Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Question for anyone who has experience with superchargers, or knows anyway :)

If a supercharger is installed in our Challengers, does this mean we have to use premium fuel now? Regular will just not cut it anymore? Or is it not a clean cut yes or no answer, and it depends on a variety of things?

Thanks!:smileup:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,439 Posts
Hello everyone. Question for anyone who has experience with superchargers, or knows anyway :)

If a supercharger is installed in our Challengers, does this mean we have to use premium fuel now? Regular will just not cut it anymore? Or is it not a clean cut yes or no answer, and it depends on a variety of things?

I don't want to give advice here, but I know someone who can if he doesn't post here PM dodge boy. Alan will definitely know what kind of fuel you would need.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to give advice here, but I know someone who can if he doesn't post here PM dodge boy. Alan will definitely know what kind of fuel you would need.
Done and done :) Thanks for that, we'll see what he says. I noticed he has the R/T though, not sure if that'd make any difference where I'll be supercharging the 3.6

·
Banned
2,349 Posts

Well yes why would you install a supercharger for more power then scrimp on fuel ?? :4-dontknow: Thats like putting a 50MPH governor on a Ferrari.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yes why would you install a supercharger for more power then scrimp on fuel ?? :4-dontknow: Thats like putting a 50MPH governor on a Ferrari.
Because if it didn't require it why would I do it?? Lol hence why I was asking if it needed it:4-looney:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll work out great, I can't wait :) I've been talking to a few people who have had this same thing done with their 3.6's, one of them uses it for their daily driver, the other uses it for a daily driver and takes it to the track regularly. 15,000 miles have been put on his supercharged 3.6 and not a single hiccup yet :) So excited!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
It'll work out great, I can't wait :) I've been talking to a few people who have had this same thing done with their 3.6's, one of them uses it for their daily driver, the other uses it for a daily driver and takes it to the track regularly. 15,000 miles have been put on his supercharged 3.6 and not a single hiccup yet :) So excited!
Should be a nice bump in power!:smileup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Seeing as how in bone stock condition the owner's manual suggests that you use mid-grade...I don't see the problem with forking over another $1.89 per tank for premium. That surely won't break anybody up.

·
12,990 Posts

The installation manual that you get with your Supercharger should clearly tell you which grade of fuel to use. I would say its a pretty safe guess to say premium would give you the best performance.

·
Premium Member
21,643 Posts
Agree on the premium (JMO), you sure do not want detonation and also believe it would be wise to check with supercharger manufacturers to be sure.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
In the manual for the 3.6 it says Regular is acceptable and Mid-grade is recommended... So guess which one my baby gets?

And if I was going to drop upwards of 6-7 thousand dollars on a supercharger, plus install, plus whatever other parts you upgrade, I wouldn't be sweating an extra .10-.15 cents needing to use Premium.

But like up above, do your homework, ask the people doing your install, and use exactly what they tell you to use!

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Premium fuel......even without a supercharger helps.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the manual for the 3.6 it says Regular is acceptable and Mid-grade is recommended... So guess which one my baby gets?

And if I was going to drop upwards of 6-7 thousand dollars on a supercharger, plus install, plus whatever other parts you upgrade, I wouldn't be sweating an extra .10-.15 cents needing to use Premium.

But like up above, do your homework, ask the people doing your install, and use exactly what they tell you to use!
Just in case you're interested in knowing-
When ALL is said and DONE with my supercharger journey, I will have spent just under $5,000 :)

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
YEP...Magnacharger manual states it specifically...AND in with the install manual and other literature is a sticker that says "Premium Fuel Only" that's meant to be put either on the fuel door or the gas cap itself.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Just in case you're interested in knowing-
When ALL is said and DONE with my supercharger journey, I will have spent just under $5,000 :)

Thanks for the replies everyone :)
Are you getting a used one? Most of the SC's I've seen don't even come close to being "just under 5k", not to mention installation fees and what have you. I'm just kinda skeptical on putting all that extra power under your hood and not having to upgrade anything else? I mean Tidalwave supercharged a 2010 SE, and I can't imagine all they did was slap a SC on there and call it a day. I hope it all works out and turns out like you want it, and good on ya getting it on the low :smileup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you getting a used one? Most of the SC's I've seen don't even come close to being "just under 5k", not to mention installation fees and what have you. I'm just kinda skeptical on putting all that extra power under your hood and not having to upgrade anything else? I mean Tidalwave supercharged a 2010 SE, and I can't imagine all they did was slap a SC on there and call it a day. I hope it all works out and turns out like you want it, and good on ya getting it on the low :smileup:
http://www.tidalwavesupercharger.com/36.php

Check it out for yourself!:smileup:

The 'important part' if you don't want to read their page-

"TWSC 3.6 Pentastar Supercharger kit /Challenger /Charger.
$4400.00 (Diablo flash tuner not included)
$4795.00 (Includes Diablo Intune cmr)
Plus Shipping and handling."

Like I said, you should upgrade and do other mods, such as a CAI, catch can, stuff like that. However, the stuff that you need is INCLUDED in their kit that makes up the 4K+. Packaged deal :158:

·
Registered
584 Posts
That seems like a good deal. My opinion is that if I'm dropping nearly 5K on a supercharger for extra HP why not splurge and spend an extra 15 to 30 cents per gallon at the pump.

Usually with a performance tune they will suggest you run 91 or 93. I currently run a 91 tune and use 93 since there seems to be some variance between mid-grade in my area.

However if the supercharger works well with regular then go with it. I'm sure most of us wouldn't dream of putting regular in our babies.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That's awesome, looks like it will add some solid power to the 3.6! I've been back and forth and back and forth on deciding going the SC route or upgrading to a R/T. I've decided to get the R/T, mainly because I want the Hemi power AND I really want the 6 speed. If they made a 6 speed 3.6 then I would have a really hard time deciding.

Who are you getting to do the install and tuning for your SC? I expect to see lots of pics and whatnot whenever you get it done! Good luck on your SC journey!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That seems like a good deal. My opinion is that if I'm dropping nearly 5K on a supercharger for extra HP why not splurge and spend an extra 15 to 30 cents per gallon at the pump.

Usually with a performance tune they will suggest you run 91 or 93. I currently run a 91 tune and use 93 since there seems to be some variance between mid-grade in my area.

However if the supercharger works well with regular then go with it. I'm sure most of us wouldn't dream of putting regular in our babies.
Agreed! Premium fuel is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things!:smileup:
That's awesome, looks like it will add some solid power to the 3.6! I've been back and forth and back and forth on deciding going the SC route or upgrading to a R/T. I've decided to get the R/T, mainly because I want the Hemi power AND I really want the 6 speed. If they made a 6 speed 3.6 then I would have a really hard time deciding.

Who are you getting to do the install and tuning for your SC? I expect to see lots of pics and whatnot whenever you get it done! Good luck on your SC journey!
I too was on the back and forth between the R/T and Supercharger. I ended up on the supercharger side. Basically it came down to power, and cost. Supercharger = More power, less cost, when all is said and done. So, thats that lol. But yes if you want a manual then the R/T is the choice for you.
I plan on going to 'Granite State Dyno and Tune' in Hudson New Hampshire (I live in Nashua so its not far from me). They do 3 pulls on a dyno for 80 bucks. So I'll be doing before SC runs, and after. :SHOCKED:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts