Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '09 R/T that had a Vortec supercharger installed in '12...by Vortec in California. I love the car and it runs like a scalded dog, but it's time to put her up for sale. Anyone have an idea of what I should be asking? Overall the car is in great shape with 470bhp and 58k miles.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
I won't speculate an actual dollar amount but personally I think the value might be less than the same vehicle in stock condition.
Most people just assume because it had a whistle that the driver beat the snot out of it daily - maybe they did, probably, I would - but maybe not (highly unlikely LOL).
I wouldn't consider buying a used car that is blown unless I looked at it as a project and went into it with expectations of problems ahead.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not hating on your car. I'm sure you have taken care of the car and it's in good condition.
Best of luck with the sale. You're probably better off selling to a private party and skipping trade in.

·
John
456 Posts
Based on the info you gave, NADA says average trade-in value is $14,600 and clean retail is $17,125.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2009/Dodge/CHALLENGER-V8/Coupe-2D-R-T/Values

A five year-old centrifugal supercharger probably isn't worth more than a grand or two extra, if that. Like jklotz said, most people will assume that the car was abused. Whether they're right or not doesn't matter. What matters is that that's the mindset you'll have to overcome to get a fair price.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts
Once you cross that line you can never go back (I did and no regrets). You can take it back to stock if you have all the parts (I kept all of mine). Then trade her in and sell your used parts. Or put it up for sale and sell it to an individual. As everyone one has said you will not get any additional market value for a modified car. That is why mine will be with me forever... I guess I do need to add one thing... a friend of mine just sold a heavily modified 66 Vette the car was well known in the area and he got top dollar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the comments, but must admit I'm confused. If a supercharger doesn't increase value (or worse, decrease it), why is a Hellcat $70k? Or a 7 series BMW 80+? If a "old" whistle increases depreciation, does that mean a Hellcat will be a bottom barrel bargain in a couple years? That said, I'm only asking 18k and thought it was a bargain at that price.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The Hellcat comes with an oem supercharger and a warranty.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,644 Posts
The problem with a supercharger is that the average used car buyer doesn't know what they can add to an engine, and many average buyers will get spooked over perceived increased insurance rates. Might not be a bad idea to ask one or more of your local speed shops if you can post a flyer in their shop, or if they might consider selling your SC Challenger on consignment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with a supercharger is that the average used car buyer doesn't know what they can add to an engine, and many average buyers will get spooked over perceived increased insurance rates. Might not be a bad idea to ask one or more of your local speed shops if you can post a flyer in their shop, or if they might consider selling your SC Challenger on consignment.
Thanks HM, hadn't thought about a speed shop, I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts
You can still sell it yourself... Have you owned the car from day one? Did you have the SC installed or did you buy the car like that? I guess where I am going with this is if you can speak to the car's positive qualities you may be able to attract the right buyer. There was a SC 2008 that sold on E Bay a month ago that went for far above retail for a 2008 edition.

·
John
456 Posts
A Hellcat is $70k because it's the most powerful mass production automobile on the planet right now and taps into a nostalgic desire, not because it has a supercharger. Once it no longer holds that title and the nostalgia fades, its value will plummet. Promise.

A 7-series Beamer is $80k because it's an all-around superior machine, not because it has a supercharger.

I know it doesn't seem fair, but our cars generally don't hold their value well because they're seen as cars that are beaten on by their owners. This is true for Mustangs and Camaros as well. And American cars STILL aren't considered the equal of German and Japanese cars despite having gotten quite a bit better in the last 30 years.

If someone offers you $18k, take it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I'm not crying about the market value for an R/T being 15-17.5k...I had just thought the SC would bring the value up. As it is, I am the original owner and had the SC installed by Vortec in California. They were doing R&D on a system for the 5.7L, and had the car for about three months, making sure everything was just right. I did take it to the local 1/4 mile track once, to see what my money had bought...but it was so scary/exciting I never did that again. That said, it has otherwise been my rolling around on the weekend/long trip car. I drove it back to Louisiana from California.

·
John
456 Posts
Cool. It sounds like a nice ride with a solid history. If I had the cash and I were local, I'd come take a good look at it.

FYI, you should post an ad on here (it's free), but I wouldn't expect too much of a response. Most people on these boards already own a Challenger. Still, you never know.

Best of luck selling it.

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts
Oh, I'm not crying about the market value for an R/T being 15-17.5k...I had just thought the SC would bring the value up. As it is, I am the original owner and had the SC installed by Vortec in California. They were doing R&D on a system for the 5.7L, and had the car for about three months, making sure everything was just right. I did take it to the local 1/4 mile track once, to see what my money had bought...but it was so scary/exciting I never did that again. That said, it has otherwise been my rolling around on the weekend/long trip car. I drove it back to Louisiana from California.
You just gave your sales pitch.... not a bad one IMO.... If you are not pressured or in a hurry the right buyer will come along....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts