fear it wont close and some one or some bird damges the inside while I am at work. Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Reposted from 100 Challenger Tips and Tricks:
http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/100 Challenger Tips and Tricks.htm#ChallTip118

SUNROOF OPERATION:

[FONT=&quot]This vehicle has a vent, tilt and slide power sunroof system with express (one-touch) open and closing feature. The sunroof system receives constant battery feed through a fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). The sunroof will operate normally with the key in any position while the Accessory Delay system is active. If the sunroof is moving when the key is turned to the START position (crank engine), all motions stop until the key is released, then the previously requested sunroof motion will resume. The sunroof will also complete a requested motion if the Accessory Delay system goes inactive while the motion is in progress.

A combination push-button and rocker switch module mounted in the overhead console controls sunroof operation. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The sunroof switch is a rocker design with a push button in the center of the two halves of the rocker. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Pressing the rocker towards the front of the car commands the sunroof closed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Pressing the rocker towards the rear of the car commands the sunroof open. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Pressing the center push button commands the sunroof up into the vent position (Rear of sunroof glass raises above the vehicle roof [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] with glass still covering the sunroof opening). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Pressing the vent mode button with the sunroof fully open will close all the way and then retract to the half-open position.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All switch commands operate with the glass starting in any position.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
An electronic control system, integral to the motor/module assembly, provides the express open and close functions. Pressing the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"open" or "close" end of the rocker switch moves the sunroof glass panel to the full open or full closed position, respectively. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
During express closing, anytime an obstacle is detected in the way of the glass, the motor will stop and reverse travel to avoid pinching [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]an occupant's finger, ice in the track, etc. This function is called Excessive Force Limitation (EFL). There are two methods of overriding [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the EFL function.

1. When three EFL events occur without the glass being allowed to fully close, the next close attempt will only move while the close
switch is continuously actuated. This allows the sunroof to be forced closed if multiple close attempts fail.

2. If the sunroof close switch is continuously actuated during an EFL event, through the reversal, and during a two second wait time, then
continuing to hold the close switch will cause the roof to move towards close with the EFL protection disabled. This allows the sunroof to
be forced closed if it is known that a reversal will occur.

While in EFL override, the closing motion will cease if the sunroof switch is released at any time.

The motor/module is programmed to learn the speed required to drive the panel based on position and recalibrates itself as needed.
If the sunroof becomes un-calibrated, it will only respond to the vent switch.

If the vent switch is pressed, the glass will move toward vent; if the switch is released, all motion stops. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
In the event that the sunroof system becomes un-calibrated perform the sunroof position calibration procedure.
[/FONT]

SUNROOF POSITION CALIBRATION:

[FONT=&quot]Press the power sunroof switch (Open, Closed, and Vent). If no movement occurs when either the open switch or closed switch is pressed, but the system does move when the "vent button" is pressed and held, the system is not calibrated.

Perform the following procedure to "position calibrate" the power sunroof system.

1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.

2. Press the "vent button" on the power sunroof switch and hold until the sunroof glass
panel has moved to the full vent position and the motor movement has stopped for
at least 1 second.

3. Press the "close switch" on the power sunroof switch and hold for a moment (at least
100ms) and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full close
position. If the sunroof glass panel does not return to the full close position, refer to
the appropriate diagnostic information for full system diagnosis.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. Verify proper system operation.

[/FONT]EXCESSIVE FORCE LIMITATION (EFL) CALIBRATION:
[FONT=&quot]
NOTE:
Verify the battery is in good condition prior to performing this procedure.
Do not leave the vehicle on a battery charger while performing this procedure

If the voltage at the sunroof motor/module drops below 11 volts or
exceeds 15 volts at anytime while this procedure is being performed, the
Excessive Force Limitation (EFL) function will not be properly calibrated.

1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.

2. Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and hold until the sunroof glass
panel has moved to the full vent position and the motor movement has stopped for
at least 1 second.

3. Press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass
panel should continue travel to the full closed position. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [This will be considered the first sunroof closed position in a series of four
sunroof closes.
]

4. Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass
panel should move to the full vent position. After the sunroof motor/module has
stopped, press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The
sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [This will be considered the second sunroof closed position in a series
of four sunroof closes.]

5. Continue to move the sunroof glass to the “vent” then “closed” positions two more
times so that the sunroof glass has moved to the closed position a total of four times
starting with the first sunroof close in step 3.

6. Press the open position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass
panel should continue travel to the full open position.

7. Press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass
panel should continue travel to the full closed position. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [This will be considered the first sunroof closed position in a series of five sunroof closes. ]

8. Press the open position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass
panel should move to the full open position. After the sunroof motor/module has
stopped, press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The
sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position.

Continue to move the sunroof glass to the “open” then “closed” position four more times so that the sunroof glass has moved to the closed position a total of five times starting with the first sunroof close in step 7.

Verify proper EFL calibration by placing a standard pencil at the front of the sunroof and then moving the sunroof to the full closed position. The sunroof should reverse direction upon contact without damage to the pencil.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SWITCH - POWER SUNROOF [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Fuse feed from Power Distribution Center (rear) [Fuse # 44][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Remove the overhead console, [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Refer to Electrical/8M - Message Systems/Overhead Console - Removal) [/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Disconnect the power sunroof switch wire harness connector.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Using an ohmmeter, test the continuity of the power sunroof switch in each switch position.
Refer to the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]POWER SUNROOF SWITCH CONTINUITY TABLE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. If OK, inspect the wiring [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]harness and connectors for damage. Use a scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Information to complete diagnosis of the power sunroof system. If not OK, replace the overhead console.
[/FONT]

:smileup:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think this is another fly by wire speratic anomally associated with these cars. As in other cases,, it will reset itself. Give it a minute. turn it off,, take a walk, make a call,, try it now,,, First time I experienced LIMP mode,, cost me a tow home. LMAO

·
Premium Member
8,985 Posts
My sunroof refused to close one time...I was in a little bit of a panic as rain was forecast for later that day. I took the car to the dealer and within 10 mins, the sunroof was closed. I think it was a computer fart and the thing just needed to sit for a few minutes. It has worked fine ever since.:smileup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for posting the info 426, I never had any problems with the sunroof but if I ever do then I will know what to do, Also keep the sliders greased up for a smooth opening and closing of the sunroof. Over time from cleaning the car you can and will wipe the grease off the tracks.

Just a little bit goes a long way. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts